Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey! get away from my coffin!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-27, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
SgtMAD
Captain

Re: Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide

you ppl are delusional,soe isn't going to spend one cent on any dev time to create a cash shop or anything else, the code in that game is so messed up from all the patches and bugs that have been accumulating for damn near a decade now,hell they won't even fix the core combat issues and we all PAID for that expansion years ago.

there are 100 ppl on this afternoon and that's about the average since they opened up the game and that's not even close to enough interest to keep the game alive after the 6 months is up.

I loved the game and was subbed for damn near the whole decade but to keep thinking that SOE is going to spend any time or money on a dead game is foolish
Old 2013-05-27, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SgtMAD View Post
you ppl are delusional,soe isn't going to spend one cent on any dev time to create a cash shop or anything else, the code in that game is so messed up from all the patches and bugs that have been accumulating for damn near a decade now,hell they won't even fix the core combat issues and we all PAID for that expansion years ago.

there are 100 ppl on this afternoon and that's about the average since they opened up the game and that's not even close to enough interest to keep the game alive after the 6 months is up.

I loved the game and was subbed for damn near the whole decade but to keep thinking that SOE is going to spend any time or money on a dead game is foolish
Then why haven't they pulled the plug yet? PS1, at times, had less players than what was left of The Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies, yet SOE pulled the plug on those games without hesitation.

Like EQ, they can't let the first game die, it reflects bad on the second one.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The difference is PlanetSide doesn't cost them a dime to keep around. MxO and SWG cost a small fortune in licensing.

Old 2013-05-27, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
The difference is PlanetSide doesn't cost them a dime to keep around. MxO and SWG cost a small fortune in licensing.
That's also true. SOE is basically only paying for a single server located near their headquarters, and they've admitted several times it costs them almost nothing to run, so they have no reason not to slightly monetize it and make it free, they'd make more that way than leaving the game dead at $15 a month.
Old 2013-05-28, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
...so they have no reason not to slightly monetize it and make it free, they'd make more that way than leaving the game dead at $15 a month.
Well, there's always spite.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-28, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
That's also true. SOE is basically only paying for a single server located near their headquarters, and they've admitted several times it costs them almost nothing to run, so they have no reason not to slightly monetize it and make it free, they'd make more that way than leaving the game dead at $15 a month.
Just that monetyzing it would propabbly cost more than the end result could ever generate.
Old 2013-05-28, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Just that monetyzing it would propabbly cost more than the end result could ever generate.
Don't they already have all the GM commands to give things away? And all the cosmetic items they had for holidays. I'd gladly pay for a christmas hat or a katana sword if I didn't already have one. Can't see that taking too much dev time to throw everything they already have assets for into a cash shop. Maybe things like experience boosts would take more though.
Old 2013-05-28, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
You assume that:

1. SOE needs to create new content to monetize the game
2. Players want SOE to create new content to monetize the game

The first one is false, SOE doesn't have to create a single new thing to monetize, they may have to patch bugs up that were created in the process, but no new content is needed.

The second one is untrue for the vast majority of people.
Old 2013-05-28, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Shogun
Contributor
General

we already have rl ads in planetsides gameworld.

right now they are only advertising planetside 1, but with the soe logo and the legal stuff included in the ad.
so changing these planetside ads to some other ads that actually generate money might be enough to cover the costs of hosting the game. it´s just one lowtech server.
and if not, they have charged for continued developement for years without providing any developement.so they have used the money for other games. time to show some fanservice and use some other games income to keep planetside alive in return.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-30, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
zeropositivo
Private

I'm not an old time PS1 veteran, you know by now I got only into the game one or so week before the anniversary. Right now, I absolutely LOVE the game. Is it better than PS2? At the moment, hell yes!

But was PS1 like this at launch? I don't think so. I still think that PS2 has even more potential to grow than the first one. The more enjoyable phisic system, the more rewarding gunplay, paired with the pwetty looking engine (that does count too! People that simply handwave graphics as not important are not really in contact with reality. Those DO count) and the more interesting continent design, those are macro elements that require the most work to improve. Luckily, they are all pretty awesome already

The other elements, like battle flow, balance, new features, interior design... those are all things that can be improved upon in short tidbits

Honestly, after playing PS1 and loving it, this makes me all the more excited about the second. I can see now where we could be in a year or two!

*now, if we could have the beta nights back, the hacking of vehicles, jamming grenades and stalker cloak, I'd be a happy happy infiltrator. That's the biggest reason I keep playing the first one: that infiltration stuff is so cool and powerful. Oh, and ANT runs, please*
Old 2013-05-30, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by zeropositivo View Post
But was PS1 like this at launch? I don't think so. I still think that PS2 has even more potential to grow than the first one. The more enjoyable phisic system, the more rewarding gunplay, paired with the pwetty looking engine (that does count too! People that simply handwave graphics as not important are not really in contact with reality. Those DO count) and the more interesting continent design, those are macro elements that require the most work to improve. Luckily, they are all pretty awesome already
ps1 changed a bit from release to now, but only a little. most of the things added after launch are disabled right now.
there were some improvements like the loadstar, that wasn´t in on launch, and the platoon system. at launch it was only one squad, and the platoon was added later.
also the advanced hacker and battle engineer cert trees were not complete at launch, but that´s it.
the game was more than 90% completed, while ps2 launched at around 10% and has come to about 15% in the first 6 months.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-30, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

It doesn't matter how much new content is added to PS2 or how polished the game gets, the philosophy of the game is different.

Without making one sound better than the other, PS2 is a fast-paced game dedicated to a wide, casual audience. PS1 is a slower-paced game dedicated to a more hardcore group.

10 years from now, PS2 TTK will be the same as well as the general philosophy of the game, that is why PS1 needs to be advertised, to provide that niche that PS2 doesn't.
Old 2013-05-31, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Furber
First Sergeant

The future of this game will likely drop off in the next few weeks if there's not any sort of Official Announcement, or Emails sent out to PS1 vets. There are far too few vets in the game, word of mouth only has so much reach. We need to urge Smedley, or even Hamma, to send emails to raise awareness before the numbers dwindle too low. The past week and a half of Planetside 1 has been incredible, but we vets know the game is so much better just with more population.
Old 2013-05-31, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Skittles
Sergeant

I appreciate the passion some of you have for this game, but I do believe you are living in fantasy world if you think SOE is going to do anything for this game anymore.

Its been 8yrs or so since they've done anything with it. For months and months leading upto the release of PS2 they bad mouthed, hinted, blantantly came right out and said they hate Planetside and here you are hoping that they're going to do more then do a quiet 6 month free time without emails or anything else for notifications.

Its too much for them to even dedicate 2-5hrs of an interns job to send out email notifications that they're even giving out free time. Face the facts, Smed/Higby and the whole of SOE want Planetside to simply fade away. I dont know why. They probably couldnt even tell you why. Its something they probably couldnt even put their finger on. Its like to them bad music that you think is good or something. Its like trying to explain Mozart or Bach to someone that listens to Miley Cyrus. Your energy would be better spent elsewhere.

But, hey. More power to ya. I wish you the best of luck. Just realize you're up against 2 people that are on train tracks going only one direction regardless of what lays ahead.
Old 2013-05-31, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

They just need to sell us the engine and source code.

Now i don't know the reasons behind it, but the game still is there despite ~2 years of literally empty servers. So naturally i suspect they have something on their mind for its future. Else they could have shut it down a year ago, taken the shitstorm and move on.

I mean they can't be that clueless about their own business plans, right? right?...

I will wait untill they come up with their plan. If it really is their plan to let these 6 months pass without really notifying people about the free time and the free time being restricted to ps1/ps2 players, only to say at the end "see, still only ~100 people on - we now shut it down" i can start to rage then.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion