SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where playing Dungeons and Dragons isn't frowned upon.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You didn't really track "NewSith-super pretendo" argument, did you?
No idea who you are or what that means. Sorry
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-08-12, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by FortySe7en View Post
No idea who you are or what that means. Sorry
In other words:

Are you sure you are arguing with a person that doesn't think the same way you do?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

In other words:

Are you sure you are arguing with a person that doesn't think the same way you do?
If I thought you thought the same way, I obviously wouldn't have posted my opinion on the matter. The fact is, whether you call it competitive or an e-sport it will be received the same way.

It all comes down to haters gonna hate because they aren't a part of the "movement" if you will. E-sports is great for the community, and I hope PS2 could pull it off. SOE could use that kind of following.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
Hydra
Sergeant

Lol Esports.
Esports doesn't belong in a game like Planetside, but whatever it has zero affect on me.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

The fact is, whether you call it competitive or an e-sport it will be received the same way.
eSport is competitive play, first and foremost. Broadcasts, money, prises and twitchskill wankership come second.
-----------------------------------------------------------

It all comes down to haters gonna hate because they aren't a part of the "movement" if you will. E-sports is great for the community, and I hope PS2 could pull it off. SOE could use that kind of following.
...from my experience it's that people are afraid of players doing only the competitive thing, whilst claiming that they are the best (while not playing the mainstream, "public" game, in which they will obviously suck balls according to first players' logic), what a psyhologist can describe as hidden jealousy. I saw plenty of that when we hit "the best" mark in EU Global Agenda AvA.
EDIT: What I was saying in the post you quoted referred to a different matter.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-08-12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

My point is more that PS2 just isn't built for arena play. Sure, they're doing the best job they can at getting the tightest gunplay mechanics they can... but they'll NEVER be as good for 5v5 arena combat as a game DESIGNED primarily just for that.

200v200 would actually be something PS2 could offer as an "arena" (granted arena 40x larger, with 40x as many players) for eSport gameplay. However again I still have my doubts. While the concept and potential successful execution could be something awesome and unique, the logistics of coordinating 400 players from 2 different outfits is jaw dropping. We tried to get 12v12 matches in BF3 and most clans would only do 8v8 cause it was easier to actually field your guys at match time. Maybe PS2 can do it, but you're going to need 200 bench warmers per side to pull it off. The other issue is that with the other eSports, the small teams lends itself to a HUGE pool of players, of which the top 10 stand above the rest.... it'll be hard to even get 10 teams that can field proper PS2 battles.

Finally, as I noted, those players and their accomplishments would be better served ON THE SERVER where the victory or loss actually matters to their respective war. If I see the other 2 factions are in a grudge match... guess what, it's time to go start grabbing up territory guys cause their best outfits are having a slug fest.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
shamE
Private

No, from my experience it's that people are afraid of players doing only the competitive thing, whilst claiming that they are the best (while not playing the mainstream, "public" game, in which they will obviously suck balls according to first players' logic), what a psyhologist can describe as hidden jealousy. I saw plenty of that when we hit "the best" mark in EU Global Agenda AvA.
AvA and global agenda were terrible games, just because something happens in one game doesn't mean it will happen in another. Its the communities attitude and planetside's community is actually a really good one unlike most other games. If anything competition would exponentially increase the games popularity and would be really good for not only the game but also the community as well so long as the veterans of planetside 1 quit being so narrow minded. If it does happen it wont effect the normal gameplay and people wont just do competition that not how it works.

Just keep a open mind about it. I trust SOE will make it to where it doesn't interfere with the normal servers and that it will have a very positive effect on the game and its community.

Last edited by shamE; 2012-08-12 at 07:00 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

I think it'd be MORE interesting to broadcast when these outfits clash on the live battlefield. It will be inevitable over time as outfits make names for themselves, and the territories grow and outfits lay their stakes, and enemy outfits near them will end up clashing with each other.

THAT'S what I think would make for an interesting broadcast.
Old 2012-08-12, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
Oranos
Private

I think the problem here Smedley is that you are using the word eSports.

ESports implies a kind of professionalism, casters in suits, pretty girls interviewing people that know nothing about the game, IGN, 10 minutes of adverts between games and big money rewards with sponsorship deals.

Now you tell someone in the FGC that Fighting Games are an eSport and they will rip your head off, they're very different things. Are SC2 and Fighting Games both serious competition? Yes, but one is eSports, the other is not.

If you just mean you want people to stream competitively then that's great, or do you really mean to go full eSports like SC2?
Old 2012-08-12, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
Now you tell someone in the FGC that Fighting Games are an eSport and they will rip your head off, they're very different things. Are SC2 and Fighting Games both serious competition? Yes, but one is eSports, the other is not.
WHAT?!!?!?!

The most common video game genres associated with electronic sports are real-time strategy (RTS), fighting, first-person shooter (FPS), massively-multiplayer online (MMOG), and racing.

The only reason a person wouldn't consider fighting games an e-sports (crazies) is because they don't have the following of games like sc2. This doesn't mean its not an e-sport.

You guys are thinking way to much into this. E-sports are games that can be played competitively. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can challenge people online head to head in a competitive mode, you can be in the electronic sports world.

Last edited by FortySe7en; 2012-08-12 at 07:32 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
Alanim
Private

I could see the esport scene working pretty good for planetside2, bare with me now as I explain the scenario.

500x500, 5000 respawns each. possibly 500x500x500 5000 respawns each.

LARGE map, say half or a quarter of the current maps, maybe even just bordered off areas.

30 bases, capture points give both resources AND respawns, say 1 respawn per minute, per base. With such a low amount given per minute it gives you a advantage to have more, but not something that makes you invincible.

To win you either need to make the opponent lose all their respawns OR push them all the way back to their base.

And instead of watching a single player, you would be watching a squad or perhaps a platoon, lock onto a squad and you can change only between the players in a squad.

The competition wouldn't be all about the performance of a single or couple of players, it'd be about the effectiveness of the entire outfit. you'd even be able to do percentages on their strengths, as a total outfit, meaning they might be REALLY effective tank/aircraft users, but might only be average at ground assault.

It would be more like football, where you have to exploit your enemies weakness, while not succumbing to your own weakness. and instead of a individual player having all the fame and glory, it might be shifted to squads/platoons, because a single man can't insure a victory all by himself in this type of game.

Or atleast that's how I envision it.
Old 2012-08-12, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
Ruxios
Private

after reading this entire thread i must say that "esports" being used to describe this is just a wrong term and is causing people to freak out a little bit now if we had a server stored 3d video of the entire battlefield that you could go thru and comment on at a little date that would be much better imo
Old 2012-08-12, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Alanim View Post
I could see the esport scene working pretty good for planetside2, bare with me now as I explain the scenario.

500x500, 5000 respawns each. possibly 500x500x500 5000 respawns each.

LARGE map, say half or a quarter of the current maps, maybe even just bordered off areas.

30 bases, capture points give both resources AND respawns, say 1 respawn per minute, per base. With such a low amount given per minute it gives you a advantage to have more, but not something that makes you invincible.

To win you either need to make the opponent lose all their respawns OR push them all the way back to their base.

And instead of watching a single player, you would be watching a squad or perhaps a platoon, lock onto a squad and you can change only between the players in a squad.

The competition wouldn't be all about the performance of a single or couple of players, it'd be about the effectiveness of the entire outfit. you'd even be able to do percentages on their strengths, as a total outfit, meaning they might be REALLY effective tank/aircraft users, but might only be average at ground assault.

It would be more like football, where you have to exploit your enemies weakness, while not succumbing to your own weakness. and instead of a individual player having all the fame and glory, it might be shifted to squads/platoons, because a single man can't insure a victory all by himself in this type of game.

Or atleast that's how I envision it.
A limited respawn 500 vs 500 organized war is exactly what I always envisioned for competitive combat....
Old 2012-08-12, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #194
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

You guys are thinking WAY to big here.

The only way this would be successful if it was platoon on platoon. 48v48. 500 v 500 would be stupid to watch, let alone try and cast.
Old 2012-08-12, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

You guys are thinking WAY to big here.

The only way this would be successful if it was platoon on platoon. 48v48. 500 v 500 would be stupid to watch, let alone try and cast.
even 48v48 is going to be hard to organize ... and breaching the, too small to play to PS2's strength, border
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion