PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the good kind of disorder.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-05, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
foxjedi
Private

Help a noob buy a kick ass computer for PS.

All,
I'm in the market for a shiny new computer, but I don't know much about the hardware, or software of computers. Here's what I want, and perhaps you, kind reader, can direct me towards the right one.
1.) A computer that can run PS with no problems.
2.) Something that can handle games that're coming out in the next year (Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War) with no problem.
3.) Standard stuff like a CD burner.

Now, home much RAM, what video card, etc, should I get? I looked at the alienware page and I had no clue what they wanted me to choose.

Thanks
Old 2004-04-05, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Well, first thing we need to know is your budget! How much do you want to spend? I could recommend the parts to build a supercomputer for you, or I could recommend stuff that would be the best value.

Also, do you want it pre-built or are you (or a friend) going to build it? Building it yourself is almost ALWAYS cheaper, but if you haven't done it before, you will need to learn how before you make an attempt (though, building a computer isnt as difficult as many people think.) If you don't want to build it, I can reccomend which companies to buy from, but again, it comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-04-05, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd say like 2 gigs of RAM, I think the fastest processor out there is like 3.4 Ghrz with 800 mhrz cache, and for a vid card get the 9800XT 256 RAM. Wait for Rbstr to get here though, he will help ya.

Old 2004-04-05, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I woud realy liek to know your budget, that is the chincher for everything, and if your not sure i would say about 1500 doloars would get your a very nice, near top end machine, if you built it youself if you buy a ocmp liek that from a store you'll get riped off bigtime

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-05, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vitter
Sergeant

Old 2004-04-06, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
jsloan31
Sergeant Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rbstr
I woud realy liek to know your budget, that is the chincher for everything, and if your not sure i would say about 1500 doloars would get your a very nice, near top end machine, if you built it youself if you buy a ocmp liek that from a store you'll get riped off bigtime
what he said.
Old 2004-04-06, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
foxjedi
Private

I'm willing to go up to $2500, and I want something pre-made. I was a history major, my engineering experience goes as far as swearing at mechanical equipment, then smacking it. If that doesn't work, I swear louder and hit harder.
Old 2004-04-06, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
jsloan31
Sergeant Major

Misc Info

http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51.aspx

check out the enthusist option.
Old 2004-04-06, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

The enthusiast option is good, though I would probably choose the 2GB Memory option, since you'll want that for PS and newer games. That'll bring you up to around $2,300...

Fox, is Alienware your main choice, or are willing to use different brands? For example, Dell would be cheaper on most accounts, but you're going to lose the customization that Alienware or Voodoo provide...
Old 2004-04-06, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I would also suggest you check out Falcon Northwest. They make excellent gaming computers as well. (And are a good alternative to Alienware if you don't like/want one of those.)

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-04-06, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

2gigs of memory is is a waste of money and acctualy can hurt performance at this point, wiht faster emory soon it may be worthwhile.

get a 9800 XT/pro graphic card, 1gig of DDR400 memory Cas 2, and A P4 3.0ghz-3.4 ghz, but dont get the 'E' or prescott kind

I hate prebuitl companies but a few very samll ones that are not deceptive or WAy WAy way overrated liek alienware, the only reason people say alienware is so great is becsaue dell doesn't realy sell computers that are that good, though everything is easy to make. that is my opinito but if you wan to go for it go ahead

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-06, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

also chek the thread with Wildeagals comp help it woudl probbalby beat this thing shitless, though that's just my opiniton
http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...SKU-ENTHUSIAST
and it also costs nearly a 1k less

Old 2004-04-06, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vitter
Sergeant

From someone who has owned an alienware I would SERIOUSLY recomend going with Falcon Northwest.

Alienware has some problems with their PC that make it crash with certain games like Neverwinter Nights. In addition, there Tech Support is REALLY shitty and is comprised entirely of arabs that don't know much english.
Old 2004-04-06, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

www.polywell.com

Get help from someone who knows comps, and just customize the shit out of a computer on there. You could get twice the computer from polywell then you could get with FNW or Alienware, for the same amount of money.
Old 2004-04-06, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

treu i've scoped out that site, they are one of the decent pc makers out there

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum