What scares me most of all. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tango down!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-02-25, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: What scares me most of all.

Originally Posted by 0Shadow0 View Post
No let pilots keep MA, I for one do not want them to be able to use HA / AV. Let them drop if they want but they will have to find a useable equipment terminal to suit up in rexo before they can use their HA. This way it allows fast response outfits to remain but transport vehicles will actually be used.
The only reason I say no MA, is because I can really go toe to toe with HA most of the time. I'm not trying to be a Bags and toot my own horn here ( ) but just last night I was 1 on 1 against an MCG in a tower and came out on top. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough and I know I'm not the only one. If I'm in a CQB situation, HA should pwn me as a pilot.

Ideally, what I'd like to see is like a sub machinegun type weapon for pilots. Something that can give you some defense, but on 1v1, you'll be outmatched.
Old 2011-02-25, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
brinkdadrink
Corporal

Not saying do away with Battle ranks just saying higher battle ranks shouldnt allow you to become a one man army which is what the game was about anyway.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
This could all be settled if we identify the primary use of the aircraft in question and stick with that definition.

• Galaxy - transport of troops to battle (or whatever).
  • Mosquito - Combat air patrol (CAP)

If we limit the use of these particular aircraft to those appropriate roles, then we possibly settle the issue. In other words, you can bail from a Galaxy to drop as airborne troops. You cannot bail from a Mosquito with gear equal to a troop dropping from a Galaxy. Period.
Interesting thoughts.

Although I do find it strange all the folks complaining about how it kills infantry to fast. I mean, I've killed with it and been killed by it before but I've never thought of that aspect as a "Problem" where I do think that all of the hot dropping from it is indeed a problem.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-25, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Interesting thoughts.

Although I do find it strange all the folks complaining about how it kills infantry to fast. I mean, I've killed with it and been killed by it before but I've never thought of that aspect as a "Problem" where I do think that all of the hot dropping from it is indeed a problem.
I agree with ya here. What I think they should do is greatly increase the timers for vehicles, or at least aircraft. It seems the only time I ever see my timer on my Reaver is when I get camped on the V-pad. If the timers are alot longer, then they won't be as disposable.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Timantium
Sergeant

Originally Posted by brinkdadrink View Post
A tank driver cant jump out of his vehicle till it come to a stop so why should a plane be able to do it.
Because hopefully a plane that is fully stopped in PS:N is on the ground. Planes that stop in the air should crash. Pilots who jump out should have to float down with a giant parachute or take fall damage. They already incorporate fall dmg with some things, why not bailing pilots/gunners.

Last edited by Timantium; 2011-02-25 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm all against 1 man armies. I think at BR20, you had enough certs to be versatile enough.
I'm going to expand upon this. Limiting the number of certifications a character can achieve improves teamplay. By requiring individuals to work together, from an assortment of different playstyles, you get a much better gaming experience. If everything stays remotely the same, armies who work together and create bonds will obviously overcome those that do not. MMO means massive multiplayer online. In terms of historical example, massivity and multiplayer gameplay is what planetside had in it's first two years. Keep those core principles.

Do not reduce the cost of certifications over time, unless you replace those certifications with new content. Do not let characters increase themselves past BR20/CR5. Instead, make use of their extra experience points to put it towards something that improves sociability, such as non-gameplay modifying redemptions (skins, models, decals, etc.) Anything that can be done to keep the core foundation intact whilst increasing teamplay and sociability will make this game better.

If they give this game solo play, I don't think I'll be sitting around for too long. Reclusive behavior in an MMO will destroy it's community.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Miir
Malvision

I agree 100%... players should not be OMA's.

People should have to commit to play a certain roll. (pilot air/ground, medic, sniper, engineer, ninja, advance weapons etc). A career class of sorts.

You should be able to change it like the current system of re-certing with a cool down period.

But nothing more than that.

Last edited by Miir; 2011-02-25 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
brinkdadrink
Corporal

What if instead of falling straight down when you hot drop they fall in an arc depending on the speed they were going when they drop. The damage done would be depending on how fast they are falling forward.

ex/ mos at low altitude going extremely fast will die when he hits because lots of forward motion

A galaxy that stops over a base drops every does no damage because no forward motion.

a mos going kinda slow hops out at high altitude would be hurt very little or not at all because his forward motion would slow as he fell.

This would make it harder to aim a hot drop and slow down vehicles so if your doing a strafing run in a mos and get shot to bail you will die anyway. If your hovering and you bail you wont die but since your hovering your mos will die very quickly and wont be able to really kill many as long as there is AA.

This solves i few problems i think. Thoughts?
Old 2011-02-25, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Timantium View Post
Because hopefully a plane that is fully stopped in PS:N is on the ground. Planes that stop in the air should crash.
No no no. Let the planes act like helicopters. I don't want to need a runway just to put my bird down for some quick repairs.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Timantium
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
No no no. Let the planes act like helicopters. I don't want to need a runway just to put my bird down for some quick repairs.
Ok, so establish a landing or takeoff cycle that the plane can enter into. Fixed.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Raymac
Brigadier General

Ok, so establish a landing or takeoff cycle that the plane can enter into. Fixed.
Nope. Hover should stay. If AA catches you hovering, you are dead. It's "fixed" as it stands right now.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Timantium
Sergeant

Ray, this is not really the thread to argue hover aircraft or not hover aircraft so I'm not going to push it, we simply disagree. I was simply answering the question about drivers not being able to bail from tanks until they stop when people do it from planes all the time. I personally want the pilot parachute - a big purple one for me.

One man army and how to reduce/eliminate this was the topic in case you are wondering.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Raymac
Brigadier General

One man army and how to reduce/eliminate this was the topic in case you are wondering.
Yeah, Timmy. I get it. You'll notice that threads here tend to go off on tangents. I try not to do it, but shit happens.
Old 2011-02-25, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Aractain
Major

I agree with the one man army stuff being a big issue.

There is two extreams on one side you have everyone is 100% effective at everything and on the other we need a Tank MAX and some healers to take down the enemy leader...

Solo players should have fun, all the time. They, of course, will die a lot but the game play (even when they die) has to be fun. Now when they link up with teamwork they should have MORE fun. That means it has to be simple and effective. (so: sharing of XP, XP while dead, significant base capture rewards, maybe things like more XP when different weapon types hit the same target etc).

When I say teamwork I mean everything from shooting the same target as some other random person on your faction to being in a coordinated squad running multiplue vehicles with full voice comms.

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-02-25 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2011-02-25, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Limiting what players can do isn't going to force good teamwork. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what players can or cannot do, good teamwork is still just that. Either it is there, or it isn't.

Limiting certs isn't necessarily the answer either. It doesn't matter if you can fly or drive every vehicle in the game, you can only do one at a time.

Rather than tightly limiting the number of things you can cert, they may want to consider how some of the equipment works. If ReXo had only 1 large weapon slot, and 1 rifle sized slot, you wouldn't see HA/HA or HA/AV. Another thing to consider would be removing the self application of med and engy tools.

Make some changes to the way things are balanced. Don't limit soldiers to roles that feel as restricted as classes. This is a video game. Let characters advance as far as they can go. Again, there is nothing wrong with eventually be able to learn it all as long as all of those things are balanced properly.

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2011-02-25 at 03:23 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion