LMGs and RPGs - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where hazing is still legal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-20, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Palerion
Sergeant Major

LMGs and RPGs

Heavy assault is currently a class with many big, big weapons. Rocket launchers, LMGs, and a really powerful shield to boot.

Quite frankly I don't understand it very much though, because with all this gear and seemingly no hindrance, it doesn't seem to make very much sense as a class. Especially as the class that is supposed to be the "basic infantry". The common pushing force. It doesn't add up that the most versatile, basic infantry class in the game is meant to hold an LMG and an RPG. That's a lot of gear; gear that I would expect a more specialized unit to carry.

When people complain about RPG and explosives spam, I wonder why the most played infantry class in the game has an RPG on it. And a 100 round automatic weapon. I would expect the most commonly used class (the majority of the fighting force) to be a rifle wielding soldier, not a hulking mass of seemingly unhindered firepower.

I really don't think it should maintain all the versatility, mobility, and firepower it currently has. It can win a face to face fight no problem with its LMG and shield, and it can lob RPGs down range at tanks. It has huge magazines. You can easily give it a medical applicator without losing much versatility. It has huge magazines, the best face-to-face combat capabilities, aside from AV mana turrets, the best ranged AV, and great survivability.

There needs to be a basic infantry class with a rifle, not the current heavy assault. I'm fine with it being a damage absorber, it can even have an LMG and an RPG, but it needs a hindrance. To have that much firepower, it should be moving slower. The LMG should be inaccurate and sluggish without being propped up (bi-podded, a feature we don't currently have) somewhere. The main infantry class should be a well rounded rifle soldier.

EDIT: Let it be known, this is not a direct "NERF! TOO OP!" Thread. I'm just saying it would be more logical for there to be a great vehicle killing class, a great infantry killing class, and a class with a little bit of both. I personally find HA to be all of it mashed into one. Please refrain from insolently tearing into me, I do not intend to offend.

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-03-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Thanks for your opinion Palerion! :E

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-03-20, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: LMGs and RPGs

heavy assault are the shock troops. We're the guys that carry the big caliber guns and explosives, yeah?

We do move slower. We can't easily jump over walls. We're not as agile or robust as a medic or engineer. I don't have the jetpacks of LA, either.

What more do you want to do to gimp us? make my accuracy shit unless my lmg is on a tri or bipod? the chaos of combat doesn't always allow for that kind of setup. I had to fight INSIDE the scu room in allatum last night, and i was getting rushed to hell and back every single time i tried to set up. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work like that.

Though, If I had a tripod setup with my LMG that reduced my COF and recoil drastically when magdumping, I'd go for it.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-03-20 at 04:02 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Palerion
Sergeant Major

I just don't understand placing an LMG and an RPG in the same package. And sturmhardt... What...?
Old 2013-03-20, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

The role of HA is to deal and receive damage against all types of enemy targets. They can't heal, they can't repair, they can only go where other infantry can go, and they can't deploy sensor darts. They have zero support ability, just damage output and longevity. Great for capturing bases or taking down targets, but a well-placed grenade or a few good headshots will basically drop them just the same as other infantry classes.

The reason why infantry go the same speed and have the same health and shields by default is for cohesion and simplification. If players go the same speed, they can stay together better. We don't have rangefinders, so it also makes it easier for sharpshooters to line up shot on distant targets. It also requires less art, as each class and each armor would have different art, and that could take a long time to design and finalize.

Presumably an Engineer carrying limitless ACE and nanite juice, medics carrying limitless healing nanite juice, Light Assault having a heavy steel backpack, and Infiltrators getting less mechanical lifting assistance from powered infantry armor so they must rely on personal strength to lug around gear, so Heavy Assault with a rocket launcher and shield generator isn't unreasonable. The power used to help carry gear is interrupted when shields are engaged, thus explaining the slowdown for HA with the shield on and no slowdown compared to other infantry with the shield off. Booyah.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
I just don't understand placing an LMG and an RPG in the same package. And sturmhardt... What...?
so what else would you have HA carry? a carbine like engineers and medics get?

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Palerion
Sergeant Major

There is such thing as an assault rifle. I mean, what if you want to be a powerful face-to-face pushing force without an LMG?? And I really didn't mean to open a can of worms and hostility, but I guess it happens...

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-03-20 at 04:10 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

I always felt like the Heavy would be much more suited with an assault rifle. SOE had some plans for this but thought otherwise later. It's also unfortunate that with the current state of LMGs, they are just ARs with huge magazines, and are far too accurate, outshining even some of the ARs.

I'd swap the medic and heavy with their main weapons. Or just allow Heavies to pick up ARs, I never understood the logic behind allowing only Medics to wield them
Old 2013-03-20, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

There is such thing as an assault rifle. I mean, what if you want to be a powerful face-to-face pushing force without an LMG?? And I really didn't mean to open a can of worms and hostility, but I guess it happens...
i actually dont mean to come off as hostile here, i guess im just more curious what exactly you're talking about. it isn't that clear what you're trying to explain or ask, to me, as an HA user.

i guess what im saying is, what alternatives do you see to the current combination of lmg/rockets that would fill the same role as a shock trooper?

Old 2013-03-20, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
DeltaGun
Sergeant

Not this thread again. LMGs are fine (trade DPS and accuracy for Magazine). People like LMGs (why play Heavy if LMGs were way worse than every weapon). Every class has their role (Before you say light assault, they are the vertical plane flanking class).
Old 2013-03-20, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
i actually dont mean to come off as hostile here, i guess im just more curious what exactly you're talking about. it isn't that clear what you're trying to explain or ask, to me, as an HA user.

i guess what im saying is, what alternatives do you see to the current combination of lmg/rockets that would fill the same role as a shock trooper?
Well, I suppose that all depends on your definition of "shock trooper". Shock trooper has been used to describe both light assault for its speed and heavy assault for its firepower.

My issue is that the heavy assault's combat role, if it is to be the frontline soldier, does not seem to fit in the same role as an LMG. LMGs generally suppress from a little ways back, and while I'm okay with being a bit diverse with weaponry, throwing an LMG around like an assault rifle doesn't feel right.

Again, I think Strumovik had a point in saying an assault rifle makes more sense. That is, if you only want one class in the game to have this frontline combat role. Needless to say I think LMGs are worse than ARs in terms of initial killing power (DPS). That is why their classes still slightly baffle me; the HA wins its battles through its TANKING abilities with its shield.

This leaves no place for someone who wants to be less of a tank and more of a straight damage dealer. My point is an LMG class should be suppressing from afar. The class that wins face to face fights should have the best face to face weapon.

P.S. This post spews lots of stuff, lots of ideas.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Well, I suppose that all depends on your definition of "shock trooper". Shock trooper has been used to describe both light assault for its speed and heavy assault for its firepower.

My issue is that the heavy assault's combat role, if it is to be the frontline soldier, does not seem to fit in the same role as an LMG. LMGs generally suppress from a little ways back, and while I'm okay with being a bit diverse with weaponry, throwing an LMG around like an assault rifle doesn't feel right.

Again, I think Strumovik had a point in saying an assault rifle makes more sense. That is, if you only want one class in the game to have this frontline combat role. Needless to say I think LMGs are worse than ARs in terms of initial killing power (DPS). That is why their classes still slightly baffle me; the HA wins its battles through its TANKING abilities with its shield.

This leaves no place for someone who wants to be less of a tank and more of a straight damage dealer. My point is an LMG class should be suppressing from afar. The class that wins face to face fights should have the best face to face weapon.

P.S. This post spews lots of stuff, lots of ideas.
As a guy who is more of a front like shocktrooper who also dies a lot, I don't use my EM1 for killing at close range, its for medium+ range. the close range gun people should use for front line fighting is the shotgun or the GD22, which I feel is closer to an AR than LMG save for its caliber. I think you just see a lot of people use the lmg at close range because of its large ammo clip. thing is though, its unweildy as fuck. its like using a hammer when you need a knife.

And yes btw, as murder says below me, if you want to give me an AR in addition to the rest of the stuff I have, be my guest. I welcome most additions to my arsenal.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-03-20 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
MurderBunneh
Private

Assault rifles in this game are better then Lmg in every way except magazine size.
If you want to give my HA an assault rifle I would welcome it.

Example: go to VR equip both the Reaper DMR and Saw with Adv grip and tell me which one is easier to use and drops targets quicker. Both drop targets the same rate at close and med range but the DMR will hit long range targets so accurately they almost melt.

Last edited by MurderBunneh; 2013-03-20 at 05:15 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MurderBunneh View Post
Assault rifles in this game are better then Lmg in every way except magazine size.
If you want to give my HA an assault rifle I would welcome it.

Example: go to VR equip both the Reaper DMR and Saw with Adv grip and tell me which one is easier to use and drops targets quicker. Both drop targets the same rate at close and med range but the DMR will hit long range targets so accurately they almost melt.

Imo you want to whine about HA but do not to want to be chastised for coming right out and doing it. If that is not the case then make some kind of point about all this.
You're right, I didn't plan on being chastised. It's an aesthetic flaw in my opinion to have one class seemingly overloaded with so much shit.

But since users like you plan to be absolute assholes in response, I suppose it's not worth even discussing. If anything when I post things like this I'm willing to accept explanations as to why the current system makes sense, but instead you find it necessary to, in your own words, "chastise" me.

I don't see frontline soldiers using an "unwieldy" weapon with 100 round mags and holding a heavy anti-vehicle weapon. THAT is my point.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MurderBunneh
Private

You're right, I didn't plan on being chastised. It's an aesthetic flaw in my opinion to have one class seemingly overloaded with so much shit.

But since users like you plan to be absolute assholes in response, I suppose it's not worth even discussing. If anything when I post things like this I'm willing to accept explanations as to why the current system makes sense, but instead you find it necessary to, in your own words, "chastise" me.

I don't see frontline soldiers using an "unwieldy" weapon with 100 round mags and holding a heavy anti-vehicle weapon. THAT is my point.
I edited my post but I guess not quick enough...
As I thought though you where just waiting to pounce with your little temper.
Just go back and edit the thread title to "WAAA HA got too many good stuffs they kill me and it's not fair".

Were your hands shaking when you typed that response?

Last edited by MurderBunneh; 2013-03-20 at 05:34 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion