WoW Destroying PC Gaming as we know it? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You magnificent bastard, I salute you!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > World of Warcraft Discussion

Old 2006-03-28, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

WoW Destroying PC Gaming as we know it?

http://bigkid.com.au/2006/02/20/the-...mey/#more-4483

Pretty cool read.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-03-28, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yea totally leave out the HUGE increase of people playing on consoles instead. good article dipshit[the writer].

I'd look at the impact of consoles on PC gaming not some Game. the type of gamer that ONLY plays wow. would ONLY play one other game if it wasnt wow.

bottom line shitty article.
Old 2006-03-28, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Because you know ever one of the 5.5 million subscribers of wow.

It's still a good read even though there are a few extreme views in it. Consoles have been around alot longer than WoW. I personally HATE playing an FPS on a console.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2006-03-28 at 10:56 AM.
Old 2006-03-28, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yes but consoles were just as taboo back then. now playing games is mainstream.

and of course there are exceptions thats a given to everything.

but consoles have gotten faster smoother and easier to paly on. a hell of a lot easier and more acessible than PC's.
blaming it on wow is just stupid. at least blaming the majority of it on wow is stupid.
Old 2006-03-28, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

I don't buy other games because I am stuck on WoW.....I don't buy other games because they suck. If a better games comes along, I will get it. I have bought a few of the recently hyped titles during my WoW subscription and interest in them was short lived.

The question I***8217;m putting forward is whether the success of WoW and the nature of it***8217;s genre is having a negative impact on the gaming industry?
The success of WoW will not have a negative effect on the gaming community, it will will crush the crappy games and encourage the production of better games.

In addition, MMOs in general and WoW is no exception have time sinks.
They do their best to put off the end of the game as long as possible. Who wants to spend $60 on a game they are going to beat in 10 hours. I rather put my money in monthly and have the end of my game be quite longer than just a couple of weekends.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2006-03-28, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Before I leave Ohio, I am dealing the death blow to the capitalist aggressor. By cancelling my WoW account.
Old 2006-03-28, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Giving up WoW was surprisingly easy when I decided to go back to Eve.

Old 2006-03-28, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

WoW, is a fun game, that has managed to hold the attention of 5.5 million subscribers. When it ceases to be fun, i'm sure people will stop playing, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

This guy is basically insinuating that people are playing WoW, because there is a major lack of "good" games being released. That is ludacris.

BTW, Playing an FPS on a console is :barf:
Old 2006-03-28, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Squeeky
BTW, Playing an FPS on a console is :barf:
For the most part, yes. I do enjoy Halo, like many other people, but definately prefer mouse and keyboard when it comes to first person shooters.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2006-03-28, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Yes,I rented some of the new fps's and they sucked.Halo seems to be one of the only good fps's on a console.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2006-03-29, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gryphon
The success of WoW will not have a negative effect on the gaming community, it will will crush the crappy games and encourage the production of better games.
WoW ultimately has nothing to do with that, the only people who can encourage the production of better games are the publishers. The dev houses will always be coming up with new and different games, it's just a case of whether the publishers wish to run with those games..... but I digress.

I'm honestly not actually sure what he's trying to say, just seems to be annoyed that everyone else is playing WoW and not joining him for a game of Quake 4 deathmatch or something.
Old 2006-03-29, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I think people are forgetting that its normal to play one large game for a long time sometimes before you get the next also. It's normal of single player. And I'm sure has been very normal in MMorpg type games since they started being played 10+ years ago.

They just need to be patient and wait. If you've ever played a blizzard game in the past you know that is the normal game play trend for that companies games. It's been that way since atleast warcraft first came out.

You get different affects based on the companies games, or the game itself. Some games you only need to play so long and you can go back and forth. Some games you play alot to get the experience or you get hooked. If you look at the past that makes sense with how blizzard and warcraft are played. Its about whos on the top atm. It's just that in the past other game companies producing games with different game experiences were the ones making the most sales. Now blizzard is, who's games have always been played, that way are being seen most. It's not going to change now that they have top sales in the mmos. It will disapear when someone else gets their sales and they are no longer top again.

People played their games like this before this happened, when they were still sitting in the background, and it will happen while they are on top. Things are about as steady as they could be atm from what i see. If you dont want them on top because you think it hurts the rest of the gaming industry and its creativity play something else. It will grow again. Just goes to show you how smal and insignificant the fps genre is on gameing. 8)

Just think that your putting a very heavy played rts(especially their immersion ability) based game into an rpg and imagine the natural consiquences and wonder. I dont play it but i'm sure thats has something to do with it considering how much i have played blizzard in the past. Not that they were ever my main gameing company. (sierra and broderbund types for me)

Last edited by Ait'al; 2006-03-29 at 07:55 AM.
Old 2006-03-29, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

like he said. I remember when games came out a few times a year at most. now its expected to buy a new game every month. fuck that.
Old 2006-03-29, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gryphon
I don't buy other games because I am stuck on WoW.....I don't buy other games because they suck. If a better games comes along, I will get it. I have bought a few of the recently hyped titles during my WoW subscription and interest in them was short lived.
That is pretty much the answer to the guy's question. If distributors weren't so busy dicking over developers, we'd have way more fun, but more importantly, innovative games to play (a.k.a. more WoW options).

Hats off to blizzard for really delivering a great MMO. They didn't really do anything innovative so to speak, but what they did do was address one of the biggest problems that makes every MMO suck, and that's the character development grind. WoW somehow took the part of the game that is so mind numbing in other MMOs and made it fun. Taking a character to 60 in WoW is actually entertaining and because of that, casual players who will most likely never see the endgame in any other MMO can take their time and have fun playing WoW.

[rant]WoW could have been the greatest MMO ever, but the endgame is just shit. I can't imagine how anybody can argue it any other way. Unless of course you thought EQ was good. That's what makes my head hurt so much. How can Blizzard take the boring parts of an MMO and make them awesome, but take the exciting part and make it boring? [/rant]

The problem is what are the alternatives? If you like MMORPGs, what the hell else are you going to play? What developers need to be doing is approaching the issue just like Blizzard did. What do people like about WoW and what do they hate about it.
Old 2006-03-30, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by LesserShade
How can Blizzard take the boring parts of an MMO and make them awesome, but take the exciting part and make it boring?
Two words: Expansion Pack.

I think when you make a game to cater for the casual gamer, you have to make everything for the casual gamer, hence even the endgame is geared to the casual gamer.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > World of Warcraft Discussion