The darkness - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Soon to be a major religion
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-10, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: The darkness

Originally Posted by Knightwyvern View Post
Considering that those are ridiculously simple solutions and I'm relatively sure CutterJohn isn't a Hamster.. I think that there is a good reason why he plays games this way.
Backlit screens in darkness give me a headache. And during the day, well.. I can try to turn the sun off, but.. I don't think it will work.

And, from a personal perspective.. 'I can't see' is not compelling gameplay. It just means I can't see. Also the trifling fact that night vision is ubiquitous in many armies today. It seems.. odd.. that somehow the capability is lost in the future.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-06-10 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think night play will be among the most awesome things in PlanetSide 2.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-10, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
xcel
Corporal

I don't like it that much. I would prefer to see my enemies. When beta comes I might change my opinion. I definitely hate it when it comes to watching other people play though.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

hmmm I always thought the Amp station looked like a big night club. I was ready to throw on my bell bottom pants and my hightops to go disco all night long on the top of the amp station. :P
Old 2012-06-10, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Backlit screens in darkness give me a headache. And during the day, well.. I can try to turn the sun off, but.. I don't think it will work.

And, from a personal perspective.. 'I can't see' is not compelling gameplay. It just means I can't see. Also the trifling fact that night vision is ubiquitous in many armies today. It seems.. odd.. that somehow the capability is lost in the future.
Having to adapt the way you play to fit the game's ever-changing environments is, in my book, quite compelling.

If I can use the night's darkness to leverage a real advantage against other players then I'm all for it.

Each to his own, though.

Roll on beta.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
laelgon
Corporal

I think night time combat is going to be amazing. The weapon effects look better during the night than day in my opinion. My only worry is that my computer won't be able to handle it. Just hope that the developers are going to go crazy over optimization and make sure we have enough control over settings to make it playable on most systems without giving advantage to turning off certain settings.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Synapse
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rhophi View Post
I think anyone who tries to increase the gamma will be seriously screwed over by someone who runs at them with a flashlight, so i don't really see any advantage that could be had.
Except using the flashlight would give you away to anyone not putting their gamma up.

Better that the devs just fix it.

I will add this to my thread of beta test items.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42316
Old 2012-06-11, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Haro
Master Sergeant

I dunno, I kinda like the darker interiors. Firstly, it's one of the few places I see flashlights being useful without being sniper-bait, but it also just looked so cool, with dim glows of banners and computer terminals. Maybe if they incorporate generators, generator damage can put lights on emergency settings?

Other than that, night fighting looks amazing. Very few games have ever done darkness remotely well, and I think it's going to be one of the many things that just makes PS2 stand out all the more.

Lots of exciting possibilities with night fighting. I think taking on a base stealthily at night, with black armor, snipers, and Light Assault scaling battlements is just going to be BAD ASS.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
I dunno, I kinda like the darker interiors. Firstly, it's one of the few places I see flashlights being useful without being sniper-bait, but it also just looked so cool, with dim glows of banners and computer terminals. Maybe if they incorporate generators, generator damage can put lights on emergency settings?
I fully expect this with fully lit interiors... the more stuff you can attach to generators the better (multiple generators).
Old 2012-06-11, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
SztEltviz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
Not to go all science-babble on everyone, and I am in no way a scientist, but shouldn't a moon that size reflect a lot of ambient light on to the planet?
Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Could be that the surface isn't made up of the same stuff our moon is made up of, could be a much less reflective substance or something.

I am le brainstorming hurr
Wiki (Moonlight): The Moon's albedo is 0.136,[3] meaning only 13.6% of sunlight incident on the Moon is reflected.
(Moon) It is the brightest object in the sky after the Sun, although its surface is actually very dark, with a similar reflectance to coal.
Old 2012-06-11, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Bags
Lieutenant General

I love it.
Old 2012-06-11, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
JoeDragon
Sergeant

I plan on specializing myself as an anti-air ground based unit. (Utilizing ground to air weapons etc.) Nighttime will be the best time for doing this I assume due to being much harder to spot from the air. I personally can't wait to light up the night with my fireworks.
Old 2012-06-11, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Haha, I am looking forward to night fights like crazy! Any reason to invest in night vision and anything else is perfect haha. Though, I wonder if they'll have some kind of "radar" sensing that allows you to "see" when you're flying an aircraft or driving a tank so you don't have to use night vision in them.

As far as the people who will increase their gamma? Woe be unto them when they get to the first huge explosive battle :P All those bright lights are gonna take up the entire screen for a long time haha.

And even the Earth reflects a large part of sunlight onto the moon, I think that it should be said that with the various moons floating around this planet, typically the night would be at least as bright as earth on a moonlit night, possibly more and possibly less, depending on the position of the Sun :P
Old 2012-06-11, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Jikkan
Private

I love the variety of gameplay a full day/night cycle provides and I welcome the different tactics and adjustments that will most likely have to be adopted because of it.

Turning your gamma up or adjusting your screen should not allow you to bypass the design decision of having a full day/night cycle. I hope they are able to prevent that from happening.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by SztEltviz View Post
Wiki (Moonlight): The Moon's albedo is 0.136,[3] meaning only 13.6% of sunlight incident on the Moon is reflected.
(Moon) It is the brightest object in the sky after the Sun, although its surface is actually very dark, with a similar reflectance to coal.
There are several moons orbiting Auraxis, and Higby has said that some nights will be darker than others depending on how many moons are "up". Night fighting will be awesome!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion