De-Sync / Lag / Hit reg. / whatever you want to call it. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your favorite past time, your favorite now time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-04, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
NotTheMomma
Corporal

Re: De-Sync / Lag / Hit reg. / whatever you want to call it.

This is a well-known set of issues that have been around since GU02, and it seems that each patch seems to introduce a new group to the club. See the thread titled "As well as the other problems, **** flying everywhere" on the SOE General Technical Support forums (currently 900+ posts, 37K+ views).

There's a workaround thread, as well as many other threads related or likely related. Many of the suggested tweaks are dubious or can have unintended consequences ... proceed at your own risk.

One idea that I think has some merit is that elements of the Asus motherboard software AI Suite and Gigabyte's Easy Tune mobo software seem to be triggering or worsening the problems for many people. Some people have reported improvement by simply uninstalling them or turning off (believe it or not) the sensor modules.

However, as I have noted on that other forum (hehe), there will be difficulty ascertaining when ones own desync issues have been mitigated, as long as one is encountering other players who are still desyncing.

Ultimately, after watching these issues evolve for over a month accompanied by reticence from the devs to issue anything more than the most general "we are looking into it" type comments, I suspect these problems have been a unintended side-effect of new anti-cheat code to combat speed-hackers. Almost all the player proposed work-arounds are related to system timing or the game's detection thereof: DPC latency, HPET, BCLK ratios, dynamic clock speeds, C-states, frequency monitors, etc.

Last edited by NotTheMomma; 2013-03-06 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 2013-03-05, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sifer2
Major

It's been around before the merge. Happens to me randomly then goes away. Which is really annoying since it just causes random situations like running into a room and putting 5 shotgun blasts into a guys chest, and nothing happens.
Old 2013-03-05, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
It's been around before the merge. Happens to me randomly then goes away. Which is really annoying since it just causes random situations like running into a room and putting 5 shotgun blasts into a guys chest, and nothing happens.
Ditto, pre- patch, pre- merge issue for me too
Old 2013-03-06, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
PTG HooT
Corporal

@NotTheMomma - i turned off my ASUS Easy Tune Mobo software and it completely killed the desync issues.

Thanks for the post!

If any of you has an ASUS Mobo and this software installed get turn it off!
Old 2013-03-06, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I'm a WAN technician. I'd love to see a Wireshark packet capture while this is happening.

Regarding the ASUS tune, it sounds like maybe the problem is related to some sort of speed stepping or something similar. Interestingly enough it caused some similar problems in PS1 if I recall.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2013-03-06, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
I'm a WAN technician. I'd love to see a Wireshark packet capture while this is happening.

Regarding the ASUS tune, it sounds like maybe the problem is related to some sort of speed stepping or something similar. Interestingly enough it caused some similar problems in PS1 if I recall.
In PS1 it basically made the player into a speedhacker ;P I had the issue on my laptop, which barely ran PS1 back then, but I could move at like 50x normal speed compared to playing on my desktop :O

I uninstalled Easy Tune 6 and it fixed the problem as well, what's weird is I never used Easy Tune. I had installed it to maybe mess around with it and decided not to, so it was never actually being used. I've had it installed since beta though, so it's an issue that's just now popping up for whatever reason.
Old 2013-03-06, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Hmm.. Can overclocking the system be a problem with that? I have my CPU and my GPU overclocked and sometimes I have to pump a whole shotgun magazine in a player to kill him... But only rarely.

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-03-06, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by PTG HooT View Post
@NotTheMomma - i turned off my ASUS Easy Tune Mobo software and it completely killed the desync issues.

Thanks for the post!

If any of you has an ASUS Mobo and this software installed get turn it off!
Easy tune... who overclocks with software?

This crap isnt on my rig and nor is the AI suit (Sabertooth mobo)... still having issues.

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Hmm.. Can overclocking the system be a problem with that? I have my CPU and my GPU overclocked and sometimes I have to pump a whole shotgun magazine in a player to kill him... But only rarely.

.sent via phone.
You may have a point here, Sturmhardt. 3930k @ 4.6Ghz and GTX 580 @ 920Mhz

Last edited by OCNSethy; 2013-03-06 at 03:48 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
NotTheMomma
Corporal

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
Easy tune... who overclocks with software?

This crap isnt on my rig and nor is the AI suit (Sabertooth mobo)... still having issues.

You may have a point here, Sturmhardt. 3930k @ 4.6Ghz and GTX 580 @ 920Mhz
People can use tools like AI Suite and Easy Tune for things other than overclocking. AI Suite II has a nice fan controller program in it, for example.

There appear to be a variety (or combination) of things that can trigger or worsen the symptoms (yes, Intel speed stepping is possibly one of them). They also appear to vary from rig to rig. For example, some people think that overclocking is a problem and others think overclocking is a solution. My reading of the issue is that a consistent, fixed overclock with stable timing is probably not a problem.

However, I'm very hesitant to say too much regarding any one player's particular situation. I kinda miss the bad old days when the BIOS was one screen.

Finally, people like you, Sturmhardt, may just be occasionally running across other players who are desyncing. That's the bitch of it for us and SOE trying to isolate the problem. Personally, I think I've got mine whipped, but that doesn't mean I don't occasionally go on some wild, warping rides in other peoples' vehicles sometimes, have infrequent hit registration problems or get into those ridiculous gunfights where both players kill each other within a few seconds.
Old 2013-03-06, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by NotTheMomma View Post
People can use tools like AI Suite and Easy Tune for things other than overclocking. AI Suite II has a nice fan controller program in it, for example.

There appear to be a variety (or combination) of things that can trigger or worsen the symptoms (yes, Intel speed stepping is possibly one of them). They also appear to vary from rig to rig. For example, some people think that overclocking is a problem and others think overclocking is a solution. My reading of the issue is that a consistent, fixed overclock with stable timing is probably not a problem.

~snip~
Fair call.
I use speed stepping to avoid a 24/7 OC and would hate for that to be an issue. As far as I can tell my OCs are solid (Prime/folding/Boincing). The only thing that as decreased the incidence for me is to turn foliage and particles from high to medium.
Old 2013-03-06, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Teiren
Private

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
I use speed stepping to avoid a 24/7 OC and would hate for that to be an issue. As far as I can tell my OCs are solid (Prime/folding/Boincing).
Same with me, solid overclock and I like that my system can drop from a 21 multiplier down to 12 to save on heat and electricity.

Personally I don't recall experiencing any desync issues until the server merge, so it seems mine is a more recent case. I do have Asus AI Suite 2 running though (for fan control), so I'm going to try disabling that to see if it remedies the issue.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
SternLX
Sergeant

Well, after a bit of testing with different settings in my AI Suit and MSI Afterburner(Riva Tuner) I have come to the conclusion that this is a System Timing bug in the Planetside2.exe. It's literally de-synching itself if any software overclocking software is running. Doesn't seem to be an issue if the OCing is done in BIOS/UEFI.

We(at Slightly Mad Studio's) ran into this issue last year with the newer version of the MADNESS Engine being used in Project C.A.R.S. The Tech director(Ged Keaveney) even whipped up an app that runs various microtimers along side the games executable to find the timer code that works best. Pretty cool stuff. Anyway, wishing the guys over at SOE the best of luck at solving their timer issues.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by SternLX View Post
Well, after a bit of testing with different settings in my AI Suit and MSI Afterburner(Riva Tuner) I have come to the conclusion that this is a System Timing bug in the Planetside2.exe. It's literally de-synching itself if any software overclocking software is running. Doesn't seem to be an issue if the OCing is done in BIOS/UEFI.

We(at Slightly Mad Studio's) ran into this issue last year with the newer version of the MADNESS Engine being used in Project C.A.R.S. The Tech director(Ged Keaveney) even whipped up an app that runs various microtimers along side the games executable to find the timer code that works best. Pretty cool stuff. Anyway, wishing the guys over at SOE the best of luck at solving their timer issues.
Bingo! MSI Afterburner... that, I am running. Great. I hope SOE comes up with sometime soon coz Im not running stock on my 580. Hmmm, funny since I lowered my settings in foliage and particles, Ive only had the occasional desync, unlike before - with each play session.

Thanks for your post, man. Appreciated.
Old 2013-03-06, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Good work, all. I like it when we tech-heads of our community come together to figure something out like this.

Stern, I hope the devs see your post! It might even be pertinent to PM one of them with your findings.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2013-03-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 2013-03-07, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
PTG HooT
Corporal

Nicely done fellas. Would be nice to see a thanks line from the Devs on here
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion