WDS is finally not ridiculous - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a swift kick in the nuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-10-21, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
camycamera
Major

WDS is finally not ridiculous

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/wds

now, who is winning today? VS.

who is winning this week? VS.

and who is winning this season? VS.

looks like these changes worked, because the WDS is finally balanced.

maybe forumside will stop with TR hating season and move on with VS hating season

although i think the NC are still going to complain that they are UP on forumside, although this week NC are 10,000 points ahead of TR, and not far behind today.

so rejoice NC and VS!
Old 2013-10-21, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: WDS is finally not ridiculous

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
https://players.planetside2.com/#!/wds

looks like these changes worked, because the WDS is finally balanced.

maybe forumside will stop with TR hating season and move on with VS hating season

although i think the NC are still going to complain that they are UP on forumside, although this week NC are 10,000 points ahead of TR, and not far behind today.

so rejoice NC and VS!
Population and warpgate ownership are the two biggest factors.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-10-21, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Population and warpgate ownership are the two biggest factors.
yep, that would explain it.

i guess i don't feel cheap now with all of my boosts i got, i felt a bit sorry for the NC and VS....
Old 2013-10-21, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I guess it's the VS's time to shine and be hated on

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-10-21, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

On miller i noticed the VS population drastically increased in the past week(s).
Might just be my odd times playing, but if i want the underdog feeling i actually have to switch over to TR now lol (or NC, but...naaah).
Old 2013-10-22, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I have always said the VS cry louder and they always get what they want. Anyway seems VS and NC are fighting the TR more than each other lately. At least at Mattherson.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-10-22 at 12:28 AM.
Old 2013-10-22, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
OmegaPREDATOR
Corporal

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post

As TR win the 5 weeks, you may wait lots of time to say changes are balanced.

Waiting the real WDS to see what will happen, but it will not be balanced. As SOE finally recognise Indar North WG give an advantage, with 3 factions and 5 weeks, to be fear each faction must be in this WG 11 days and 16h ... will never arrive.

And of course the population is something who will never be fear as they can't do something to population balance.

So everyone will be able to whine about each one for a long time

Last edited by OmegaPREDATOR; 2013-10-23 at 03:34 AM.
Old 2013-10-22, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
On miller i noticed the VS population drastically increased in the past week(s).
Might just be my odd times playing, but if i want the underdog feeling i actually have to switch over to TR now lol (or NC, but...naaah).
Maybe 20 to 30 people max. I really wouldn't call this a "drastic increase" in the past few weeks. Also the fourth faction might play into this. And TR pretty much never is the underdog. Unless your are playing around 2 to 4 am. Granted, their numbers took a hit, but I suppose thats the 4th factioners.

http://www.therebelscum.net/world-po...,1382446969148

If anything I see a rather depressing overall downwards trend. But that applies for all factions.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-10-22 at 06:15 AM.
Old 2013-10-22, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

Regarding the title of this thread...

It was glaringly obvious that something was wrong with how WDS played out early on.
Instead of fixing the reasons behind the skewed result when everyone was measured by the same yard stick, they just changed how things are measured.

Having the north gate STILL dominates Indar (and corresponding gates on other continents), having the largest population is STILL dominating the server. You're just rewarded differently in a system detached from what's really playing out on the map.

So, in my oppinion, WDS is still ridiculous, they're just doing a better job hiding it.

Last edited by Boomzor; 2013-10-22 at 08:17 AM.
Old 2013-10-22, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

One funny thing about the WDS is that you're now punished for focusing on alerts that do not take place on Indar, in the sense that the new rules reward fighting on a populated continent. So when say the TR on Miller tries to get dominating victories on Esamir or Amerish then they are punishing themselves when it comes to WDS points.
Basicly if you want to win WDS then it seems like it's best to stay on Indar at all times, because that's where most of the players are most of the time.

Or have I misunderstood the situation?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-10-22 at 08:34 AM.
Old 2013-10-22, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Boomzor View Post
Regarding the title of this thread...

It was glaringly obvious that something was wrong with how WDS played out early on.
Instead of fixing the reasons behind the skewed result when everyone was measured by the same yard stick, they just changed how things are measured.

Having the north gate STILL dominates Indar (and corresponding gates on other continents), having the largest population is STILL dominating the server. You're just rewarded differently in a system detached from what's really playing out on the map.

So, in my oppinion, WDS is still ridiculous, they're just doing a better job hiding it.
This is called "perception engineering". Changing the way people look at the problem instead of fixing the problem. Oh, not problem, i mean issue. (See what I did there?)
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-10-22, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
One funny thing about the WDS is that you're now punished for focusing on alerts that do not take place on Indar, in the sense that the new rules reward fighting on a populated continent.
If enough players leave indar to fight for the alert then it is the alert continent that gains the point value, not Indar.

This is why we added the ability to award points for winning alerts. We haven't enabled it yet due to negative stigma and culture that has developed around Alerts, and because we need to see the scoring results so we can come up with a good value for them.

To correct this problem we want to make sure Alerts are worth enough that if you avoid them you are handing a lot of points to another empire, and if you attend and lose you are at least earning a lot of points due to enemy population shift to the Alert continent.
Old 2013-10-22, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

How about we turn Alerts off for a week and see how things play out?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-10-22, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Selerox
Sergeant

Exclamation Re: WDS is finally not ridiculous

It's the North Indar Warpgate. Every time it's the same. Whoever has that has the advantage, it's always been that way and it'll stay that way until something changes.

I'm all in favour of shifting the Indar WG positions, but I genuinely don't know how you could accomplish that without a fairly dramatic redesign. The only thing I can think of is maybe rotating the position of the WGs slightly:

SW Warpgate -> Hvar
North Warpgate -> Mao
SE Warpgate -> Tawrich

That's a pretty crude example, but that's the general idea. Whatever it takes to stop whichever faction has the North WG having a free reign across the North of the continent.
Old 2013-10-22, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
If enough players leave indar to fight for the alert then it is the alert continent that gains the point value, not Indar.

This is why we added the ability to award points for winning alerts. We haven't enabled it yet due to negative stigma and culture that has developed around Alerts, and because we need to see the scoring results so we can come up with a good value for them.

To correct this problem we want to make sure Alerts are worth enough that if you avoid them you are handing a lot of points to another empire, and if you attend and lose you are at least earning a lot of points due to enemy population shift to the Alert continent.
So I'm a little confused. You're wanting to leverage the Alert system into WDS scoring to get populations to move from continent to continent? Is this to even out populations across continents or to get people to fight in more places?

If its to even populations, why not put more worth on lower population continents and the pops will balance themselves out across continents as squads go to the lower pop continent that gives more benefit?

If you're running it to get people to fight on other conts, why not explicitly rotate the continent where scores are calculated? Say, i don't know...when warpgates are rotated. Simply rotate the cont. or better yet, why not explicitly have 9 rounds i mean there are 3 different conts and 3 WG locations so there are 9 permutations.

yes I'm being a bit sarcastic there, (not so much about the first one tho) but if you're going to have to orchestrate such a contrived construct to promote some arbitrary "goal" or "engineer" an engagement, just give up on persistent nature of things and go round based.

Or you could duplicate the continents, flip them and put a "II" or "III" on their names, and put WGs between them so there's some global flow to battles. Then you can replace the dupes with new ones as they're created.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion