A discussion of Stamina and Implants - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: wouldnt Marsman be on Mars?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-09-27, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
GTGD
First Sergeant

A discussion of Stamina and Implants

So the stamina bar has been confirmed to not be present. What does that mean for the game? I'm hoping there is a bit of a delay between jumps, and that you can't just bunnyhop everywhere.

But more importantly, what happens to implants? Even if they are in the game, they would have to be changed dramatically or have an "energy bar" of some sort. Surely they can't be gone for good, they really helped customize a role further. And plus, gotta have my enhanced targeting
Old 2011-09-27, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Graywolves
General

Re: A discussion of Stamina and Implants

A couple months ago they said they planned to have alot of implants ready for launch, but nothing has come up since.

It would be nice to hear more.
Old 2011-09-27, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm concerned that they've not fully thought out the bunny hopping thing. We'll see though.
Old 2011-09-27, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
FIREk
Captain

I don't think bunny hopping has been a problem since Counter-Strike 1.3 or something... At least I haven't seen any since I stopped playing Quake 2 CTF.
With bunny hopping being impossible, it's only a matter of whether or not someone chooses to jump all the time, but it's their problem for looking stupid.

As for Stamina, or lack thereof, "active" implants will definitely have to run off some sort of capacitor, now that stamina is gone, or course. Would it be one per implant, or a global "power supply" for all implants?

Also, I wonder how many implant slots would be available... My guess would be 2 max. The Targeting implant is included in the HUD, and there should be room for Darklight+something, or NV+something.
It's possible that we will end up with context-based implant slots. For instance:
Ocular implants - Darklight, Night Vision, Enhanced Zoom.
Utility (or torso) implants - might be some health regen stuff, maybe an implant that helps with recoil.
Leg implants - self-explanatory.
Something like this was done in APB: Reloaded and helped with exploitable cookie-cutter setups, like superior health regen, superior damage resistance and superior health, giving you uber-superior survivability.
It also forces people to make hard choices, for instance - when night comes, should I get Darklight to help against cloakers (who will be extra hard to spot in the dark), or Night Vision, to better see what's going on around me in general?

Furthermore, a good topic for discussion is when implants will be selected. Will they be selected on the loadout screen, like the various character upgrades/skills in BFBC2, or inconvenient-like, in the form of special terminals?
I would prefer the former. If night came, I would only have to switch my implants from Darklight to NV, instead of going to some facility and wasting time just to adapt to the current battlefield.

And, finally, what implants may be available in PS2?
1) I'm sure we can expect some sort of Darklight implant and possibly a Night Vision implant. Night Vision goggles/scopes were mentioned, but might cost resources - letting you get Darklight, for instance, but for a price.
2) Sprint is standard, plus speed is exploitable in online games, so Surge may be out, unless it's a passive implant with minor benefits, for instance.
3) Shields are also standard, so Personal Shield may be gone as well.
4) Passive health regen implants might be out as well, to make Medics useful, however if they were inconvenient (slow) enough, they would make sense.
5) Stealth-oriented implants will likely be in.
6) I can imagine some sort of EMP resistance implant as a new addition.

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-27 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2011-09-27, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
So the stamina bar has been confirmed to not be present. What does that mean for the game? I'm hoping there is a bit of a delay between jumps, and that you can't just bunnyhop everywhere.

But more importantly, what happens to implants? Even if they are in the game, they would have to be changed dramatically or have an "energy bar" of some sort. Surely they can't be gone for good, they really helped customize a role further. And plus, gotta have my enhanced targeting
Some could simply be "on all the time", while others might give passive bonuses.

Candidates for "on all the time": Enhanced targeting, range magnifier, audio amplifier, surge (flat footspeed increase), melee booster, maybe even regeneration.

Darklight might be a simple toggle with no particular cost in either state, though I think they should limit the speed you can toggle at, as in the current PS1.

Personal Shield is probably flat out gone. Sensor shield could be a toggle if it were noisy enough. Could just be a passive/always-on thing if other implants were good enough that having it was a genuine sacrifice to something else.

And we may see Totally New Stuff too.
Old 2011-09-27, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I think Higby said anyone trying to bunny hop or strafe like PS1 just doesn't know how to play the game correctly and won't receive any benefit like in PS1.

As far as implants and stamina, who says they have to run off energy? Don't get too attached to old ways. It could be passive like Napalm said, how annoying was it to always wait for and turn on Enhanced Targeting or Sensor Shield? We know it's gonna be faster paced so no point in a charge-up delay. It could also simply be on cooldown, you can only PShield every 4-5 minutes, same with Surge. Some could have whole new mechanics, like increased accuracy or range but it takes away some of your health. Or something that is a direct counter to another implant, and can only be used in range of it.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-09-27 at 12:48 PM.
Old 2011-09-27, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

Yeah when I heard about the no stamina system for PS2 I kind of just assumed they decided to go with only passive implants to reduce the complexity of the game. To be honest I like complexity when players have so many choices since it really changes up the more deterministic rock paper scissor fights.

This also destroys my idea of using the stamina system and implants as an energy bar for class implant abilities. Really would like to see how they're taking this since right now we have no examples of implants they want to add or the associated skill trees.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I'm concerned that they've not fully thought out the bunny hopping thing. We'll see though.
Lol. I can't wait to see a bunny hoping max. Anyway I highly doubt we will see anything like bunny hopping or dolphin diving in PS2.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vernam
Sergeant

Bunnyhopping must be mandatory. What else would I do with my left thumb? It sits comfortably on the space bar at all times and just feels natural to always press it. I neeeed it.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.
Old 2011-09-27, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SavageB
First Sergeant

Some games that I have played after jumping you kinda slow down a tad when you land, this is something they could use to eiliminate the bhop problem. I wouldn't worry about anything like that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion