Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-08-14, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Minecraft - Whatcha doing rite now?

Originally Posted by Mr DeCastellac View Post
One thing you must understand about Warborn: He's just a troll who wants people to get in an argument, mixed with a hipster who hates anything mainstream.

An annoying combination indeed.
Look at you, random Internet poster I've never seen before with his breathtaking understanding of me. Please, tell me more amazing insights about myself. I am an open book before you.

Originally Posted by Greeniegriz View Post
Lol, you mad about something? Notch take your candy?
He took my money and then stopped developing his game in any serious sense. This happens with all these indie titles. You support them and then they go all Scrooge McDuck and swim around in their pile of money instead of finishing their game.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-08-14 at 11:28 PM.
Old 2012-08-15, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
He took my money and then stopped developing his game in any serious sense.
The game has a small team continuously working on it forever. Not sure what else you could ask for. They're currently making a real mod API I believe which is taking a while. A good way to play it is to stop playing it for a year then jump back in. I did that and now there's a bunch of new stuff I've never seen.
Old 2012-08-15, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Look at you, random Internet poster I've never seen before with his breathtaking understanding of me. Please, tell me more amazing insights about myself. I am an open book before you.
I'm not even going to dignify this with a real response.
Old 2012-08-15, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Mr DeCastellac View Post
I'm not even going to dignify this with a real response.
Oh darn, I was so looking forward to the other amazing things you had to tell me about myself.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
The game has a small team continuously working on it forever. Not sure what else you could ask for. They're currently making a real mod API I believe which is taking a while. A good way to play it is to stop playing it for a year then jump back in. I did that and now there's a bunch of new stuff I've never seen.
They have done basically nothing to improve the game. The only people in anything like active development on the game are the modders. Everyone else involved in the Minecraft official development team are just cashing cheques and making half-assed updates once a year. It sucks, because when I bought the game many years ago, I was really looking forward to what they'd do with it. Indie developers need to finish their games, even if their games really hit the ground running.
Old 2012-08-15, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
wormywyrm
Private

Minecraft is a crazy addictive game. PvP is lacking because its difficult to find other players to fight with (there are very few good pvp servers with world maps) so sadly it gets boring. Also theres amazing amazing mods out there for it but there is very poor mod support for multiplayer right now so you have to choose the best mods vs playing with other people, sadly. A shame since there are so many servers that every mod could have its own server if only they were properly supported.
Old 2012-08-16, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Before you respond to him again, just remember these wise words:

"He who fights with a fool,
Becomes a fool."

Or as we would say today: Don't feed the troll
Old 2012-08-16, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

He (Notch) took my money as well. However, I enjoy the game whenever I play it regardless of whether it is actually "complete/done"... Fair trade...

Cheers,

GG

Sent from Auraxis using Tapatalk HD

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Old 2012-08-17, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I can't remember how much I paid for Minecraft but I agree I got my money's worth. I'm just more reluctant to actually pay for indie games at this point, because it seems like anytime an indie game gets popular and does well, development essentially ceases.
Old 2012-08-19, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
BudBrain
Private

Not a huge fan of Minecraft myself, even though I bought it and played it for a few hours.

That said, I think this is the problem with releasing a game to the public whilst still in alpha/beta; by the time it hits official release then everyone thinks its been out for years and moans when progress slows.

( Hope the same doesn't happen with PS2 )

People also seem to have backwards views on what an 'indie' developer really is these days. They have every right to grow their business and work on other projects once their game is released (as Notch is doing now) and they don't really have any obligation to keep adding stuff. The fact that they do is a bonus and that (imo) is what makes a developer an indie developer...the love of their game.

Valve still seem like an indie developer to me, just a really fking huge and awesome one.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion