Nvidia GTX 690 (May 3rd) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Damn you, monkey! Oh, damn you to hell!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-04-29, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zulthus
Colonel

Nvidia GTX 690 (May 3rd)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403717,00.asp

What a monster. I want it.

$1000 bucks is insane though... probably well worth it.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-04-29 at 06:25 PM.
Old 2012-04-29, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Nvidia GTX 690 (May 3rd)

If you are looking for a single card to last quite a few years this will be the one to get. I know the price is steep, but two 680s still cost $1000. Just your choice on whether you want two cards or a single one.
Old 2012-04-29, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

That thing looks ridiculously amazing. I don't think I could ever drop a grand on one component though, even if it is 2 680's in 1.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
If you are looking for a single card to last quite a few years this will be the one to get.
"Lasting a few years" by going top of the line like this is a fool's errand. You'll save money and be more up to date buying the x70 or x60 version of the current tech every year.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Regardless it will still likely play games for awhile. I know of a lot of people who just love buying the high end and sit with it for years. I don't recommend doing it, but this card is still very capable for a few years. See what happens when the consoles finally come out. That maybe a nail in the coffin for many cards.
Old 2012-04-30, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

$1000 for Americans, $1029 for Europeans (€829) and $1345 for England (£829).

I'm growing increasingly irritated by how deeply we're being fucked price-wise over here.
Old 2012-04-30, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

That including VAT?
Old 2012-04-30, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
$1000 for Americans, $1029 for Europeans (€829) and $1345 for England (£829).

I'm growing increasingly irritated by how deeply we're being fucked price-wise over here.
Well, $30 ain't much, but England is getting raped. I'm surprised no one has sprung up to ship stuff. It can't possibly cost more than the price difference for the international shipping.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

That including VAT?
Not even.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Not even.
You guys get hosed over there. What about the AMD prices? Those seem a lot lower.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Vancha
Colonel

You guys get hosed over there. What about the AMD prices? Those seem a lot lower.
Lets take this (< click) as a random example, we pay a minimum of $600. $951.08 for the cheapest 6990 I can find (but prices/availability seem to be pretty screwy for that thing).
Old 2012-04-30, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403717,00.asp

What a monster. I want it.

$1000 bucks is insane though... probably well worth it.
What a waste.

Seriously, if you havend figured it yet: SLI/Crossfire/Dual GPU is a massive massive waste, unless you use it for certain applications that actually use two GPUs.
Games are not counted as such applications.

So far, not a single game came even close to have double performance from a SLI setup. In fact, most games are still running perfectly fine on a GTX 280. In double fact, all games i play, even those very new ones, are still running fine on MY GTX 280.
Right now its the time to move forward from that GTX 280 (GTX 570 in shipping atm ), but clearly its a massive waste to get a GTX 680, or even 690 right now.
For once, Nvidia cards suck balls. Their GPUs are completly awesome, but they dont have a clue how to put a proper card together. Then, the price will drop rapidly in a few month.
But most important: a single GTX 570 will be fine for the next bunch of years. a GTX 680 may hold a year longer, but that single year isnt worth double the price. But a 690? That thing may, if games start to use SLI well enough in the future (they wont), may be powerful enough for another 6 month extra. And thats it. You just payed 5 times the price of my GTX 570 (200 €) to get yourself a 690, and all you get is that your card MAY be good for an extra one and a half year.
And that ONLY if games start using SLI properly, and ONLY if no new super awesome tech comes out.
Sadly, games wont ever start using SLI properly, and the next super awesome tech is already coming...
Old 2012-04-30, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
What a waste.

Seriously, if you havend figured it yet: SLI/Crossfire/Dual GPU is a massive massive waste, unless you use it for certain applications that actually use two GPUs.
Games are not counted as such applications.

So far, not a single game came even close to have double performance from a SLI setup. In fact, most games are still running perfectly fine on a GTX 280. In double fact, all games i play, even those very new ones, are still running fine on MY GTX 280.
Right now its the time to move forward from that GTX 280 (GTX 570 in shipping atm ), but clearly its a massive waste to get a GTX 680, or even 690 right now.
For once, Nvidia cards suck balls. Their GPUs are completly awesome, but they dont have a clue how to put a proper card together. Then, the price will drop rapidly in a few month.

But most important: a single GTX 570 will be fine for the next bunch of years. a GTX 680 may hold a year longer, but that single year isnt worth double the price. But a 690? That thing may, if games start to use SLI well enough in the future (they wont), may be powerful enough for another 6 month extra. And thats it. You just payed 5 times the price of my GTX 570 (200 €) to get yourself a 690, and all you get is that your card MAY be good for an extra one and a half year.
And that ONLY if games start using SLI properly, and ONLY if no new super awesome tech comes out.
Sadly, games wont ever start using SLI properly, and the next super awesome tech is already coming...
I'm just saying I want it. If it wasn't obvious already I'm not actually buying it.

If Nvidia sucks balls, why not go with AMD?

Yeah, sure, if you want to run all of your games on ugly graphics settings. The 280 and the 460 (My current card) are about on equal terms, and I can barely maintain 30FPS on BF3 at maxed out settings. Graphics are only advancing and very soon I will need to replace my card with something better. It's good that you know for sure that games won't properly utilize SLI.

The whole point of the 690 is to have a SLI setup in a one card configuration that runs cooler and quieter than having two 680's set up together. If you have the money for it, it isn't a waste.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't understand your rant at all, Basti. SLI has demonstrated significant performance gains with modern titles, to the point that in some circumstances two cheaper SLi cards beat more a more expensive single card in $/frame rate. nVidia and developers do a reasonably good job at supporting it in major titles these days.
Perhaps you haven't been paying much attention since you got that 280? (I just went from a 275 to a 570 this past winter, nice card)
Really, you've offered no reason nVidia's current cards suck except "they can't put a card together" which really isn't a reason that stands up to scrutiny unless you elaborate.

Personally I'm a fan going single-card, simply for efficiency/sound level reasons, and my opinion on the 690 is above, honestly it applies to the 680 too. The highest end cards have always been "excess" for people with more money than brains and "professionals".
I see no reason the mid-range cards in the 600 series are going to suck, 650-670.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-05-01 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

@ Basti just so you know the 670 and 660 Ti are coming out in the middle of May. Price tag for the 670 is $400 and 660 Ti probably $300 to combat the 7800 series.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum