PlanetSide Next Mosquito Exclusive - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-11, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
otomotopia
Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide Next Mosquito Exclusive

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
The differences in artistic style seem too large, like they were all designed by another company. Just look at them side to side!
Well, they are designed by different companies. Boeing makes the AH-64, and Lockheed Martin makes the F-22.
Old 2011-02-11, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post
Picture of F-22
Picture of AH-64
The differences in artistic style seem too large, like they were all designed by another company. Just look at them side to side!
Sorry. I get tired of the whole concept of factionalized looks in video games.
Well, they are designed by different companies. Boeing makes the AH-64, and Lockheed Martin makes the F-22.
Darn you beat me to it. Also you're comparing a helicopter with a plane. Remember I'm fine with the whole design and like it. I just wanted to see a version with a transparent canopy in the reaver/galaxy style. (More metal reinforcement maybe with more angles and less domed). Not sure if T-Ray could get someone to do that.

Though honestly I never really flew the Mosquito much. As long as the Liberator has a similar design as the Galaxy then everything is fine with me.
Old 2011-02-11, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
KCTitan
Private

I like the new Mossy. Looks sexy! I'm absolutely loving this new art direction that PSN is taking over PS.

Can we have a Prowler screen next? :o
Old 2011-02-11, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Sifer2
Major

The Mosquito itself looks pretty awesome. An helps seal the deal its a futuristic game. Though the color scheme is difficult to read. At first I thought it was NC but then realized the blue wasn't bright enough so I thought maybe VS. Then finally high rezed it an saw the TR logo. Man if there wasn't name pop ups I would friendly fire that thing out of the sky for sure lol. Faction color needs to be a bit more obvious.
Old 2011-02-11, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by otomotopia View Post
Thats the point. Theres no RP about what fictional company designed what. Not that vehicles designed by the same company need look anything similar.

Hughes(not Boeing) made the AH64. They also made the AH-6. First flights were just a few years apart. Interesting variation in looks. Almost a familiar variation, that I feel I've seen recently..

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-02-11 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Changed aircraft model to military instead of civilian for more apt comparison
Old 2011-02-11, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
otomotopia
Sergeant

Thats the point. Theres no RP about what fictional company designed what. Not that vehicles designed by the same company need look anything similar.

Hughes(not Boeing) made the AH64. They also made the AH-6. First flights were just a few years apart. Interesting variation in looks. Almost a familiar variation, that I feel I've seen recently..
In 1984, McDonnell Douglas purchased Hughes Helicopter Division from Summa Corporation. McDonnell Douglas later merged with Boeing to form The Boeing Company in 1997. The Boeing Company therefore grandfathered all rights and ownership of the Hughes Model 77 and the Apache. The Boeing Company currently manufactures the AH-64D under its Boeing Defense, Space & Security division.

If you're going to try and be smart, at least be smart about it.
Old 2011-02-11, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Canopy looks odd. Even though the game is sci-fi I'd like to see a version with a less rounded/opaque look. Like using flat pieces of transparent glass. The differences in artistic style between this and the reaver and galaxy seem too large like it was designed by another company.
Thats the point. Theres no RP about what fictional company designed what.
When I said "another company" I meant like SOE designed the new Mosquito canopy separately from the other two. I'd prefer if they were more uniform. Plus they changed it a bit much from the original.
Old 2011-02-11, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
When I said "another company" I meant like SOE designed the new Mosquito canopy separately from the other two. I'd prefer if they were more uniform. Plus they changed it a bit much from the original.
Ah. I like it. I suppose I just prefer less styling in general for games. Nobody really goes out of their way to define a uniform 'look' for their machines except a few car companies. Just a minor nitpick I have.

@oto

I know. I was making the point that the same company designed two quite different looking vehicles, and did so with two Hughes helo's rather than pick something else by Boeing, as I didn't want someone to say 'well the ah64 was made by hughes'.

Guess that didn't work out so well. >_<

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-02-11 at 08:58 PM.
Old 2011-02-11, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Bags
Lieutenant General

I don't see why a scout drone (the mossie was originally intended to be a scout / recon vehicle) would look anything like an attack plane thing.
Old 2011-02-11, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I actually think it would be a very interesting twist to take away all weaponry from the mossie so its only defenses are speed and radar.

I would change the role the mossie has, and it would stop people from hover/camping and then afterburning it out of there.
Old 2011-02-11, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Hamma
PSU Admin

Over 12 hours later I've finally got some time to post

Another awesome screenshot - I must admit I still love the direction they are going. I think we are still going to see VTOL all around, having wheels doesn't mean it cant VTOL

It looks mean as hell especially in TR colors - much meaner than the Mosquito as we know it now.

Originally Posted by tkoreaper View Post
You guys ever thought that maybe in PS:N vehicles won't be different by color alone?

For example, look at today's Prowler and Vanguard. The Prowler has a rounded model whereas the Vanguard is more blocky and square. Now take a look at the PS:N version of the NC's Reaver and the TR's Mosquito. The Reaver is much more blocky than the Mosquito and I think it has to do with it being a NC Reaver.

This could easily explain the huge difference in model design and why the color doesn't stick out much.
Best post in the thread, and an awesome observation that I think may be true based on what we have seen so far. I guess we wouldn't be able to confirm until a dev confirmed it or, if we saw some more TR.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-11, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
CutterJohn
Colonel

Its certainly possible there will be more empire specific vehicles. I did always find it strange that there was no ES air cav.

I'm not sure if I like that or not. On the one hand, sure, it varies the fights more, depending on who you are facing off against. On the other.. Balance between sides was enough of an issue with the relatively minor differences in PS, and I've played enough BF or TF2 to know that having varied sides isn't necessary for fun fights. It can help, its not necessarily true that it must help.
Old 2011-02-11, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Aractain
Major

I wanted everything to be empire specific back in the day (not like rexo, just weapons/vehicles/maxs etc).

That does happen to massively increase the amount of work you need to do but I really loved Planetside's aesthetic and the diffrent design of the factions. (I hated the ancient stuff from CC, it detracted from the feel of the game, from the rest of the graphics - they felt like manakins with no clothes on them).

So I would be all for empire specific if it wasn't just cosmetic.

edit: is a manakin something from world of warcraft?

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-02-11 at 11:39 PM.
Old 2011-02-11, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Looking good, I really 'dig' this new style and direction they are taking for PS2, I just hope that SOE somehow has learned from their mistakes from the first time around and will not create another catastrophic game ruining debacle (see BFRs)

Oh and Hi people, its been a long time since I last came here and with the news of psn I finally decided to be fully initiated into you ranks and community, as long as you deem it so of course

Anyway I cant wait to get back into one of the games that truly converted me into gaming in the first place (well competitive wise that is) Last time around I played this and SWG but should had spent my time better on PS instead, I shalt make that mistake again!! :P

Last edited by Sovereign; 2011-02-11 at 11:52 PM.
Old 2011-02-12, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
QuiCKaNdDeaDLy
Corporal

SCHweet!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion