Customization Woes - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bringing sexy back.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-05, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Re: Customization Woes

I think both screens the OP posted look BADASS. I love the camo patterns, and the idea of customization as a whole (as long as it's not TF2 style -- with goofy hats and whatnot).

It's not "PS1" to a T, but if they don't add some new things, PS2 would simply suffer the same fate as it's predecessor.

Last edited by Lokster; 2012-05-05 at 07:49 AM.
Old 2012-05-05, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Why would they let you turn it off if players pay for such a thing? That would be unprecedented in the F2P market and detract from the value of such customization. It's a risky move to take from a business perspective. The whole point of the skin is so other people can see it, especially in a first person game.

+1

I agree, it would just be a bad idea for SOE. I think the largest reason for wanting the customizations turned off is to prevent seeing the absurd things that could be immersion-breaking... like an ice cream truck Sunderer. I (and many others I'm sure) would rather SOE stick to skins and models that have a planetside feel to them, however, everyone has to pay rent. SOE will give the people what they want - and if a large portion of the players are willing to throw out station cash for ice cream truck sunderers, then of course SOE will make more customizations like that.

tl;dr - vote with your $$

Last edited by PlaceboCyanide; 2012-05-05 at 07:42 AM.
Old 2012-05-05, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Why would they let you turn it off if players pay for such a thing? That would be unprecedented in the F2P market and detract from the value of such customization. It's a risky move to take from a business perspective. The whole point of the skin is so other people can see it, especially in a first person game.
Which is why I should be able to pay for such an option as turning off customizations. I think it's a fair request.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
Which is why I should be able to pay for such an option as turning off customizations. I think it's a fair request.
While I understand your point, I don't think that's the way to handle it, your 'one-off' payment - if taken in enough numbers, will negate a payment a customisation fan might make many times over the course of a few years play - but they won't if they think nobody is gonna see it.

For me, its up to SoE to resist creating permanent customisations that kill the feel of the game.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
While I understand your point, I don't think that's the way to handle it, your 'one-off' payment - if taken in enough numbers, will negate a payment a customisation fan might make many times over the course of a few years play - but they won't if they think nobody is gonna see it.

For me, its up to SoE to resist creating permanent customisations that kill the feel of the game.
I really don't care if they feel their purchase has been "negated". If we both pay to customize the game to our desires, I personally think that they can just suck it up.

"Aww, he can't see my super sweet gold rims and pink armor! This ruins my gameplay experience!"

Really?

Buying customizations forces all of the other players to deal with your tastes, even if they find them obnoxious. However, paying to remove customizations from appearing on your own screen affects the other players in no way. They are similar requests, as both deal with customizing the game to your desires, but it's obvious to me that the one that doesn't force anything upon your fellow players should be the one to win out in this debate over whose desires should take precedence.

Last edited by LostAlgorithm; 2012-05-05 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
laelgon
Corporal

I don't think players should have to pay to not see other people's customizations. That said, it's SOE's responsibility to make sure that the customizations aren't obnoxious and don't ruin the experience for other players. If the option existed to turn them off, I would probably never use it until I see a player running by with neon rainbow patterned armor. Customization needs to be done in a way that motivates people to purchase them, yet doesn't break the immersion and sticks with each empire's theme.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
"Aww, he can't see my super sweet gold rims and pink armor! This ruins my gameplay experience!"

Really?
Not the point. If many people know that many others won't see their customisations, they won't buy them in as a great a number.

You are being selfish. The game is free to download, free to play. Only things like in game advertising, and cash shop items will support it. Even if you don't want to buy them - you need people to want to buy them or PS2 is ended for us all because SoE is a business.

If there's a on off payment of say $15 to switch off everyone's customisations, and it's popular, then buying customisations themselves will become far less popular, and they are repeat purchases worth more than $15 per player over time.

Last edited by Kipper; 2012-05-05 at 06:45 PM.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
NCLynx
Major

If the 100% cash shop only aesthetic things are on a timer (Buy it and have it for a limited time then it goes away again) I won't be buying anything at all.

If other people cannot see what I buy I'm also less likely to buy it.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Combat arms does this, you buy shit and it goes away after a certain amount of time. Which prevents people like my self, coughing up any kind of money for extra stuff. If I cannot keep it on my character forever.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
Combat arms does this, you buy shit and it goes away after a certain amount of time. Which prevents people like my self, coughing up any kind of money for extra stuff. If I cannot keep it on my character forever.
World of tanks does this - game coin gets you temporary camo, and it's hard enough to earn enough to buy new tanks with so I won't do that. Real money gets permanent camo for a single tank, but it ain't cheap - and you don't keep tanks forever.

It looks good, but sadly on those terms I won't pay for camo. I do occasionally buy game coin and premium time tho. I would buy a pattern if I could switch it between tanks, maybe.

That said, I will buy PS2 items that are unique to vehicles - simply because there are less vehicles and I'll get much more use out of each one given that they aren't obsoleted by better ones.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I kind of agree with him though, that if it's just straightforward camo (not like purple and orange stripes or something like that) then it's not too big a deal. I just hope they don't get too carried away with it and force people to have to see it it they are turned off by it.
This guy is on my level ^^^

Camo and things like that make sense, maybe even colors for guns, simple things. But even then I would love to be able to see the game as Vanilla PS2 with no custom stuff like in PS1. Everything uniform.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
laelgon
Corporal

I hope they're smart enough to make things one time purchases. I can't see myself ever dropping money just to have a different aesthetic for a limited amount of time.
Old 2012-05-05, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by laelgon View Post
I hope they're smart enough to make things one time purchases. I can't see myself ever dropping money just to have a different aesthetic for a limited amount of time.
That would never happen, no worries.
Old 2012-05-05, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
That would never happen, no worries.
It happens elsewhere. To what level of success, I don't know - but I'd say the majority of people in World of Tanks don't have camo because its simply not worth it.

I'd wager more people would buy if it was a pattern that you could apply to any tank (even if only one at a time).

Obviously 10 people buying it one time is the same as 1 person buying it 10 times, so only they know if its working for them. I just know that I personally don't temporary cosmetics in games for real money.

Temporary premium time / XP boosts are fine - thats just like a subscription that's more in your control.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Not the point. If many people know that many others won't see their customisations, they won't buy them in as a great a number.

You are being selfish. The game is free to download, free to play. Only things like in game advertising, and cash shop items will support it. Even if you don't want to buy them - you need people to want to buy them or PS2 is ended for us all because SoE is a business.
I'm the one being selfish? I'm just trying to give players options, it's the people pushing for no option to hide customization that are trying to force it onto others and begin selfish, if anything. Other than the customizations I find obnoxious, I really don't care about customizations at all. I'm not going to be impressed because your armor has tiger stripes or is slightly shinier.

And is PS2 really going to be free to download? I was under the impression it was at least a one time license purchase as well.

If there's a on off payment of say $15 to switch off everyone's customisations, and it's popular, then buying customisations themselves will become far less popular, and they are repeat purchases worth more than $15 per player over time.
I disagree that it will have a large enough effect to make customizations unpopular. People have very varied tastes, and there will still be many, as characterized by this thread, who you can flaunt your bling to.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion