PSU: was rejected!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-05-13, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
termhn
Sergeant

Day Z: An ArmA II Zombie simulation mod

A fast-rising ArmA II mod called Day Z recently came on my radar and I'll definitely be playing it when I get my new computer. Check it out here. There's a crap ton of streams going on on twitch.tv right now and a bunch of youtube videos as well:
http://www.dayzmod.com/

If you need some help getting started, both of these vids are great:

THEN WATCH THIS TOO! GET YOURSELF SOME GREAT LOOT

How to loot electro - YouTube

Embrace the Shadows.

Last edited by termhn; 2012-05-27 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Day Z: An ArmA II Zombie simulation mod

Been looking at this today after reading the rockpapershotgun stories.

Looks amazing - just a shame that I do not own ArmAII or the expansion as I ended up returning it to the store due to the bugs...

I may wait until its a bit more developed and I can get the base game for cheaper...
Old 2012-05-15, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MBRicochet
Private

It's very cool.

If I've found anything to be a major downer...

Arma aiming+Fast zombies= me bashing my head against a wall.
Plus the game has no melee system...

You really have to sneak around to do anything alone or you get chased down and beaten. It's not impossible, but it makes for very obnoxious gameplay.

Love the concept though! I just wish Arma 2 was more intuitive and had more satisfying weapon handling.
Old 2012-05-16, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Naz The Eternal
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Hmmm curious to hear what others have experienced with this, just finished downloading, but not sure what to make of it yet :/

OUTFIT OFFICER
Vanu Sovereignty
Old 2012-05-18, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

On the brink of buying this, just want to get some of my outfit to do the same...
Old 2012-05-18, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

Just a heads up Army 2 Combined Arms Download is half off on amazon, only 15 bucks and I figured why not. We should get a PSU group going!
Old 2012-05-19, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I just started the download [Edit - Ill be in game tonight]

If anyone wants to play together feel free to use my outfits TS server, PM me and Ill give you the details.

Looking to survive and avoid becoming a bandit for as long as possible...

Last edited by DviddLeff; 2012-05-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
termhn
Sergeant

We should totally get a PSU group going! Just downloaded it yesterday (just got my new comp up and running yesterday ) and I've already done some. I'm on the outside of a semi-major town and ready to loot it, but it gets nerve racking without people in a group lol

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Here is the map of the game world.
http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/images/1/18/Map_Chernarus.jpg

Here is my story of my first day:
http://www.thevindicators.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16647
Old 2012-05-20, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

can anyone help with how to install with a non-steam version. iv googled it and there are like 20 different ways. and please dont link me to the wiki and stuff iv tried all that. if someone here could walk me through it im not stupid i just don't understand wht's wrong, i have followed the directions exactly the only part i dont understand is this.

Make a shortcut to your ARMA2 exe file and add "-nosplash -mod=@dayz" without quotes in the target line so it looks like this "C:Program FilesBohemia InteractiveArmA 2arma2OA.exe" -noSplash -mod=@dayz
Click the shortcut to start ARMA2 with Dayz enabled
help please

Last edited by The Desert Fox; 2012-05-20 at 09:23 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
blackfang
Private

My second life story is pretty cool. My first was boring since all i did was running until i eventually found a rifle then trying myself at a village just to be shot by some sniper. I know because i heard the bullet and saw the guy.

My second life is however very different, i started at the beach. A survivor with a few mags for my makarov. Nothing good really. I headed inlands, raiding barn after barn and earning a lot of cool stuff. I even found an ak and a pkm or something (uzi) with no ammo, it was on a bandit. Anyways, i ran onwards very far. Eventually i reached this town with my recently acquired enfield. I had racked up 50 zombies killed by this time. Its pretty good, anyways i tried to get in and eventually i got into the barn. Running, one zombie saw me and i had to loose a shot at it. Not a good idea, suddenly there were around 60 zombies heading in. I killed 30 or so but then i was out of bullets. With no bullets where i was i had to take a chance. Running through the zombie horde and up the stairs on the other side of the barn. I found a winchester. I quickly dispatched of the reast having racked up a kill count of 109 all in all.

After this, i headed back to the coast. I needed pain killers and there were none inland. I couldn't find any painkillers of morphine at all. My entire screen was shaking, now i was getting close to banota (the village with the airstrip close to chernogorsk) killing one zombie here and there to avoid getting seen. Eventually i came to the airstrip. It being empty of people and zombies i looted tons of stuff. Keeping my winchester and looting a g19 or something? Along with smoke grenades and a lot of useless stuff. Then i heard shooting. There were several shots, and from what i could hear there were two survivors of the gunfights. I tried to contact them but they didnt answer. Eventually they found out where i was and tried to hit me from the top, with no luck for either of us. Then one of them opened the door at the bottom. I was still shaking from the fight with the 60 zombies in the barn. So i missed twice and hit three times. He hit me as well, we both went down. His friend got all my loot and his friend's loot as well. It was pretty awesome
Old 2012-05-21, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
KiddParK
Contributor
Captain

my son texts me last night.. 'dad.. i have to get this Arma II mod.. can i buy it?'

although this does happen weekly, this one looks good.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

After a huge hassle i finally got it to work and so far it seems worth it, playing at night really sucks though. so lets get a group going!
Old 2012-05-22, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I've been lone wolfing it for a while trying to get a feel for the mod, but I don't have a lot of time usually so it's pretty slow going. I did learn that the Enfield should be renamed the Zombie Spawner, and that you can't trust anyone.

That's actually been eye opening for me. I always figured it might be kind of fun to try to survive after some kind of apocalypse, team up with other people, build safe havens, go out looking for supplies and that sort of thing. But playing this mod a bit I've realized in that situation trusting a random stranger with your life is a tough call, especially when you have equipment he could use for himself. I've actually had someone pretend to team up with me just to shoot me in the back the second I turned around, even though I had barely anything more than the starting equipment.

I imagine it only gets worse further in when you're decked out in great weapons, maps, GPS and so on. You really can't trust anyone except people you know from outside the game.

Last edited by Gandhi; 2012-05-22 at 03:57 AM.
Old 2012-05-22, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
duomaxwl
Captain

I broke down and bought ARMA2:CO from Amazon for $15. I look forward to playing this.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion