News: Video of GDC Media Event - Page 22 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I thought i shot you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #316
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Re: Video of GDC Media Event

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Quote from a different Thread.

I Just REALLY REALLY loved this idea.
if you listen to the gdc demo you will hear higby say that a galaxy can be specced to be a respawn point or a transport
so he's a step ahead of us on this

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-07 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #317
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I didn't pay much attention to the videos some sort of shooting game it seems. But someone mentioned a free bar?

OH YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. YOU BEAUTY!

Looks stunning. The vans in convoy was a really ace moment. Being a tad nerdy I'm also hugely keen on the XML feeds.

I must admit the kill cam needs some tweaking at the least. Need to see yourself die for a little bit to remove the confusion.

Old 2012-03-07, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #318
Surge72
Corporal

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
if you listen to the gdc demo you will hear higby say that a galaxy can be specced to be a respawn point or a transport
so he's a step ahead of us on this
I wouldn't assume that he meant it as a mutually exclusive deal though if I were you. I doubt he put much thought into his explanations to while he was giving that demonstration.
Old 2012-03-07, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #319
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Surge72 View Post
I wouldn't assume that he meant it as a mutually exclusive deal though if I were you. I doubt he put much thought into his explanations to while he was giving that demonstration.
i'm just trying to be positive

but when thinking about it, that would be the most logical setup
you might be able to only cary half the passengers in 1 go as a penalty or tradeoff but you cant "half spawn"
and when it would be specced like a spawner then it wouldnt need the passenger space, since it wont be dropping anything. rather trying to be stealthy to find a good spot for it
and once landed its most likely there untill destroyed,overrun,retreat or victory

so yeah, i'm just a positive guy
Old 2012-03-07, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #320
SWI
Private

Do I see a TR knife there at 3:42 in the 4th part?
Old 2012-03-07, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #321
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
I don't see why there couldn't be a Cert/upgrade in the 'talent tree' for infiltrators that would block killcam from showing their details like weapon used, and on top of it just make it game wide that any infiltrator kill just shows the player's dead body rather then the cloaker? Solved the issue. If you are a skilled cloaker they don't get to know your BR rank or weapon etc, and if you are a cloaker period they don't get to see you, just themselves dead. Also Mines and Combat Engy stuff just shows the mine/boomer/etc that killed you, why would it show the player the used them? Seems like an easy change even if that was the case.
This would be okay, but it absolutely can't be an implant, especially now we know they cost resources. Making infiltrators give up a "slot" for killcam blocking would be as bad as making them give up an implant for sensor shield in PS1.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #322
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Chiming in at the 11th hour here but I have just got to say....

Devs - you have completely nailed this; absolutely bloody amazing, well done!!

I'm completely blown away by what I've seen...surpassed all my expectations and I never thought we'd see the day of an actual Planetside 2.

I have been a massive fan of the original and played for several years from the open beta onwards. Despite dabbling with other games, it's be an on/off relationship like some kind of ex-girlfriend I've kept coming back to time and time again and never been able to get over :P

This game has distinctive look and feel of the original but you've bought it up to 2012 in spectacular fashion and I think you will be very, very successful this time around - makes me proud to still be an avid PC gamer!

As others have said, the performance of PCs and the internet in terms of communications, media coverage, bandwidth etc... are all fit for purpose. I love the battlelog-type out-of-game interface and I can see this being very popular.

As Higby said, with a persistent world, this means so much more when people can check in on the train, at work etc... and see the progress of the battle they were participating in 10-12 hours earlier before they went to sleep etc...

I'd also like to make a special mention to the UI you have created - it is so clean, smooth and detailed which looks a delight to use and a massive improvement over the original.

Apart from the obvious, and Alpha-stage expected lag in the vehicles, everything I've seen just looks brilliant.

Only thing I would say (and I'll await the beta to make a better judgment on this) is the infantry fighting TTK, IMHO, it looks a little quick at the moment for a Planetside game. I was under the impression it would be rather akin to BF:BC2 when you were wearing the body armour perk and the enemy wasn't using magnum rounds - currently it looks fairly COD ish which maybe a little fast.

As a regular medic, I could see their use (combined with the fast respawn) a little more limited or unnecessary compared with the original but we'll see.

Would have loved to have seen some MAX action (I'm guessing the art assets aren't fully ready for these yet) but by the pace of the combat I'm thinking these will be 100% less frustrating to use on a regular basis than the original.

I was a little surprised to see the Reaver flight model looked very similar (hovering very still) in some videos to the original Planetside - I was thinking this was going to be more like flying an attack helicopter in BF3.

Finally, hope I'm wrong on this one, as an NC player Higby opened the store and there were other faction-specific weapons available for purchase - we won't be able to trade station cash or resources to buy other factions weapons will we?

Anyway...small fry, the game is looking totally amazing and you should be very proud of your achievement so far.
Old 2012-03-07, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #323
megamold
Second Lieutenant

another preview for you guys , this one is from pcgamer (not the article from the mag)

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planetside-2-preview-4/
Old 2012-03-07, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #324
noodz
Private

Looks good, things I don't like'

Kill Cam. Bit 50/50 on this.
No enter/exit animations
Draw distance : looks very short.. like planetside 1 on a low draw distance setting.
Small continents .. I dunno that map looks tiny compared to say a, Ceryshen..
TTK is a bit short, that plus faster gameplay will only make things less balanced for oceanic players ;(

Last edited by noodz; 2012-03-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 2012-03-07, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #325
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by noodz View Post
Looks good, things I don't like'

Kill Cam. Bit 50/50 on this.
No enter/exit animations
Draw distance : looks very short.. like planetside 1 on a low draw distance setting.
Small continents .. I dunno that map looks tiny compared to say a, Ceryshen..
TTK is a bit short, that plus faster gameplay will only make things less balanced for oceanic players ;(
Higby claims the viewdistance is one kilometer, which is decent but not preferable. I don't know about Drawdistance..

As for the maps I love the attention to detail but damn that terrain changes quickly. Flying over it I feared he would crash time and time again. It's not very smooth terrain and has an unnatural feeling to it, but hell maybe that's just the theme of the continent.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-07, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #326
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

I did think that the draw distance was way too short, but I assume that is because it is still Alpha, and they didn't want to stress it too much since it is not optimized.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #327
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

Well, this is absolutly f**ing amazing!!!

Here are the things I prefer would change:
-like many, killcam. No thanks!
-Tank driver is gunner. I'm one of those that prefered dedicated roles. The driver was busy enough already, he had to deal with the tank's HP, tactics (flanking, retreating, taking cover etc), give good enough shooting angle to the gunner, teamplay! The gunner had to shoot and be good at it, which in itself is enough considering a moving tank going in many different directions, hitting bumps etc.
It feels a bit BF with the tank, I would love more dedicated roles.
-Enter/Exit animations. This is a huge point to me. It adds so much to realism. If you see your char having to climb up ladders about 3 times the actual player's height just to get in the galaxy, well you're about to drive something big! Same for the tank. Instant in/out feels once again too much arcadish, simple, dumbed down, BF like. It also feels like a botched implementation, to me it shows that animations was too hard to make, took too much time and that willpower was lacking. Its like finding a problem and rather than fixing it, one would just use some workaround and skip it entirely. This is not meant to bash the staff, but this is how I see the implementation of instant in/out of vehicles.
-Darker nighttime, however that last video posted a few pages back showing the guy shooting from the roof seems generally darker, this seems better.
-TTL, slightly slower. Its fast, but a little too fast but not that much, almost got it right there.

Overall tho, this game is gonna be awesome, no doubt there. Graphics are great, base layouts are very well thought out (maybe a little bit more indoor fight?), the bio lab is just jaw dropping! You name it! Nice work!
Old 2012-03-07, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #328
Kilaz
Private

I think I just got a woody
Old 2012-03-08, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #329
Rubius
Private

I'm absolutely thrilled about playing it. I LOVED the night time battle, and all the particle effects.

My one complaint is: the continent looked way too small. It had 4 bases from the looks of it... =/ That will kinda destroy the epicness of the original Planetside.
Old 2012-03-08, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #330
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rubius View Post
I'm absolutely thrilled about playing it. I LOVED the night time battle, and all the particle effects.

My one complaint is: the continent looked way too small. It had 4 bases from the looks of it... =/ That will kinda destroy the epicness of the original Planetside.
Well the continents themselves are bigger than in PS1, bases are also 2-3 the size of a PS1 base according to them.

There has been some discussion about this before, but not sure where

Also, they have intentionally moved the focus away from base fights, cos now all land is up for capture. Yes, the barren desert right there is an area you can capture that gives you resources. So is the forest next to it

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion