Outfits and you in PS2. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of Cunning linguists and Mass Debaters.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-05, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Re: Outfits and you in PS2.

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Yes. For Example, Azure Twilight, Blue Lions, The 666th and Enclave are all (imo) examples of zergfits.
Ugh oh... Now you've done it!!

It's an interesting list but fairly subjective in my eyes. Now that's perfectly understandable since we can only interpret games through our own experiences but I'm not sure this has much use as an objective document with which you could categorize Outfits. For instance I'm sure some would consider our clan an Ego-fit (by your definition), yet if you played with us you'd know that wasn't the case. Others have described us as "killwhores" but contrary to the definition above we've always created our own fights and been against "whoring" someone else's 'farm'. Like you I'm not a massive fan of the word 'Elite' either so I wouldn't choose that designation.

Really I think most Outfits try to do the same thing - with whatever resources they have, by whatever means they most enjoy - they try to affect the game in a positive manner. Some are simply have more of an impact than others.
Old 2012-08-05, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sunrock
Major

Well I have played online game now for... let me think... sens 1995-1996 so that will be 16-17 years now. All from different MUD, FPS and MMOs and I been in my fair share of different guilds, clans or what ever they are called in the game I was playing.

And none and all guilds can fit into what the description that the OP is giving. It is quite big generalization that can fit into any game on any server. If we are going to be honest most guilds are a mix of different things. You can have elitist friends and family guild. You can have a ego zerg guild and so on.

And your view of what type of guild also depends if you're in the guild, an ally or a rival. You might think outfit X is an elitis jerk guild because they are your rivals but those that are in outfit X think its a friends and family guild with good players.
Old 2012-08-05, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Well I have played online game now for... let me think... sens 1995-1996 so that will be 16-17 years now. All from different MUD, FPS and MMOs and I been in my fair share of different guilds, clans or what ever they are called in the game I was playing.

And none and all guilds can fit into what the description that the OP is giving. It is quite big generalization that can fit into any game on any server. If we are going to be honest most guilds are a mix of different things. You can have elitist friends and family guild. You can have a ego zerg guild and so on.

And your view of what type of guild also depends if you're in the guild, an ally or a rival. You might think outfit X is an elitis jerk guild because they are your rivals but those that are in outfit X think its a friends and family guild with good players.
Outfits tend to differ from 'Guilds' due to the nature of PlanetSide. As the game is an MMOFPS you tend find groups have a particularly 'identity' which often defines the entire group. There are not many 'family/relaxed' Outfits which also have an 'elite' element.

In fact if you find yourself in a relaxed or social Outfit but realise you're more of an elite/hardcore player this tends to be the time when you start looking for a new Outfit. Having run both a large relaxed Outfit and a small competitive one I've seen players go both ways.

Last edited by Dart; 2012-08-05 at 08:17 AM.
Old 2012-08-05, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

In outfits it is sort of hard to enforce a theme regulation. I think the one outfit that has done something like that is Azure Twilight which requires a MAX cert.

The first outfit joined required Magrider which wasn't verry well enforced and end up going defunct.
Then I joined another outfit because I saw them with a tripple gal drop. Well as time went on and pop started to die down (especially with the merger) I ended up going into an Allied outfit (if you could call it that because there is no official alliance in planetside.) as an outfit merger.

Well that outfit has had really low turnout and we end up joinging another outfit squad. So I am seing what are their PS2 plans if any before I choose to join another outfit. I really don't have enough time to commit to running my own outfit.
Old 2012-08-05, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Outfits tend to differ from 'Guilds' due to the nature of PlanetSide. As the game is an MMOFPS you tend find groups have a particularly 'identity' which often defines the entire group. There are not many 'family/relaxed' Outfits which also have an 'elite' element.

In fact if you find yourself in a relaxed or social Outfit but realise you're more of an elite/hardcore player this tends to be the time when you start looking for a new Outfit. Having run both a large relaxed Outfit and a small competitive one I've seen players go both ways.
Yes I understand that most outfits act more like clans in FPS games then a guild in WoW for an example. But they are all made out of human players and we might think we all are unique snowflakes but we are not.

I think its best to brake down different players in three categories and the same wtih guilds.

Hardcore - This is the type of players that never miss an event, hang up to phone in his/her parter when in an event or take a rain check when some one wants to something outside of the game. They do what ever it takes to win or achieve that goal within the rules of the game.

Core - This is the players that are passionated about the game and play as mush as they can but would never forsake work, friends or family over the game.

Casual - This is the type of player that just play to kill some time while waiting for something better to do.

And what type of guild/clan/outfit it is depends on how many players they have of the three categories.

Sure this is a generalization too. There are differences here too. But if you know where you fit into this three categories you can find a outfit that suit you better. As the best outfit for you in PS2 is to find one where most players have the same play style and goals as you.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

A Zergfit for me anyway is an Outfit that invites like crazy w/o much in the way of screening anyone. Has nothing to do with their level of organization (at least for me anyway) a Zergfit can be organized they just invite everyone under the sun and kick those who refuse to be organized.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion