PlanetSide Universe
PSU: whats all this about spoons?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2011-07-26, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Star Wars the Old Republic. What do you think?

I have no doubt it's going to be very similar to a lot of MMOs out there, with almost nothing new gameplay wise. But I won't be playing it for gameplay. I want to play it because it's star wars, and it's the sequel to KOTOR, which is the game that truly got me hooked on Star Wars.

Seriously, is there any other MMO that gives you Voice acting, and consequential choices? They even have a great "Random Party member speaks for the group" option if your playing with your friends(and a "My choices are my own" option for the loners).

What were you guys expecting exactly? Because I was expecting a multiplayer Bioware RPG and that's what I've been seeing so far.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-07-28, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Logit
Second Lieutenant

The only reason I'm buying this game is simply because all of the people I played SWG with are firing up the old guild for another Star Wars title.

I'm not even worried about the game being good or bad. It will be fun for me regardless.
Old 2011-07-28, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Krowe
Sergeant

Passed this up for GW2.

This honestly struck me as a WoW clone with animation and model differences.
Old 2011-08-29, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
plays like the same exact thing as WoW/Rift. Thats the impressions I got from it. Am I missing something else?
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
IJust another wow clone
Originally Posted by TrueDeviL View Post
I realised it's not a TRUE MMO... it's 8 vs 8...
Originally Posted by Krowe View Post
struck me as a WoW clone
http://www.askajedi.com/2011/08/28/p...pvp-announced/

Someone tell me, again, about PvP in WoW? Oh wait. I already asked. Still waiting...

I mean, it's fine to hate on a game. Don't get me wrong. I hate on games all the time. I hate on WoW because it's a shit game that I do not enjoy. I hate on games and sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. Everyone has their own preferences. I think CoD, MW, BF franchises are shit. I have my reasons. I do not enjoy e-sports at all. In spite of having worked on now four MMO-RPG titles, I am not at all a fan of RPGs. You can hate the game for being Star Wars, for taking away SWG, hate it for whatever you think of the art or gameplay. But I think calling it a WoW clone is ignorant - and not just because I worked on this game. If the game sucked, I'd be the first to chime in. I thought WAR sucked. And I worked on that game as well. I wish we'd had a better opportunity to make that game really shine. For various reasons, it fell flat on its face and I'm embarrassed to admit that I worked on it.

If this game was a WoW clone it would have no PvP. Last time I checked in WoW, there's hardly any PvP at all, and certainly NOTHING on the scale of hundreds versus hundreds, which is what SWTOR plans.
Old 2011-08-29, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
But I think calling it a WoW clone is ignorant.
Probably, in fact the definition of the word says we are in fact ignorant.. This is because 99.5% of the people commenting have never touched the game. You don't have much to base opinions on other than screenshots and videos which to me - on the outside appear to be very much wow clone. You are basing your opinions off the fact you probably played the game.. very much a different animal.
If this game was a WoW clone it would have no PvP.
This comment makes no sense to me at all, WoW has plenty of PVP. Arenas, battlegrounds, world pvp etc.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-29, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Probably, in fact the definition of the word says we are in fact ignorant..This is because 99.5% of the people commenting have never touched the game. You don't have much to base opinions on other than screenshots and videos which to me - on the outside appear to be very much wow clone. You are basing your opinions off the fact you probably played the game.. very much a different animal
You started so well Hamma, and then failed to mention how WoW is itself based on other games
Old 2011-08-29, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I apparently misspoke or was not completely clear. Sorry. Lemme rephrase: based on the available public information that we have, calling it a WoW clone seems ignorant to me. I'm not talking about based strictly on playing the game. All games are now compared to WoW, that's an unavoidable fact of life. I bet someone's going to try and compare PS2 to WoW. You can make a comparison based on information which has been released to the public. I am basing my opinion based on the available public information, not the fact that I helped develop and alpha-test the game (though that may possibly subconsciously influence my statement... I tried not to let it).

If by WoW-clone you mean button-mashing to attack, then yes. All RPGs fit into that category.

This comment makes no sense to me at all, WoW has plenty of PVP. Arenas, battlegrounds, world pvp etc.
Like I said - my experience is limited, so I'm sticking strictly with what I observed. I have not played WoW in forever, and my experience with it is limited and dated. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I will essentially detail my knowledge below. Before anyone gets all righteously indignant, hear me out. Help me understand this in case I'm way off.

I am aware that the potential for PvP exists - compared to, say, WAR? WoW's PvP was and is a joke. That's my point - not that it doesn't exist. This is why I said "hardly" and "certainly NOTHING on the scale of hundreds versus hundreds". I am aware of Arenas, which as I understand it are 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. Is that correct? If so, and again this is a presumption, comparing 5v5 to either instanced combat for 32v32 or open-world PvP or even RvR lakes where capacity is determined by server stress loads (meaning hundreds vs hundreds) seems to fit your category of "makes no sense to me at all". I am aware of Battlegrounds, which are instances - is that correct? Those instances contain a finite amount of players: 20v20 being one particular number (Alterac Valley). Tol Barad being another but I can't remember how many people were in that one. WSG: 10v10, AB: 15v15, IoC: 40v40. I think you can see where I'm going so I'm going to leave it at that. As for the rest... I haven't seen world pvp since vanilla WoW. There are the occasional raids on cities for achievements or killing everything at the Crossroads. Joy...

Originally Posted by Lartnev View Post
You started so well Hamma, and then failed to mention how WoW is itself based on other games
You mean how World of Warcraft was a failed pitch to Games Workshop based on their Warhammer Fantasy IP, and thus is technically a clone of tabletop Warhammer: Fantasy?

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-08-29 at 01:42 PM.
Old 2011-08-29, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

WoW has PvP I'm not sure how better to explain it. Your thoughts are fairly close, arena's are team based, world pvp is just.. well world pvp (and blows in any mmorpg imo) and yes battlegrounds are instanced.

I fail to understand what will make Star Wars any better at PvP though. You are still essentially at it's base rock paper scissors how could it really be any different than wow, lotro etc. It's not like PlanetSide where you have to aim and fire. You just lock onto a target in an MMORPG and hit 1-0 until you or they die.

Originally Posted by Lartnev View Post
Doesn't matter really, other games are an afterthought now wow is the mammoth.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-29, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Graywolves
General

I know nothing of how SWTOR PvP will be and I'm not sure if I'll partake in any of it. I used to love PvP in WoW until I got bored of all the balance changes for PvE that ruined PvP and doing the same battlegrounds for however many years and Tol Barad is probably the biggest fail any MMORPG will ever have in PvP history.

But I'm drifting away from what I was gonna say. WoW and SWTOR are both hotkey MMO's (from what I know) but the similarities end there. Everything is completley different from there and SWTOR even has more built into it than simply target and click.

I'm gonna pick up SWTOR and play with my friends and have fun.

WoW had it's run, it's time to go into the hall of MMO's with EQ
Old 2011-08-29, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
firecrackerNC
Colonel

Never got into WoW, never cared to get past level 10, but Im hoping the story is what keeps me in ToR. already got it preordered and been waiting for it for awhile now, though I have to say with every lame ass fan friday release I get less and less excited, and the no release date gets more and more annoying... -_-
Old 2011-08-29, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Crator
Major General

Firefly, how would you compare SWTOR open world PvP to DAoC open world PvP? Much improvement?
Old 2011-08-29, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Firefly, how would you compare SWTOR open world PvP to DAoC open world PvP? Much improvement?
Well. See, the thing that we did with DAoC was, three-way. That's what made it unique (my opinion). Bear in mind, Mythic is doing the PvP for SWTOR. Why? Because they know RvR. I can't honestly say that one will be better than the other any more than I can say that Battlefield series is better than MW or COD. DAoC has its special trait, SWTOR will have its own special trait. They'll stand, or fail, on their own merits. I can tell you that I flat-out LOVE the PvP/RvR in SWTOR. I generally hate RPGs.
Old 2011-08-30, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
ikon
Master Sergeant

i have been in closed beta for a while, but got bored and stop playing recently.

mostly cause i was enjoying planetside for the umpteenth time.

its a fun game, definitly similar to wow but in its own way fun.
i been playing mostly on the sith side.
Old 2011-08-30, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Well. See, the thing that we did with DAoC was, three-way. That's what made it unique (my opinion). Bear in mind, Mythic is doing the PvP for SWTOR. Why? Because they know RvR. I can't honestly say that one will be better than the other any more than I can say that Battlefield series is better than MW or COD. DAoC has its special trait, SWTOR will have its own special trait. They'll stand, or fail, on their own merits. I can tell you that I flat-out LOVE the PvP/RvR in SWTOR. I generally hate RPGs.
Great to hear! I was already planning on playing this game but this info. here gets me psyched.
Old 2011-08-31, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They canceled the space aspect entirely... so there goes the whole Star Wars part if TOR.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion