News: John Smedley on PlanetSide 2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you can't handle eMa's jelly.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-12, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: John Smedley on PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
stuff
Yep, sounds about right. Question is how 'limited' it's going to be.

'Foothold', friendly bases, AMS, tower etc. I'd put my vote on footholds and friendly bases. Being able to spawn 300 man army on an AMS is a bit disturbing ;-)

It's been speculated the first screen of the trailer is actually the new HART.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-12, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
MgFalcon
Captain

If I don't have my Sanctuary anymore, where can I go now to pray to the Almighty Vanu Gods?!?
Old 2011-07-12, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think it's important to note nothing has been finalized. Smed said during one of the panels it will have a "free" component. What that means remains to be seen, it appears they want to add some things into a store but that doesn't mean it will be totally free.

The final business model remains to be seen.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-12, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Tool
Master Sergeant

Honestly, for a game like PS2 a F2P model is excellent. While I'm not a fan of cash shops, a game that relies on hundreds/thousands of players to give one player the base experience, almost demands a much lower monthly cost or be F2P.

It's also worth noting (judging from the game having a form of F2P and the hint during the panel QnA) that having a subscription based game which is cross-console (PS3, 360, and PC) probably would not fare as well as one without. It's safe too assume that PS2 will more than likely be at least on the PS3 and PC. More players is a great thing.

Last edited by Tool; 2011-07-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Raymac
Brigadier General

Back to the sanctuaries topic a bit -

Allow me to brainstorm a bit and propose a new concept that might make sanctuary unnecessary with the conjunction of uncap bases.

<snip>

If they do something like this then I can see why sanctuary is unnecessary, and if they have uncap bases I suppose you could rally at those instead.

Faster travel = faster getting to fights. What travel is faster than instant-travel? It does remove the need for sanctuary....entirely.
Oh great, yet another person that says what I was going to say, but in a far more eloquent way. Well said, Malorn. Why the hell havn't you posted here more?

I guess the only thing I could add is that people here seem to be leaning towards "what we lose by losing Sancs" as opposed to "what we gain by losing Sancs". I think if the uncap bases can do EVERYTHING the Sancs can do now, then why create a whole continent just for Sancs?
Old 2011-07-12, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
MgFalcon
Captain

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
It's safe too assume that PS2 will more than likely be at least on the PS3 and PC. More players is a great thing.
It's also safe to assume that every PC user will be wiping the floor with all the PS3 users.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

The micro-transactions start as cosmetics only...
Old 2011-07-12, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Hamma
PSU Admin

Did you read the Q&A?

Look what happened to CCP when word leaked they may sell power.. you think SOE wants to repeat that?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-12, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I have been a little confused in the past few months by the way he has released information about PS2 (was it real? is this a scam? why drop pics on twitter? what's going on!?), but this unveiling and information and seeing Smed talk about Planetside has convinced me he's genuinely passionate about it and its success.
In regards to your wondering about the information released earlier this year. I do not know if you saw this, Malorn, but SOE was originally going to just update the graphics of the original PS and re-release the game. That was said by, Matt, in a video interview. There were Chinese publishing company saying the same exact plan, but it got junked. Instead PS was moved to the new forgelight engine as mentioned by, Smed, in order to create entirely new game.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by razor851 View Post
The micro-transactions start as cosmetics only...
Blizzard has managed to stick to cosmetic & services only.

Also CCP tried to add powerful ammo into their new store and they got a visceral reaction from their playerbase and had a massive drop in subscriptions due to it (and other things).
Old 2011-07-12, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
It's also safe to assume that every PC user will be wiping the floor with all the PS3 users.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Honestly I'm very for the cash shops in moderation. Like he said, cosmetic stuff. I think people just have to accept that it's just the way MMO's are trending. As long as they aren't selling power and it's just fun stuff then I'm all for it. And like was previously said, within the context of the game. TF2 can get away with selling goofy shit because it's a goofy game, Planetside is not.

As for the pacing of the game it is a bit slow, and combat is a bit clunky also. I didn't think so when I was playing it steadily for 5 years straight but once I left and came back I really noticed it.

Though I think they should have some sort of area's with no combat for when you need to do some of the other stuff besides fighting. You know, certing or setting your queue's, putting together load outs or if you are just looking to talk with somebody in game about something.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by WarChimp130 View Post
Honestly I'm very for the cash shops in moderation. Like he said, cosmetic stuff. I think people just have to accept that it's just the way MMO's are trending. As long as they aren't selling power and it's just fun stuff then I'm all for it. And like was previously said, within the context of the game. TF2 can get away with selling goofy shit because it's a goofy game, Planetside is not.

As for the pacing of the game it is a bit slow, and combat is a bit clunky also. I didn't think so when I was playing it steadily for 5 years straight but once I left and came back I really noticed it.

Though I think they should have some sort of area's with no combat for when you need to do some of the other stuff besides fighting. You know, certing or setting your queue's, putting together load outs or if you are just looking to talk with somebody in game about something.
Perhaps these foothold bases on each cont will have something similar to the capitol domes, i.e. some forcefield or non-combat area. Just a thought as I agree it would be nice to have a place to just putz around or practice.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Perhaps these foothold bases on each cont will have something similar to the capitol domes, i.e. some forcefield or non-combat area. Just a thought as I agree it would be nice to have a place to just putz around or practice.
I thought it was kind of obvious this was going to be the case.
Old 2011-07-12, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
In regards to your wondering about the information released earlier this year. I do not know if you saw this, Malorn, but SOE was originally going to just update the graphics of the original PS and re-release the game. That was said by, Matt, in a video interview. There were Chinese publishing company saying the same exact plan, but it got junked. Instead PS was moved to the new forgelight engine as mentioned by, Smed, in order to create entirely new game.
Decision probably caused by The Agency turning into vaporware, DCUO into a flop and expiring contract on SWG. SOE realised they are being pushed out of MMO market.

Something had to be done - PlanetSide's been tried and it's fairly easy to develop comparing to a normal MMO.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion