Since Snipers are Cloaks then OSOK Headshots is a must sniper cert - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boomshackalacka!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should OSOK Headshots be in the game?
Yes as cert...they are cloaks so a regular sniper will kill a OSOK headshot sniper 18 14.88%
Yes.....Any Sniper should headshot tho. 37 30.58%
No 66 54.55%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-05, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Aurmanite
Captain

Re: Since Snipers are Cloaks then OSOK Headshots is a must sniper cert

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
LMFAO dude Planetside 1 counter sniping was completely broken.

Yeah you could shoot another sniper but what will that do?

Most snipers had a medic/armor cert so when they got shot they were like brb gonna heal myself...which they did..then they just carrying on sniping until they were shot against and had to heal yet again...(Only way to kill snipers was if their was no space to hide for a sniper which wasn't common and if u had a buddy who sniped him at the same time which basically never happened).

Sorry but that isn't counter sniping....This why Planetside 2 counter sniping will be much better if cloaks still die with one shot...Now snipers will have to be more careful or else they die with one shot.
This post is almost proof that the original post was trollin.

Why?

This post we can read.
Old 2012-04-05, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
This post is almost proof that the original post was trollin.

Why?

This post we can read.
I still did mistakes tho.

The first post wasn't trolling at all, Im trying to help SOE unlike you who is stuck on the mentality of finding out who is a troll since perhaps you get trolled all the times or something.
Old 2012-04-05, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Cloak capable snipers who can one shot one kill is bad m'kay...

OSOK'ing someone who is banged up is one thing, but cloaking to get into a sniper roost and the coming uncloaked to take a shot and then osok someone who is full shields and full health is just plain bad. At least force them to crack you twice from full to kill you. I don't mind if snipers can spec out to use the cloak suits as long as they can't shoot cloaked.

Last edited by Tasorin; 2012-04-05 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2012-04-05, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Sirisian
Colonel

LMFAO dude Planetside 1 counter sniping was completely broken.
I get the feeling you never played the game much. It's hard to respond to you since your experiences seem to differ greatly from people that have played and experienced pop locks. It's like you played a 1 on 1 game or something. When I remember sniping it was on cliffs or bridges with tons of people and targets. Each round you'd just keep putting bullets into anything that stood still for a second. This video sums up normal sniping.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Raka Maru
Major

I've played my sniper almost as much as my cloaker and don't like the idea of getting a cert to shoot less accurately... It doesn't make any sense.

Head shots should be OSOK, it should require skill, not a cert. it should kill because it causes 2x or 3x damage. NOT because of a cert.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I get the feeling you never played the game much. It's hard to respond to you since your experiences seem to differ greatly from people that have played and experienced pop locks. It's like you played a 1 on 1 game or something. When I remember sniping it was on cliffs or bridges with tons of people and targets. Each round you'd just keep putting bullets into anything that stood still for a second. This video sums up normal sniping.
Huh?...What does that video have to do with anything?

Everything I said about Planetside 1 counter sniping is true....People did heal themselves after every shot they took....

Seems to me u never played Planetside.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Traak
Colonel

OSK's are bad for the game. No matter who has them, other than tanks or other heavy weapons.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Sirisian
Colonel

Huh?...What does that video have to do with anything?
It shows how I usually experienced sniping. What you describe about healing after every shot was a lot rarer than I think you're willing to admit. You had people that did it but while they were healing you were hitting other people making it an excellent suppression weapon.

I enjoyed sniping a lot how it was implemented in PS1 and the thought of turning it into something where I could just one-hit someone seems like it would really dumb down the weapon especially against regular soldiers. That and if I'm sniping I don't like the idea of dying one hit to another sniper even if I'm standing still lining up a shot on another player. Let me at least react to getting hit. I'm a big fan of giving players choices. If you want to one-hit another cloaker just join up with another sniper over vivox. I really don't see the problem.

You still haven't explained how your system would work with the empire specific sniper rifles. NC has a slower firing harder hitting rifle and TR have a weaker but faster firing rifle. Your system sounds like it wouldn't work with them.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Jimmuc
Corporal

i myself never liked sniping in PS but that is due to my preference for realistic ballistics

make the hitbox smaller than the actually size of an player's head. imagine something the size of an apple (granny smith) in the middle of your head and that's the hitbox. makes it less an appealing target to try for at most ranges i think.

think i said this before in another thread..deja vu
Old 2012-04-06, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

You still haven't explained how your system would work with the empire specific sniper rifles. NC has a slower firing harder hitting rifle and TR have a weaker but faster firing rifle. Your system sounds like it wouldn't work with them.
AFAIK sniper rifles will be "tweakable", so you can twist it into a single-shot rifle akeen to the original boltdriver or semi-auto sniper rifle, like the HSR...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-06, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
balancing requires both sides to be ...balanced.
What you described is a way of making headshots useless.
Thats the idea.

And damn i like it! OSOK headshots should not happen often.
Old 2012-04-06, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Thats the idea.

He described a way of making a sniper useless if they want the chance to do head shots, that effectivly makes headshots worthless, so you might as well not include them. It's going to be hard as hell to land one anyway with bullet drop anyway.
Old 2012-04-06, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm sorry, but if a player is hurt it's not OSOK. Just because someone has 1 health and you shoot them with a pistol doesn't mean a pistol is a OSOK weapon. Your definitions are totally broken. If a person has full shields and health dies because of one shot then it is OSOK aka "one shot, one kill".
I'm kind of disappointed that you had to respond so aggressively when your posts are usually a mine of details and ideas. Especially when we agree about a mechanic.

I perfectly understand that OSOK is usually meant as one-shotting a full-health soldier. However, I am not a fan of that mechanic and liked the balance of sniping in PS1 where the gun was strong enough to finish off any lightly damaged player in one shot but not strong enough to one shot a full health/full armor MAX/REXO/Agile/Standard soldier.

I was simply trying to express the opinion that with a gun strong enough and choosing the right targets, a sniping mechanic not based on OSOK could also be satisfactory and work like a "one-shot kill". Re-reading my post, though, I agree it was pretty badly communicated.

I'm not usually too interested in sniper discussions (at least, not in the user side since I'm mostly on the receiving end) but the interesting yet simple idea I had not thought about is that damage can be balanced by class since armor types are not shared anymore. If snipers really want OSOK that much, let it affect them first and foremost.

There's plenty of range in PS to give them time to take a second shot when they decide to target a full-health trooper. Noting that no one except medics can heal themselves effectively anymore either.
Old 2012-04-06, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
He described a way of making a sniper useless if they want the chance to do head shots, that effectivly makes headshots worthless, so you might as well not include them. It's going to be hard as hell to land one anyway with bullet drop anyway.
Useless?...You mean the cert will require skill, perhaps something you won't have?.....

The point of the Cert is to sacrifice something to be able to OSOK headshot Medics/engineers/light assult....So yes you will have to give up accuracy,recoil,etc in order to have that higher damage output....Now how much should the person sacrifice, well that is up to SOE to make it balance.I think making it kind of hard but functional will be great since I think the most skillful snipers should benefit from these certs and is also great since planetside players don't want everybody to do OSOK headshots.

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
I've played my sniper almost as much as my cloaker and don't like the idea of getting a cert to shoot less accurately... It doesn't make any sense.

Head shots should be OSOK, it should require skill, not a cert. it should kill because it causes 2x or 3x damage. NOT because of a cert.
Well everyone in Planetside hates the idea of OSOK....So thats why I think the cert is a good solution.

Well it will still require skill to pull of a headshot, I mean the gun will probably have more sway and require more time to make it accurate(like in planetside 1)....So yeah it will require more skill in fact.

It shows how I usually experienced sniping. What you describe about healing after every shot was a lot rarer than I think you're willing to admit. You had people that did it but while they were healing you were hitting other people making it an excellent suppression weapon.

I enjoyed sniping a lot how it was implemented in PS1 and the thought of turning it into something where I could just one-hit someone seems like it would really dumb down the weapon especially against regular soldiers. That and if I'm sniping I don't like the idea of dying one hit to another sniper even if I'm standing still lining up a shot on another player. Let me at least react to getting hit. I'm a big fan of giving players choices. If you want to one-hit another cloaker just join up with another sniper over vivox. I really don't see the problem.

First of all...Sniping in PS1 was fun, yes you could snipe other running people like in that video..but as soon as you saw a sniper you would know that you wouldn't kill him(most likely)....As soon as I shot him, I knew he was gonna heal...to me that kind of ruined sniping battles, knowing that dead wasn't really a problem.

As for dying with one shot...Well I think is great that cloaks will most like get killed by one sniper shot....It will make sniping much more dangerous and require much more skill since you can't just be an idiot and pick a predictable place to snipe....As for regular troops get OSOK headshooted by snipers with a cert..well first of all it require a lot of skill to pull of such a headshot since the OSOK headshot cert will make the gun sway more,etc....so if a player is good enough to pull headshots with a harder to use gun and with snipers being able to OSOK them since they are cloaks....Then I don't see the problem of a sniper sniping a medic who is healing everybody...Seems to me that they will be vary valuable in the game.

As for the empire specific guns...Well the way I see it SOE could make NC weapons have a little bit more power(it will come to use since if they miss a headshot, they can still cause lots of damage)....TR faster rate of fire/faster reloading(will make sense since missing a shot with such a weapon is very possible)....VS slightly better accurate?

Well thats the way I see it, obviously their will be difference in the guns but SOE could figure that out to make it balance.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Thats the idea.

Not for everybody...Of course.

Only the best snipers who worked their way to unlock the certs could have the skill to do headshots against non-cloaks like medics etc.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion