SmedBlog (last year): NPC Enemies and Armies - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma made me do it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: NPC Enemies and Armies

Yah, I still don't like the idea of AI military units.

Base defense turrets sure and deployable turrets maybe but the combat I feel should always remain between players. Defense turrets would require more than just a couple lone-wolfers being able to start capping a base away from combat... helps reinforce strength of defending.

I think AI could be implemented in other ways, such as the passive transport and mining units related to your other idea. Supply lines/harvesters on the other hand pull defenders out of the base forcing them to have more active defense lines (the better base defenses helping facilitate this spreading out)

Also wildlife and maybe (hopefully rare) alien invasion events wouldn't seriously distract from the game as the former is mostly just scenery and potentially adding to environmental hazards (also a great addition) and the latter would simply be more of an exception than the norm.

I also don't see much need for custom scripting.... as cool as it is in concept, it just seems to risky to exploitation
Old 2012-08-12, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Graywolves
General

Me reluctance towards the AI isn't so much that it won't be fun or interesting. I just feel that Planetside 2 should remain PvP. When I die I don't want it to be because someone deployed an automated drone or a T-800 but because someone took the time to shoot me. I don't want to waste time shooting AI either, it could easily become just a nuisance.

On the other hand it could help the underdorgs or outnumbered players to have a better fighting chance.

I liked Drones in Killzone 2. When I think about those it feels a little more manageable but when I think about the scale and possible exploits it becomes frustrating.

I'd rather stick to fighting players.

-edit- Perhaps AI that isn't hostile? Scouting/recon droids? Think something similar to mobile motion sensors.

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-08-12 at 12:25 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
HollowX
Private

@Smed: A BIG THANK YOU for listening to the community and taking our opinions to heart.

@Electrofrek: You are the SMARTEST S.O.A.B. I've encountered so far on this forum.

So here goes nothing.

When I tell my friends how excited I am for PS2, I start by describing the game this way:
"Imagine 3 teams of THOUSANDS of REAL players in ALL OUT WAR for territory on a MASSIVE continents XX times larger than BF, COD, etc.." <--This gets them wet. (*salivating)

Now here is what I think about NPCs:
"NO."

The #1 aspect of Planetside and the BRAND'S IMAGE is 'Player Driven Battles'.

Rare NPC Alien Invasions. "NO."
This goes against the brand of PS and will ultimately destroy the game's player base as BFRs did in PS1. Not even as an expansion pack on a different continent, planet, 4th dimension, etc. This isn't Anarchy Online.

NPC Resource Gatherers. "NO."
The year is 2845. Tech has advanced beyond the point of autonomous robots and drone-like resource gatherers. Every human hand available is meant to be wielding a weapon in all out WAR. No StarCraft resource gathering or Minecraft B.S.. Let us just fight each other!

NP Turrets. "YES."
In Outfit owned bases only, it would be neat to see the NP Turrets have an upgradable programmable option. Not sure on specifics, but the possibilities are exciting.

4th Empire Rising. "MAYBE."
It would be interesting to discuss the possibility of having a Player Controlled 4th Empire (Alien or not). This empire could be neutral and accessed by any of the main empires to be used for specific purposes. Not sure on specifics but I'll get my creative mind to work and write up something soon.

Thanks for READING my FIRST post!
Old 2012-08-12, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Yah, like I said, I'm reserved about the idea of even a single static deployable for 1 class as an upgrade.

Base defenses are slightly different... but they should not be more effective than a decent player manning the gun in place of the AI. The real benefit here is the enemy can't tell offhand how well a base is truly defended, and in fact leaving a few unoccupied would make for good warning (what the hell is the turret shooting at *look up* AIR RAID! man the guns!)
Old 2012-08-12, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Just make NPCs a very conditional and limited advantage a faction can get; if a faction controls X number of whateverthefuck laboratories on the map, then engineers can spend resources to build an automated ground robot with short range weapons.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Anabuki
Private

I think the best way to implement the AI/non-player entity idea would be either a very rare server wide event for funsies and/or deployable and non-deployable base defenses, like automated base defense turrets or patrolling machines that can spot infiltrators. They don't even have to shoot, just sound an alarm that's visible on the map when they detect a hostile presence. Not every base should have it the moment you capture it though. Maybe bases can slowly upgrade given resources and time held (kind of like EVE's sovereignty system), which will add to its automated defenses and fortifications.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

PlanetSide2 is PVP only. It's important that it will still like that.

I wouldn't mind if this alien faction was indeed player controlled (give certain vets/outfits access to play them). Could be fun.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by OpolE View Post
IF THE ALIENS WERE CONTROLLED BY DEVS OR PLAYERS then yes. Like a one off event like black ops that people are summoned to!
This pretty much...
Old 2012-08-12, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Phaaze
Private

Some reason I'm getting that Peter Molyneux vibe...
Old 2012-08-12, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
HollowX
Private

Originally Posted by Phaaze View Post
Some reason I'm getting that Peter Molyneux vibe...
Haha! Funny, but I don't think that's the case. These devs may be trying to hype it up, but they are listening to the community. At least they better!!
Old 2012-08-12, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Was pretty dumbfounded when I heard about the idea of NPC's being connected with Planetside 2. Immediately thought why? If I want to fight boring automatons I would play WoW. Any consideration of NPC's being in game is completely unlike what I want for Planetside 2. Planetside 1 didn't need them so why would Planetside 2 need them. Planetside 2 should remain forever NPC free and always be about PVP. Otherwise it has no hope to be the great game that I hope it can become.

Let me reiterate the main point: NPC's in PS2 = Idiotic.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Not my creation...

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
Mattmatrix
Private

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
we want you to feel like you're in a war and we're the heroes of that war.

But that's not the point of Planetside. We work together, we make our own heroes. We have commanders and CR5's that we hate but for some reason listen to them anyway.

We don't want to be the heroes, at least not because there are NPCs

We want to fight a battle with out comrades and maybe we will be seen as heroes on our server from our actions, but it won't have anything to do with us feeling powerful because of weak NPCs. Instead we'll hold bases against waves and take out 5 guys as the last one standing, allowing us to revive everyone before the next group comes in. We'll be the guy that get in the ANT in at the last possible moment and saves us from losing the base. The galaxy pilot that comes in and gives a much needed spawn point, turning the tide of a losing battle.

That's what makes PS so great. Players feel powerful because of their actions and the actions of their outfit. Anyone who played on Emerald back in the day can remember the horror (or relief if you were on the right faction) of an Enclave 5 gal drop on top of a facility that had 10 min left on the hack.

Power comes from teamwork and skill, not from giving us cannon fodder. That's kind of like the semi-attractive girl hanging out with all the ugly girls to look better in comparison. So not Planetside
Old 2012-08-12, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

I'd be ok with an alien invasion. But only if they happened once every 1-2 weeks at the most.

That way, the average person will only see one every couple of months. Making it extra special, and completely unexpected.

Random time of day, on random continent.

In fact, why make it an attack? Why not just have them stopping at Auraxis to make some repairs to their ships/refuel/get some homeless guy to squeegee the windshield/w.e their reason. So they set up their own defensive position.

Make it nearly impossible to overtake it, but a big reward if we manage to.

Stuff like, single alien tanks requiring entire squads to take out (possibly with locational damage/wear and tear).

This way, whether a faction decides to try to fight them or not, isn't a huge decision, because its not guaranteed. It's sheer presence on the map would sway battle lines, just from people deciding to try or not.

Last edited by Justaman; 2012-08-12 at 01:38 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #165
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Firefall is a Great Game, however i do not like this on Planetside.
Well in the End nobody asks me XD
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion