SmedBlog (last year): NPC Enemies and Armies - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop rejecting me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: NPC Enemies and Armies

Originally Posted by Celfoid View Post
I dunno, not really sure if its a good idea, just throwing it out there. But I wouldn't want consistent NPCs in PS2. The only AI I'd want to see everyday is that from turrets n' whatnot. :P Like in PS
I agree. I really don't want the alien invasion thing to be a staple of PS2... more just a side diversion very very rarely. And I really REALLY don't want combat bots/creeps DOTA style.

Automated base defenses and potentially deployable turrets should be the limit.

oh, and if harvesters are implemented... cause who wants to drive that?

So NPC harvest/supply convoys could potentially be added...

and maybe that AI could be player modified... maybe...

but I don't think that's really a big want feature.

Having raidable resource / supply units could add more to the game's tactical options.

Programming AI just seems like it might get ridiculous....
Old 2012-08-11, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I would love to see a fourth NPC faction and the ability to have NPCs to supplement your faction's numbers.
Old 2012-08-11, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Partack
Private

@ smedley :

Oo..

well, i was all like,

D: when you were talkign about PVe stuff.. and i was like, no no no.

But then you said player- scripted AI and i was all..

'.... maybe o.0? '
Old 2012-08-11, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Kerafyrm
Private

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
I could see some starship troopers-esque metoer bug alien attacks that happen a couple times a year, and lasts for 24-48 hours (3-8 in game days).
I am liking the whole alien invasion idea but I do agree with others they should be pretty rare events. But like the quote above the events should be 24-48 hours long and maybe not even 48 hour that's probably to long for most people. I'm not sure about the whole bug concept i'd like a event like this to be rare and epic....something you would remember.

But in the end we own them and they go back to where they came from.
Old 2012-08-11, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kerafyrm View Post
I am liking the whole alien invasion idea but I do agree with others they should be pretty rare events. But like the quote above the events should be 24-48 hours long and maybe not even 48 hour that's probably to long for most people. I'm not sure about the whole bug concept i'd like a event like this to be rare and epic....something you would remember.

But in the end we own them and they go back to where they came from.
It wouldn't be 48 hours straight...

there'd be 8 hour (in game) cycles during 48 hours (real time) in which they'd strike.... the cycles spread over the continents (matching their disparity in time of day).

And you could personally avoid it all together by simply avoiding whichever continent(s) is(are) in the path of the meteor storm at the moment.

OR you could jump from continent to continent as it moves to take advantage of ever hour of this rare event.
Old 2012-08-11, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
I didn't go into much detail in my blog post. There are 2 separate ideas here. One is simple - Alien NPCs (the original Planetside design called them Shifters). They are superpowerful aliens that come in and attack everyone. There are a lot of special things about them I don't want to reveal right now but the idea is more the Alien Queen and not Zergs. So there wouldn't be thousands of them. But they would be nasty as hell.

The second idea is this. What if we had certain captureable buildings that when combined with a steady flow of resources the players had to pour in would result in waves of "creeps" ala LoL or DOTA that would go towards premade points in the world. So to attack a particular base one tactic would be to capture a nearby base.. capture the spawning facility and that would result in the NPC wave (again not thousands) moving towards a specific targeted base to attack.

One other key point about them I didn't mention - they would have buildable AI that players could actually make through a scripting language. (forgot this part too) - Also you would be able to sell that AI to other players if you were an AI designer. Think Robot Wars or cRobots.

These are just ideas. I enjoy the feedback.

Thanks

Smed
At first I was thinking of wildlife that you can chase and kill for xp, like a safari....but if NPC's must be in the game, I rather have the invasion option. The other two options.....doesnt add anything "epic". It would be epic to look up and see an independence day sized alien space craft that wrecks everyone.

But TBH....I'd rather have no NPC's at all....the wildlife is ok though. You shoot it and it runs away. If you chase it and kill it, you get xp. You shoot it so it will get out of your way....and continue to your base assault.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Rarntogo
Corporal

I love PS1 and 2 because they are PVP. However... I played COH/COV and fighting a big nasty monster like Hamidon raids, Statesman raids were big fun. Killing these beasts could take hours. Fighting the occasional drop in bad guy as a group sounds like fun to me. I can see everyone piling onto one continent where this beast is trying to get the killshot on it. To some extent COV did have programmable AI but I'm not sure to the same extent we're talking about here.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

if its confirmed I'm not playing Planetside 2
Old 2012-08-11, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
termhn
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
I didn't go into much detail in my blog post. There are 2 separate ideas here. One is simple - Alien NPCs (the original Planetside design called them Shifters). They are superpowerful aliens that come in and attack everyone. There are a lot of special things about them I don't want to reveal right now but the idea is more the Alien Queen and not Zergs. So there wouldn't be thousands of them. But they would be nasty as hell.

The second idea is this. What if we had certain captureable buildings that when combined with a steady flow of resources the players had to pour in would result in waves of "creeps" ala LoL or DOTA that would go towards premade points in the world. So to attack a particular base one tactic would be to capture a nearby base.. capture the spawning facility and that would result in the NPC wave (again not thousands) moving towards a specific targeted base to attack.

One other key point about them I didn't mention - they would have buildable AI that players could actually make through a scripting language. (forgot this part too) - Also you would be able to sell that AI to other players if you were an AI designer. Think Robot Wars or cRobots.

These are just ideas. I enjoy the feedback.

Thanks

Smed
YES a use for my programming prowess in a game Sounds AWESOME!

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
I love PS1 and 2 because they are PVP. However... I played COH/COV and fighting a big nasty monster like Hamidon raids, Statesman raids were big fun. Killing these beasts could take hours. Fighting the occasional drop in bad guy as a group sounds like fun to me. I can see everyone piling onto one continent where this beast is trying to get the killshot on it. To some extent COV did have programmable AI but I'm not sure to the same extent we're talking about here.
this is planetside not AION. If you want this you should write richard garriott and tell him to make a new tabula rasa
Old 2012-08-11, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
noxious
Second Lieutenant

The fact that they're even thinking about adding PvE is seriously disturbing.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Halon
Private

An NPC alien faction could be interesting down the road. However I'm not sure about the empire vs empire DOTA style siege mechanic. I don't think having NPC allies stays true to the spirit of Planetside.

I think taking a continent and having an alien invasion event where all the empires have to join together and fight invaders could be fun. Grief system included. Say each empire starts from their warpgate and has to make their way to the alien hive/ship/base to plant explosives and blow it sky high, clearing bases and taking territory as they go.

Or for a mini event have each empires warpgate/nearest base get invaded.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Rarntogo
Corporal

Dont worry, Be Happy

Last edited by Rarntogo; 2012-08-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

Old 2012-08-11, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Tzitzimitl
Private

Just to reiterate what people are saying. Yes to an alien invasion and no to the two other ideas smedly brought up. Now the alien should be something that is rare, perhaps occuring once a month. Although to be honest having it occur once a month for me seems to frequent. Also the length of it should not be 48hours real time but 2 game days is a bit more acceptable
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion