my issues with wish list threads - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pour Some Shookup Ramen!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-02-19, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wrath
Corporal

my issues with wish list threads

ok there are a lot of threars on here with people posting new ideas for planetside next and i've been fairly negitive to most so thought i'd create a thread to explain.

now all the idea's i've seen are all very cool my issue with them is they are mostly about creating easy fixes for small issues people have with the game play, easy repairs/easy ammo/ easy respawns and the issue I have with that is that all the games that are out now make that all so easy cod, you take to much damage hide in a corner for 10 seconds bam full health.

bad company 2 you die at the front lines having snuck past a choke point no problem spawn on your team mate and have him through down an unlimited ammo crate.

but for me the fondest memorys for gaming are going back to playi9ng BF1942 desert combat , planetside being short on ammo and having to engineer your own fix to it. creating your own solutions to problem in the games design.

i've got 100+ memorys of stunts i've pulled of in planetside and desert combat which will stay with me forever yet cant honestly remember 1 from bad company 2 which I played for 4 months last year. for the reason everything was made so easy.
Old 2011-02-19, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: my issues with wish list threads

I rarely run out of ammo in planetside. Today in a tower farm I got over 15 softy kills with 250 MCG bullets and a few grenades. I mean you can run out of ammo, but it's really hard to. I can't figure out where these "we need more ammo" posts are coming from.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-02-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2011-02-19, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

None of the suggestions I've seen propose something as extreme as the games you listed. There are two extremes, you have to find the sweet spot
Old 2011-02-19, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I rarely run out of ammo in planetside. Today in a tower farm I got over 15 softy kills with 250 MCG bullets and a few grenades. I mean you can run out of ammo, but it's really hard to. I can't figure out where these "we need more ammo" posts are coming from.
That's amazing considering every TR I see holds down MCG and then starts running around corners and through hallways not letting go of that button till they've wiped out everyone around them. Perhaps that says something about the MCG clip more than anything :P

But yeah I've not found ammo a big issue in PS.
Old 2011-02-19, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
That's amazing considering every TR I see holds down MCG and then starts running around corners and through hallways not letting go of that button till they've wiped out everyone around them. Perhaps that says something about the MCG clip more than anything :P

But yeah I've not found ammo a big issue in PS.
It was a lot of flanking targets that weren't watching me. Not sure what that has to do with the MCG's clip, since I rarely got more than one or two kills per run. I wasn't mowing down 15 people a clip . I could have done the same with a jackhammer and a few boxes of ammo tbh.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-02-19 at 06:35 PM.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Skraeling
Private

respawning should be a bitch. ok maybe not a bitch but instant action is horseshit in a mmofps where attrition should mean something for craps sake.

If I kill 3-4 guys attacking my town / base / mother damnit it better mean something they should have to work at least a little bit to get back to the fight to come kill me.
Old 2011-02-20, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Wrath
Corporal

None of the suggestions I've seen propose something as extreme as the games you listed. There are two extremes, you have to find the sweet spot
I know there extremes but i've seen suggestions of deployable medical termals that heal players around it. deployable ammo termals for players just to refill at.

squad leader spawns, squad spawns they've all been thrown about some where.

games nowadays all make it so easy for players, ammo should be a limited resource you should be able to run out of itr and not just put down an ammo termal and spam grenades from behind a rock. other wise whats the point in having ammo in the game as a resource.

if somebody dies and cant be ressed it should take them a few minutes to get back to the fight. I dont mind so much them putting a few more AMS like options in the game so there are different means of people to create static spawn points outside I just dont want to see spawning on players inside bases on squad mates
Old 2011-02-20, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tikuto
Major

There are been uncountable amount sof ideas for PlanetSide. Some really stuck out in the past. Gunships and Ancient-Tech MAXS and stuff on DviddLeff's website.

It's an expression of passion. The ideas spawn from faith and respect of the game that is PlanetSide, and influenced from our emotive experiences and memories of the game. We all had a great time and would love to see the game become better, which it should be doing this year!

It's an expression of expectation. When we expect something and it doesn't happen we become disappointed greatly or somewhat... Always happens. People expected a good game from Global Agenda, expected changes to the better, and now look at it -- it's shit. Ancient-old ideas like the gunship must have encouraged the Galaxy Gunship to exist without a doubt and that thing is damn ugly. These are the only two problems I'm seeing with a Wishlist.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-02-20 at 06:17 AM.
Old 2011-02-20, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It was a lot of flanking targets that weren't watching me. Not sure what that has to do with the MCG's clip, since I rarely got more than one or two kills per run. I wasn't mowing down 15 people a clip . I could have done the same with a jackhammer and a few boxes of ammo tbh.
Yeah it wasn't directly related to you. You just reminded me of the annoying MCG and the way people use it. Spray and pray to the extreme.
A few years ago when I used it you had to burst fire or the accuracy would be so shit you wouldnt hit anything. Now all I see TR do is press the button down before they see anything, walk around a corner shooting, kill 2-3 of VS a person then let go of the button when were all dead :P

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-02-20 at 06:31 AM.
Old 2011-02-20, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Everyone has their own vision for the next game and there is allot of passion out there for PlanetSide. It wasn't massively successful in the grand scheme of things but this community is very passionate about their ideas and about this game.

The idea threads are an expression of that passion and it doesn't hurt to say what you would like for the game. Now certainly some of the ideas our outlandish.. but that doesn't mean they will be implemented.

It's healthy for a community such as this one to express their ideas openly, and the developers are reading it so that's even more incentive.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-20, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah it wasn't directly related to you. You just reminded me of the annoying MCG and the way people use it. Spray and pray to the extreme.
A few years ago when I used it you had to burst fire or the accuracy would be so shit you wouldnt hit anything. Now all I see TR do is press the button down before they see anything, walk around a corner shooting, kill 2-3 of VS a person then let go of the button when were all dead :P
The MCG hasn't changed in the past few years to my knowledge. And the best way to use it indoors is to hold down fire constantly, as your COF doesn't reset if you're taking constant damage. You can do the same with the lasher.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-02-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Wrath, your issue seems to be about people asking for the game to be made quicker and easier. While PS vets are used to the pace of the game, your old school FPS player has played in order(ish) Quake, UT, Team Fortress, Counterstrike, BF1942, Halo, BF2142, TF2, CoD: MW and BFBC2, in this vaguest of time lines you can see that game speed was initially high, slowed with CS and BF1942 and has been speeding back up since Halo. The new breed of FPS player have been weaned on CoD and Halo and they expect almost zero downtime.

Planetside 2 needs to cater for all styles of play and as long as their is a spawn point close enough to the front lines it will do so (ie, the zerg). The tactical players can still take their time to pull off the impressive feats, and that will naturally take time.

I do hope that respawning requires destroyable respawn points and we don't have people popping out of thin air around their squad leaders or have regenerating health without the help of a medic/engineer.

When did they change the MCG so that it doesn't bloom until the 11th shot or so? Basically a free kill when it only takes about 12 rounds to to the job; I have HA certed solely so I can loot the MCG as the Lasher is a poor substitute.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Miir
Malvision

I believe the way to make Planetside successful it to incorporate what the average FPS gamer is use to playing. Maybe they can have a Planetside Veteran toggle that allows you to do everything the slow way?

I'm a veteran player but after 8 years of playing other FPS games post Planetside I know what I like and the pace of PS needs work. Maybe it doesn't need to be as fast as current FPS titles but some slight adjustments would be most welcome.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post

When did they change the MCG so that it doesn't bloom until the 11th shot or so? Basically a free kill when it only takes about 12 rounds to to the job; I have HA certed solely so I can loot the MCG as the Lasher is a poor substitute.
It doesn't bloom until the 12th shot if you aren't being attacked.

If it's such a free kill machine why don't you go on tr and show us all how it's done? ^_^
Old 2011-02-20, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
I believe the way to make Planetside successful it to incorporate what the average FPS gamer is use to playing. Maybe they can have a Planetside Veteran toggle that allows you to do everything the slow way?

I'm a veteran player but after 8 years of playing other FPS games post Planetside I know what I like and the pace of PS needs work. Maybe it doesn't need to be as fast as current FPS titles but some slight adjustments would be most welcome.
agreed
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion