ESF Air to Air Feedback for Devs - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: was rejected!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-05-17, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
snafus
Sergeant Major

Re: ESF Air to Air Feedback for Devs

Truth be told no amount of changes to A2A gameplay will bring back the air battles as they once were. That is all impossible unless they nerf AA. IT is simply to strong and allowing bursters to invisibly fire across multiple hexs and score hits on aircraft makes me sick. Air will die regardless of new weapons or tricked out fuel tanks. One thing has to be nerfed and air can come back and that is AA. You take away the bursters ability to engage beyond infantry render distance and you will have a aviation community again. Leave the sky guard as is or even buff it slightly but you MUST nerf the burster or air will never come back.

Old 2013-05-17, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Actually the opposite...
What do you think will happen when there is an area in the game that only one type of Vehicle can reach and it grants access anywhere?
I know where you are heading with this and if one faction doesn't keep A2A ESF up then they will pay with an enemy that can move freely. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion each faction better keep a good airforce up or you will pay.

Old 2013-05-17, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by snafus View Post
I know where you are heading with this and if one faction doesn't keep A2A ESF up then they will pay with an enemy that can move freely. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion each faction better keep a good airforce up or you will pay.
And what happens when you can't?

Seriously, people whine about population imbalance now, wait until you need a large high skill population pool for a single unit to keep all the rest of your shit from being wrecked!
Old 2013-05-17, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
And what happens when you can't?

Seriously, people whine about population imbalance now, wait until you need a large high skill population pool for a single unit to keep all the rest of your shit from being wrecked!
You realize they cannot engage you from our supposed new flight ceiling. Yes they can go anywhere on the map but they must drop altitude to engage ground targets leaving them vulnerable to all your OP AA tools. This would give air the freedom they need to possibly be effective but would not leave you over exposed since rendering has and always will be in favor of ground forces. And currently as long as you can pop lock a continent then if a faction rolls primarily air they will be losing the ground battle with those resources going airborne.

Old 2013-05-17, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by snafus View Post
You realize they cannot engage you from our supposed new flight ceiling. Yes they can go anywhere on the map but they must drop altitude to engage ground targets leaving them vulnerable to all your OP AA tools. This would give air the freedom they need to possibly be effective but would not leave you over exposed since rendering has and always will be in favor of ground forces.
Ah, but here is where your solo focus on ESFs rears its ugly head!
ESFs might not be able to use this envelop to it's full advantage, since they've already got the maneuverability to use Terrain for the same purpose, but what of GALAXIES?

What happens when Gal Taxi's can just stream Zerg Troops all over the map?

Do you remember how bad AMS Galaxies were in Beta?
Old 2013-05-17, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Then they have to be shot down. And the faction that doesn't do so is at a logistical disadvantage. Imagine that - winning the air war grants you a movement advantage! Shocking!

My god, people don't want negative consequences to anything around here.
Old 2013-05-17, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Then they have to be shot down. And the faction that doesn't do so is at a logistical disadvantage. Imagine that - winning the air war grants you a movement advantage!
But that's the problem, you ONLY have to win the Air War!
Everything else becomes secondary to ESFs taking down Galaxies, sort of how it was in Beta when Gals could spawn...

Why pull tanks?
They won't do shit when everyone rains in from the Sky...

You create a game where you either Turtle up in a Base or fly, I think we had enough of that at launch myself.

Last edited by Whiteagle; 2013-05-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 2013-05-17, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Pop quiz. Imagine a world where a fully crewed Galaxy can make it to its drop point with 100% assurance.

Is this world:

a) Fantasy.
b) The current reality.
Old 2013-05-17, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Whiteagle
Major

Well B if you can actually fill the Galaxy...
Old 2013-05-17, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
Sunrock
Major

Pop quiz. Imagine a world where a fully crewed Galaxy can make it to its drop point with 100% assurance.
Well our outfit is doing that every day....
Old 2013-05-17, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm glad you agree. And therefore, I posit that every Galaxy that wants to get through to a target and get the drop off already is, and therefore, raising the flight ceiling won't get any more of them through. You can't improve 100%.
Old 2013-05-17, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
Whiteagle
Major

I'm glad you agree. And therefore, I posit that every Galaxy that wants to get through to a target and get the drop off already is, and therefore, raising the flight ceiling won't get any more of them through. You can't improve 100%.
Ah, but can they go to and fro from the Warpgate with impunity?

It's one thing for a Gal to get to the point, another entirely for it to make it back.
Old 2013-05-17, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

So what if they can or can't? The payload's been delivered, and that's what you fear. The payload.
Old 2013-05-17, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Whiteagle
Major

So what if they can or can't? The payload's been delivered, and that's what you fear. The payload.
No, I fear the NEXT payload, the one after that, and the one after THAT...

You starting to see where the issue comes in?
Old 2013-05-17, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Unless your outfit magically mints 11 more members to drop every time you come back to the gate to stage a drop, I call that line of argument utter hogwash.

Completely unnecessary to point out, but for the sake of putting the final nail in the coffin, I also note that there's usually more than one capable Gal pilot on the team.

Again - in plain English - every Galaxy drop that wants to get through today is getting through.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion