News: Community Night with Matt Higby Recording - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: i never see my quotes wtf...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-29, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Re: Community Night with Matt Higby

Yea with no timer they will need to be more squishy than they were in PS1. They removed AP ammo, so maybe they can be killed with regular ammo easier now. Still take more than a Rexo, but not 3+clips.
Old 2012-01-29, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I'm almost positive MAXs are just going to be a heavy infantry class now, rather than some weird hybrid between infantry and vehicle.
Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
Yea with no timer they will need to be more squishy than they were in PS1. They removed AP ammo, so maybe they can be killed with regular ammo easier now. Still take more than a Rexo, but not 3+clips.
yea thats my thoughts too, i suspect they maybe still be able to be kileld by AV...probably just like any infantry, but given that they;re more readily avalible, with no repsawn timer, and there is no more AP rounds, and their is likely less classes that have AV...they gotta be able to die to regular fire.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-29, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

My thoughts on this is that resources are going to ultimately end up being the restriction on these. I realize he said you can pull one as much as you want. But if you don't have the resources its just not gonna happen that is just my theory on it at least. I figure will probably see a slight increase in max pops compared to PS1. But not as bad as a lot of people are thinking.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-29 at 06:39 AM.
Old 2012-01-29, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Mirror
First Sergeant

I watched the first part with Higby. When is it going to be on Youtube?

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-01-29, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Shogun
Contributor
General

i like that weapons and weapon sidegrades are "unlocked" by using ressources. and when they are unlocked you don´t need ressources to get them again!

but i don´t like that this is propably not the case for the weapons i will be using since matt told us about consumable weapons that are not unlocked, but bought every time. he mentioned grenades,boomers and jammers are among these. and i assume the engineers deployables will also count as consumables and therefore eat up ressources every time you need a resupply of those.

that´s good news for frontsoldiers and bad news for supporters...again.

but what about ammo? will ammo be free pull or since ammo is consumable, will it eat ressources?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-01-29 at 08:01 AM.
Old 2012-01-29, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

I think Everything unique to a class will be free on spawn/resupply (MAX suits, engy deployables, ammo, etc.). Just the extra stuff like vehicles, nades and boomers (not engy only this time?) will cost resources every time.
Old 2012-01-29, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Miir
Malvision

Great work on the show guys... as always.
Old 2012-01-29, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i like that weapons and weapon sidegrades are "unlocked" by using ressources. and when they are unlocked you don´t need ressources to get them again!

but i don´t like that this is propably not the case for the weapons i will be using since matt told us about consumable weapons that are not unlocked, but bought every time. he mentioned grenades,boomers and jammers are among these. and i assume the engineers deployables will also count as consumables and therefore eat up ressources every time you need a resupply of those.

that´s good news for frontsoldiers and bad news for supporters...again.

but what about ammo? will ammo be free pull or since ammo is consumable, will it eat ressources?
While that is a fair concern, I feel that unless the player has to manage their resource gain and consumption, the concept of resources will turn into a cheap gimmick after a short while.

Not necessarily strategy game level of management but something to keep certain items, esp powerful or great utility items, from flooding the battlefield. Keep the players interested in the resource aspect for both themselves and empire.
Old 2012-01-29, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
While that is a fair concern, I feel that unless the player has to manage their resource gain and consumption, the concept of resources will turn into a cheap gimmick after a short while.

Not necessarily strategy game level of management but something to keep certain items, esp powerful or great utility items, from flooding the battlefield. Keep the players interested in the resource aspect for both themselves and empire.
that´s a point.
but my fear is, that the mindless zerg will not have to think about ressources to do what zerg does, but the strategic players will be limited. resulting in even more mindless zerglings because zerging gives ressources, while strategic gameplay eats up ressources.

think of dedicated supporters. if mines, shieldwalls, tanktraps and turrets consume ressources, it will be a lot harder to get someone fortifying a base.

if you buy a grenade for ressources, that´s ok because you are going to use it in combat when you need it. ce stuff has to be laid out in masses to be effective and is often laid out in vain.
do you want to donate all your ressources to put up a minefield "just in case"?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-01-29, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

think of dedicated supporters. if mines, shieldwalls, tanktraps and turrets consume ressources, it will be a lot harder to get someone fortifying a base.

if you buy a grenade for ressources, that´s ok because you are going to use it in combat when you need it. ce stuff has to be laid out in masses to be effective and is often laid out in vain.
I think your overlooking the amount of players that just play support. I don't think it will be as bad as you make it out to be. I know more than a few guys that all they did was enjoy CE'ing a base and will be more than willing to donate their resources to the cause of making sure it will get done. People are not gonna feel bad about spending resources to protect a base that is under siege.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-29 at 08:50 AM.
Old 2012-01-29, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Tool
Master Sergeant

that´s a point.
but my fear is, that the mindless zerg will not have to think about ressources to do what zerg does, but the strategic players will be limited. resulting in even more mindless zerglings because zerging gives ressources, while strategic gameplay eats up ressources.

True, support players appear to be the ones more concerned or would be concerned about resources. So I say then the items power or utility would have to be equal to the cost for acquisition to be fair.

Some would say that there too many deployables in planetside because the only limiting factors were a small cert cost and # deployed per person. If there's a cost involved for aquiring deployables as well, I think it would help create more skillful combat engineers.

Also, depending on how the cert trees turn out there could be a few certs or abilities to lower the resource cost for deticated engineers. Its one of those issues where well have to wait for beta I guess.
Old 2012-01-29, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Yesterday, i learned that paying attention to IRC and TS at the same time is frigging hard. Especialy because IRC was SPAM!
Old 2012-01-29, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
I watched the first part with Higby. When is it going to be on Youtube?
I about 2 minutes.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-01-29, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I about 2 minutes.
Wunderbar!
Old 2012-01-29, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Community Night with Matt Higby Recording

It was a little longer than 2 minutes.. but close.

It has annotations to skip around so be sure to leave the annotation setting on.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion