Let's play Planetside 2 on low-end systems ! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: eMaGyN is watching you...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-24, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Re: Let's play Planetside 2 on low-end systems !

For some reason I have to test something on my old machine, which is:

Single Core 3.20
1.5GB DDR2
HD3450

I can run Skyrim at medium details with that, it's kinda tweaked, I rarely play there, but it's a test machine where I play stuff at 0 details.

Think it will run before I test it on the field?

Iek.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Noxey
Private

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
For some reason I have to test something on my old machine, which is:

Single Core 3.20
1.5GB DDR2
HD3450

I can run Skyrim at medium details with that, it's kinda tweaked, I rarely play there, but it's a test machine where I play stuff at 0 details.

Think it will run before I test it on the field?

Iek.
I think it will run but it wont be enjoyable
Old 2012-07-24, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Probably, even with my gaming comp I play everything at 0 details, except the settings needed to don't lose any advantage you may have. So as soon as you got no FPS lag, and you can keep a reasonable line of sight it's a good.
Today, I keep playing 10yrs old shooter games at no details.

Gamer mind, not fancy graphics.
Old 2012-07-24, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
moosepoop
Captain

i think it would be awesome if the devs would allow us to scale down the graphics all the way to planetside 1 level. then everybody can play.
Old 2012-07-24, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
FatherJack
Private

I have a c2duo @2.8Ghz, 4GB of ram (really only 3.2 because I am using XP) and a 260 gtx.

Luckily just for this game I ordered a i5 2500k (which I will overclock to 4.5ghz), 8GB of ram and windows 7. I wanted to get a 560 GTX as well but when you have a wife and kids its hard to justify spending that much money at once. I will sneak it in a couple of months time though
Old 2012-07-24, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sephirex
Major

I'm doing a C2Quad, 8 gb, and 460 gtx. It's the CPU that makes me nervous, as my card could probably handle the game on my 1280x1024 monitor.
Old 2012-07-24, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Reefpirate
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xale View Post
Why the hell would you do that, since player/vehicle shadows allow you to see them approach from behind/above and behind objects. In many cases, they can be your first warning.
Personally I'd rather turn shadows off and miss the rare opportunity to notice an air vehicle approaching (should be looking at the sky anyways if you're spotting for air vehicles) and get an extra 15-20 fps. Particularly if I end up struggling around the 30 FPS mark, if I can bump that FPS up by turning shadows off it's a no-brainer for me.

Frames Per Second trumps all for me when it comes to multiplayer shooters, or multiplayer anything for that matter (I play SC2 on absolute minimum settings as well).
Old 2012-07-24, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

3/4 of the above stated computer specs are far from "Low End" definition in my opinion.
Old 2012-07-24, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

I've got two words for you:
Sony Vaio.

Old 2012-07-24, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mepper
Private

Trust me, my systems are low end.

And although some people would never turn of (for example) shadows, at least give us players with low end specs the freedom to turn them off.

If you don't want to turn everything down well then don't, but let me turn down whatever I want.

This is just like fov. Just give me the option to take whatever fov pleases me, I should be allowed to take everything between 1 and 180. And I do know playing with a ridiculous fov won't work, but just give me the option, it won't hurt anyone.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Chrispin View Post
I have two 3.0 ghz Xeon processors, 3 gigs of RAM, and a single Radeon HD 6850. I don't expect to run this game very well, but I'm going to wait and see how it plays before spending the money on expensive upgrades.
Xeons. That's awesome. What motherboard are you using? Did it come with PCI-E or AGP? There weren't a lot of those out there!

Personally, I'm sticking with my Asus P5k-VM motherboard / Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz / nvidia GTS450 1 GB GDDR5 video card, 6GB DDR2 667MHz RAM computer, because I'm in no way unhappy with it.

I bought this motherboard five years ago as part of my upgrade plan and it's worked out really well. What I have now is like a super computer compared to what I had back in the early 2000s. For instance, I went from transcoding a DVD into an xvid file taking 90 minutes (with a P4 3.0GHz cpu) to taking less than 20 minutes! Unfortunately, socket 775 core2 processors never came down in price like the Core i3/i5 and DDR2 RAM is outrageously expensive compared to DDR3, so it would cost more to upgrade parts on this motherboard than it would to buy a new motherboard/core i3 2120/4g ram - and the i3 would beat any core2 quad in gaming anyhow...

TL;DR: Meh. I'll turn the settings down and only consider upgrading if 4x AA is too taxing on the system to playable. The "jaggies" bother me!
Old 2012-07-24, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

I think they will, don't worry about it. Just saying at same skill level and same equipment, in a plain and easy engagement the player with more FPS wins.
Which means, FPS > Stunning Graphics, as soon as you play with no FPS drop you are good to become the best player around.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by snaffe View Post
I did the Eramus thing myself, and you'll be out drinking and shagging and not doing so much gaming anyway (and gaming should not be on your mind when you're on an Erasmus exchange...and this is coming from a hardcore geek gamer, sorta).
This.

Take it from a married guy with a mortgage and 2 kids: There's plenty of time in life to play games. Get drinking and shagging. Safety first though soldier!
Welcome to the UK!

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2012-07-24 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

core i5 2500K without distinct graphic card here... it will be an interesting experience.

Technically the IGP3000 is a Dx10.1 capable chip, but it's clear that it lacks power to use it above the lowest settings.

On the other hand, the Forgelight engine is said to be damn well scaleble - we will see how well it actually is. SOE building PS2 and EQ2 around it, so it may mean that it is scaleble _upwards_ from this level, so it will still be able to provide decent visual experience in 3-5 years too. PS2 is said to run on 5 years old rigs too - but that doesn't mean it will be enjoyable.

Still, bad sex is better than no sex, and there is no such things like bad sex - when it's bad, it is actually still quite good!
Old 2012-07-24, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I'm currently running:

-Athlon 3.3 triple core
-4 gigs RAM
-Radeon 4670 video card w/1 gig memory
-90 gig Corsair SSD boot drive with a 500 gig Seagate for data

Is there even a hint of a ghost of a whisper of recommended specs for this game yet...? What is liable to be the biggest bottleneck? Is a game that has to display hundreds of moving objects at once going to be a memory hog more than a video hog? or is it liable to be the other way around?

What's your best educated guess?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion