How to fix the TR mini-chaingun (and the other HA weapons) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tip your admins!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-10, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Re: How to fix the TR mini-chaingun (and the other HA weapons)

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
oh i thought this was about the TR MAX chainguns which suck compared to NC/VS (the accuracy sucks)
Huh? NC only get shotguns budday. I'd love a chaingun option, swap you for one of our 4/5 shotgun options :P
Old 2013-06-10, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post
Huh? NC only get shotguns budday. I'd love a chaingun option, swap you for one of our 4/5 shotgun options :P
so? you guys hardly dont have to aim, while we have to, as our accuracy is crappy.

have you tried chainguns on the TR MAX?
Old 2013-06-10, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
For the THIRD TIME, this is COMPLETELY unneeded, as you can bypass the spool-up time anyway!!
omfg what's wrong with you?!

Just because the MCG is being exploited, doesn't mean we should stop looking for ways to improve on it!!!

Hopefully the devs will fucking fix the exploit, but probably not until they do a balance pass on Empire spec HA weapons. I'm fine with that.

I started using the Jackhammer recently and it's ok in burst fire mode. I use it with a flash-light attached, for the lols. Most other shotguns are better or about equal with it though. No real reason to buy it unless you are overflowing with certs/SC.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-06-10, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
No real reason to buy it unless you are overflowing with certs/SC.
It was on special......its a "special" gun.

camy - its fine, the range on the chaingun is decent and you get a lot of rounds. I still get whacked by them regularly. All I'm asking for is some variety and a bit of range. AND you want the same but opposite, variety ( I.E not another chaingun) and some CQC MAX weapons. We all want the same thing....kinda
Old 2013-06-10, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
OCNSethy
Major

Have to agree with Brusi. Having to use an exploit as a fix is no fix at all.
Old 2013-06-10, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
omfg what's wrong with you?!

Just because the MCG is being exploited, doesn't mean we should stop looking for ways to improve on it!!!

Hopefully the devs will fucking fix the exploit, but probably not until they do a balance pass on Empire spec HA weapons. I'm fine with that.

I started using the Jackhammer recently and it's ok in burst fire mode. I use it with a flash-light attached, for the lols. Most other shotguns are better or about equal with it though. No real reason to buy it unless you are overflowing with certs/SC.
Except it doesn't seem to be an exploit because if you read the patch notes it says, "Removed spool up time for MCG."

Though it was not ACTUALLY removed, I'm pretty sure this method is what they meant.

And, it's been in the game for ages. And its well known. Wouldn't they have fixed it by now?
Old 2013-06-10, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Fair enough. I didn't see the removal of MCG spoolup in the notes.

Re: bugs being removed in a timely manner...

The VS cosmos/blueshift were screwed up at launch. That wasn't fixed until they did a MAX Unit balance pass... like 6 months later or something.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-06-11, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
Except it doesn't seem to be an exploit because if you read the patch notes it says, "Removed spool up time for MCG."

Though it was not ACTUALLY removed, I'm pretty sure this method is what they meant.

And, it's been in the game for ages. And its well known. Wouldn't they have fixed it by now?
I'm pretty sure they originally said they were going to remove the spool-up time, but that to balance it the RoF would start out low and gradually increase as you fired.

In practice I think they ran into problems with that, so it was never actually patched in - they just forgot to update the patch notes.

Whether they left the exploit in deliberately to make the gun better in the meantime, or whether it's just one of the dozens of random small bugs they haven't got around to fixing is anybody's guess.

Anyway - I like the idea of ADS with the MCG also spinning-up the gun. That already has the downside of slower movement, but it might be worth also adding some kind of barrel-spin noise.

No idea how to fix the JH without making it overpowered given how strong normal shotguns are already. Basically they completely killed its niche by introducing pump shotguns. I guess maybe they could allow you to toggle the JH firing modes to effectively move it between the auto/semi-auto/pump roles, so it has versatility on its side rather than any extra power?

For the Lasher, I'd say allow it to do minor AV damage to give it a bit of a different role - that'd fit well with its explosive damage type. Making it an infantry suppression and anti-MAX weapon, rather than a 1v1 killer.

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 2013-06-11 at 03:41 AM.
Old 2013-06-11, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

How to Fix the MCG, by bpostal:

1: Flip it "upside down"
2: Make no other changes (at least, in my eyes no other changes are needed)
3:Put it up for sale
4:Make at least another $7.

Sure, changes to the spin up times and all that jazz would be nice, but the fucking thing is still upside down.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-11, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

The Jackhammer honestly is fine, and that's coming from an NC. The only thing I would like to see on it so I stop using my piston is an increase in ammo/mag capacity.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dragonskin
Major

My HA specific guns would be ranked with MCG first, Jackhammer second and Lasher third. I had the Lasher since launch, but got the Jackhammer and MCG when they had the member sale for 50% off.

MCG is versatile. I can take it in to most situations and know that I have enough bullets to lay waste to whatever is in my path. I can't round corners blindly, but if I play to it's strengths I can use it almost anywhere... it's even good at long distance as long as you are standing still.

Jackhammer is CQC only.. it's nice that it has a tight grouping so that you can use it at ranges the pumps don't seem to be able to handle. I like that it's semi auto or burst fire. It does suck that you can use other shotguns to similar effect.. pumps are way better at close range and at mid-long range you are better off with any LMG.

Lasher... coolest looking to me with the MCG behind it. The lasher is just way too specialized. It's terrible in CQC and not amazing at range because the bullet velocity is so low. The only thing it excels at is suppression... great for spawn room camping or locking down hallways/corridors. Sadly friendies are magnets to it and you end up getting high grief before you can actually do much to the enemy. The MCG is almost just as good at suppression. I wish the lasher did more direct damage and maybe slightly higher AOE damage. Still the coolest part is the looks.

On topic, I like the MCG a lot. I wish it looked a little more functional. The current design doesn't really look believable to me. I really like the digital read out for bullets.. when the read out works. The spin up isn't terrible, but would be nice if they would either reduce it or make it consistant so that people don't continue to abuse ADS for spin up. If they could make it look more like the original then I would be super happy.
Old 2013-06-11, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Roderick
Corporal

I like the Mini Chaingun as it is currently and will be using it more often.

I was using it last night with very positive results in a Bio Lab fight and other bases before calling it a night. It has its drawbacks, but not enough where it warrants a major fix.

At this stage, anything added to the Mini Chaingun will be considered a bonus.

Those that claim the gun sucks are not using the weapon properly.
Old 2013-06-11, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post

really???? you wanna trade? AT LEAST THE JACKHAMMER WORKS.
our pos mcg has been broken since launch, and we have heard since gu 3 or 4 that they would be looking into it.... what are we on now? almost gu 9,,,and the mcg is still a broken pos. shet rof, shet cof, shet spin up time. the only way to use the gun and have it be viable is to exploit the insta fire. even if you exploit the mcg with insta fire its still as useless as a shet flavored lolly pop.

msw is 10 times better than the mcg for hip fire, rhino, 200 rounds with extended mag and no spin up is 10 times better than the mcg for range. its a shet weapon, biggest waste of certs to date.

look at the stats on the spread sheet.your gimping yourself every time you equip it, we have far better guns with faster ttks that are more viable than the mcg.

i love how the nc and vs players praise our garbage...buy it, use it, and then come back and post when you have a clue

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2013-06-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 2013-06-11, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hobnail
Private

Dude, the MCG has no spin up...practically speaking. Fix that exploit then roll out a fairer spinup mechanic.

The JH needs either a damage buff or an on the fly slug-mode.
Old 2013-06-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hobnail View Post
Dude, the MCG has no spin up...practically speaking. Fix that exploit then roll out a fairer spinup mechanic.

The JH needs either a damage buff or an on the fly slug-mode.

i know how to use it lol, what should i use it for? movement speed is awful for close range,cof is massive, and rof is the same as many of our other weapons. so there are many better weapons than the mcg for close range.

use it long range then? nah then you have to contend with the spin up to get the small cof, but then again we have many better guns than the mcg for long range. you get it? mcg has no place, its garbage, and its still broken.

so how about we have the devs fix the mcg ,which has been broken since launch. before they buff the jackhammer for a third time.

you want some perspective?..... there are smgs in this game that hit for 143 and have a rof 800 .... just as good as our mcg, has no spin up, badasss cof and a infil can use it. lol and you think the mcg is good? lol my infil kicks my assss with a smg lol

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2013-06-11 at 06:18 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion