Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Fitting SLI + sound card + RevoDrive

Did you order two GTX 680s already?
Old 2012-04-18, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Really
Private

Ooooorrrr just use a really fast-writing SSD instead of a Revodrive. Saves costs and eliminates problems! Wonder if 500MB/s is enough for 120Hz 1080p... or 5760x1080!
Old 2012-04-18, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Really
Private

Nah can't afford that yet Gonna give it a while, they're all out of stock in the UK right now and I can't even run SLI on my current mobo. Upgrade path is looking like this:

Motherboard + CPU (Z77 and IB)
2nd 680
SSD
Maybe 2 more monitors for Surround :P

I love having no commitments and living in a student house!

Quick aside: do you reckon an i7 would be better for things like Dxtory/FRAPS? They have to record/encode on the fly and Dxtory at least is multithreaded...
Old 2012-04-18, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I thought you actually needed the revodrive for specific task. You will not notice any difference between a revodrive and a SSD like the Intel 520 playing games. You are not going to double your performance for example with a revodrive vs even a normal HDD. A Crucial M4, Samsung 830, or Intel 520 will be a great SSD for what you need, so scrap the revo. Too much $$$ anyway. From what people said even streaming won't be a issue when I was looking up HT and that program you want to use.

I didn't find anything going either way with HT and that program you want to use. Maybe try getting a hold of the company who made it and see what they say.
Old 2012-04-18, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Really
Private

Oh yeah it was for a specific task: recording using FRAPS etc in HD needs a ridiculous transfer rate since there's so much data at once, so the revodrive was to take care of that. Only I'm not sure whether I need 1500MB/s, or whether 500MB/s will suffice.

Got a Crucial m4 already and it's amazing, wouldn't bother upgrading just for gaming
Old 2012-04-18, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I saw one person saying even with 3 screens using that program @ 5760x1200 at most you will be 180 MB/s. I think a regular SSD is fine, but you will be eating up a lot of space won't you? May need a bigger one. Unless you are only streaming.
Old 2012-04-18, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Really
Private

Yeah, was hoping 256GB would be enough but I'm fairly sure I'll run out of room in, like, 3 minutes. Sigh. The idea of recording at 120fps for slow motion is getting less and less attainable
Old 2012-04-18, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Lol. Well keep this in mind. If you are uploading this somewhere most people do not have 120Hz screens, so that isn't going to be really any kind of benefit.

I think it takes longer then 3 minutes to fill up 256GB. @ 180 MB/s a minute with tripple monitors at 60 FPS will take 25 minutes or so. Oh my. Would a raid setup with like 2 TB drives be a better option?

This is a very expensive project. And you are going to college at the same time? Wow.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-04-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2012-04-18, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Really
Private

The 120Hz would be so I can slow it down 4x for slow-motion shots. Pretty specific need but it looks cool!

Hmm raid could work; actually, Dxtory has a feature where it can split the file between two hard drives/SSDs while recording, so they might not even need to be raid-ed. I've tried it with my current setup and it struggled, as did the M4 on its own, but I'm sure there's a way!

Yeah expensive :/ Needed an upgrade anyway though, determined to run PS2 on max settings I got quite lucky though, I got a fellowship to do an MSc in Statistics over 2 years while working and it pays quite well (for a first job at least) - figured I'd blow some on this!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum