Eve Online Update Thread - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you can read this you're too close.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion

Old 2006-05-08, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Rip on it, I'm betting I can counter most of what you say.

Old 2006-05-08, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I don't agree with Sobe on much, but I do agree on this.

EVE is a game that *gasp* actually requires you to have patience and think. If you can't do either, you're going to think it sucks, because you haven't actually tested what the game is capable of.

People try playing it, mine some roids and shoot some NPCs and then decide it sucks. That's like going to an amusement park, riding on the merry-go-round and deciding the park sucks. Of course, if you don't have the patience to stand in line and try some of the good rides, you're going to think the place sucks. Maybe for you it does or it doesn't but how can you make a judgement when you haven't tried the best the park has to offer? If you haven't tried all the rides, don't go rating the park.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2006-05-08, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

So, if I waste my time "waiting in line" what do I get out of it? whats the reward?
Old 2006-05-08, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

I quit because I found it boring, I'm sure it gets great down the road but I really dont feel like sitting around for 3 months just to try the game when it gets good.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-05-08, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Ok so the big thing that people cant tell me: Is this a 3rd person space shooter, first person space shooter, text adventure with not fighting just numbers or something else?
Old 2006-05-08, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

It's a second person Space Tactical and Strategic Simulation.

I say second person because it doesn't give you the RTS feeling of mass control, but it gives you more of a tactical feeling of control than a strict first person would give.

As for it taking 3 monthes to do anything fun...that's only if you don't know you can PvP in easily less than a week.

Old 2006-05-08, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

Sure you can, but you move to damn slow and your weapons suck.

Old 2006-05-08, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well...frigs are relatively fast even at a young Eve age. A wolfpack of 1 week old players (ones with a clue tho lol) could take out a vet in a BS (even if he is very good).

Assault Frigates also aren't hard to train up to, and not very expensive either, one of the most budget friendly tech 2 ship classes.

You could be ok in a month and master a frigate in less than about 6 monthes depending on attributes (I'm including all the support skills too).

General use is fast to get, specialization takes longer, and mastering can sometimes take a year or more. It's just a matter of how good you want to be with that certain thing. But even then mastering a ship wont guaranteed you a win.

Old 2006-05-08, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I totally just derailed this thread with out even directly insulting the game.
Old 2006-05-08, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I didn't notice.

Old 2006-05-08, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

It's only boring if you let it be boring.

However I realize there are alot of people that don't like the delayed gratification and planing EVE requires. If it's not for you it's not for you.

Also Sobe: Assult frigs are the last thing a noobie should be in, they are expensive and not particularly usefull at this time. I don't know what your smoking or what kind of windfall you've got, but 20mill unisurable(+ fittings!) for a ship that will get dominated by any cruiser pilot with a brain(and those are fully insurable and cheap to the point that you can make money off a death), and they barely do more damage than an interceptor of half the cost.

Also frigate mastery takes longer, especialy if you want to be able to lose more than one every couple months with the piss poor isk you'll be making with only frigate skills.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2006-05-08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2006-05-08, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
neon
Private

Lets just say that after a while when you start to realize the magnitude of things in eve it becomes very very hard to quit. Electro gave a pretty accurate example.

To play and enjoy this game you need to see what it offers and set goals for yourself. If you play this game without a goal its sort of pointless because fun is not handed to you the second you enter the game. You have to aspire to be something otherwise its not going to happen. Now what I said may not be very appealing, but I assure you that if you get far enough to experience PVP(getting blown up as a 3 day old noob doesnt count) then you are really going to enjoy it.

Another suggestion is to join a corp(guild,outfit, etc). People will help you out and you will be able to accomplish more working with other people. There is one corp called GoonFleet, which is composed of a larger number of SA goons who recently started eve, and fly in huge swarms of cheap frigates blowing stuff up. You'd probably have fun there. But you have to be part of SA to join i think.

Last edited by neon; 2006-05-08 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2006-05-08, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Thanks neon, atleast you answered my question. I may try it out.
Old 2006-05-08, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by .neon
But you have to be part of SA to join i think.
And that begs the question. Is it really worth it?

Goonfleet actually reminds me of what would happen if the 666th Devil Dogs was taken out of planetside, smashed over the head with a mallet a few times, and given space ships.
Old 2006-05-08, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EVE Online Discussion