Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There's the East side, west side; and now the Planet side. What's next?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?
Yay 398 80.73%
Nay 95 19.27%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-25, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Knotz
Sergeant

Re: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
That's a whole nother debate in itself which would probably be discussed after [and if] the animations are confirmed in the first place. Personally I'm ok with it, though i know a lot of people would complain.
Ohhh hell no! hell hell hell hell no!!!

If you go invincible for the few seconds it takes the animation to play out, then the whole mechanic is broken. If I can see a body, and I put enough bullets on that body to take it down, it shouldnt matter if that body is standing still in the middle of a field or entering a vehicle... THEY SHOULD GO DOWN!!!
Old 2012-06-25, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Crator
Major General

^^^ Has anyone ever done that before though? I'd admit, it would be nice! But technically, how hard is that to achieve?
Old 2012-06-25, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Yes I want them, but they aren't a top priority and I'll take them if and when we get them. I really enjoyed them but they will take a lot of extra animating and modeling work and they aren't super critical to gameplay
Old 2012-06-25, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
SealedSun
Contributor
Private

Thumbs up Re: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?

I'd like to see a return of entry/exit animations for three reasons:

1) Coolness-factor: When I first saw the entry/exit animations in the original Planetside, I was like "holy ****, this must be the future of gaming!" I pretty much picked up Planetside just because of these animations.

2) Immersion: Entry/exit-animations make watching your squad prepare for battle an epic experience in itself. Watching people just wink out of existence is rather anti-climactic. A lot of elements in Planetside 1 favoured "authenticity" over "streamlined gameplay". In some cases it was bad (narrow corridors, Interlink layout) but in most other cases, I found the attention to detail to be awesome (the animations, noticeable difference in engine power/weight between vehicles)

This is all nice, but most important is definitely

3) Fairness: Whether to try and enter/exit a vehicle should be a difficult decision. It should take time, and it should make you vulnerable (if not in terms of being shot at, at the very least in terms of being spotted). Quite frankly, I find tank combat in BF3 ridiculous, with missile-launcher-wielding engineers popping out of the secondary gunner seat to fire off a shot and then hopping back in to avoid the retaliating tank's own shell.

I really hope, that we will see awesome vehicle entry/exit animations again. They are a big part of what defines the original Planetside for me.
Old 2012-06-25, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Froglicker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Flisher View Post
Instant in/out of vehicule or hotseat switch from driver to gunner are a no-no for me.

Hotseat switch from gunner/passenger make sense in some vehicule...
I agree. Hotseat switching for gunner/passengers is fine but absolutely not okay for a driver; it gives less incentive for teamplay. Enter/exit animations for vehicles would add a risk to self repairing already powerful vehicles and encourage tactical retreats rather than just bailing at the very last second and still be perfectly fine.
Old 2012-06-25, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
outsider
Private

I liked it in the first one, watching everyone in a sund all getting out at once. It's really hard to say if no exit/entry animation will look stupid or not until I can see it in game.

It's the little things like these that make games go from cool to epic and seeing people getting in and out of vehicles when preparing for a big push looked great
Old 2012-06-25, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
TeaLeaf
Corporal

Would I prefer to have them? Yeah. Obviously.

Will it really effect my enjoyment at all? Barely.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

If you don't add animations (immediately), at least at icons on the floor where you have to stand to enter.
It's rediciculous you can enter a jet aircraft from the tail.

Last edited by fvdham; 2012-06-25 at 07:14 PM.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Kyros
Corporal

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
Ohhh hell no! hell hell hell hell no!!!

If you go invincible for the few seconds it takes the animation to play out, then the whole mechanic is broken. If I can see a body, and I put enough bullets on that body to take it down, it shouldnt matter if that body is standing still in the middle of a field or entering a vehicle... THEY SHOULD GO DOWN!!!
I was agreeing with you. But that's not what this thread is about.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
If you don't add animations (immediately), at least at icons on the floor where you have to stand to enter.
It's rediciculous you can enter a jet aircraft from the tail.
Agreed.

It is kinda silly to be able to do that and the PS1 system with icons on the ground is clear, intuitive, fast...and just works.

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
If you go invincible for the few seconds it takes the animation to play out, then the whole mechanic is broken.
Yes, you bring up a very important point.

However, that's probably something to discuss after the actual decision has been made to add any boarding animations to the game.

Just don't think we should make any premature assumptions about the mere addition of these animations automatically messing up any PvP aspects of the game.

I'm sure the devs could come up with a working design for it that is both sensible and fair.

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-06-25 at 07:45 PM.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Fanglord
Sergeant

Er just a thought, a quick solution whilst they are being decided upon/dev'd; would it not be possible to just like a small camera dip to indicate that you are getting in a vehicle and also adds a delay to getting in the vehicle to make it meaningful choice.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Frogstomp
Private

Part of the fun of an FPS is the tension you feel at certain points. Standing in front of the vehicle spawn while the base is under heavy attack, wondering if you'll be shot up, and then spawning a Reaver and hoping you can get the thing away from the spawn pad before you get shot up. Frantically setting up a tower defense because you know it's next in line to be attacked. Kind of like horror or action movies, part of the enjoyment is in the suspense in between the action.

I vote yes.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I'm happy if they cheat at it a bit... just not like they did with the flail/scythe...

I hates those animations.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-25, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
I'd say do the transports first. Everybody uses transports, either as a driver or a passenger...

Also, I think the transports are probably the most impactful; they're the disembarkation animations you see in-combat the most.

I agree with you but I chose tanks first because seat swap is the most game breaking right now on the tanks. Driver can go from firing the main cannon to instantly switching to AA gunner to shoot down a Reaver. Saw it in E3 footage.
Old 2012-06-25, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Daffan
Corporal

Misc Info

Extra immersion is great

They were in Planetside 1 and it was fantastic

No hot-swapping crazy positions and vehicle combo's

Is interesting for climatic situations and, also helps jumping out - people stay to their demise!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion