Possible upcoming changes to Spawn Rules - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens at PSU, ends up on Google.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-07-11, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Possible upcoming changes to Spawn Rules

As listed in the roadmap, one important part of the mission system is to have a reinforcement request mission, which would only be able to be created when a faction is reasonably outnumbered and would only last until the fight is close to even. In that way it is used as a player-driven flow balancing mechanic and not as a zerg escalation mechanic. The idea behind this mission type is that it would replace the current reinforcements needed on the deployment menu. The other aspect to that is that you would have to be in the region in order to make the request, so you have some assurances that anyone who responds is not alone. The trick is preventing overwhelming response, which might be achieved by throttling the spawns.
Old 2013-07-11, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
phungus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The trick is preventing overwhelming response, which might be achieved by throttling the spawns.
I have done alot of thinking on spawning, and what I would to if I made a game (I really need to actually just figure out how to compile and start building something from the torque engine, my damn laziness and procrastination has always ruined my life, but that's another topic).

Throttling spawns is the answer I came up with and theorized about. The player should have feedom to deploy to bases they see they can help at, but having a dynamic timer would give you guys, the designers, the ability to control spawn rates and really shape border battles.
Old 2013-07-11, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by phungus View Post
I have done alot of thinking on spawning, and what I would to if I made a game (I really need to actually just figure out how to compile and start building something from the torque engine, my damn laziness and procrastination has always ruined my life, but that's another topic).

Throttling spawns is the answer I came up with and theorized about. The player should have feedom to deploy to bases they see they can help at, but having a dynamic timer would give you guys, the designers, the ability to control spawn rates and really shape border battles.
WWII Online tried that with spawn timers for the force that greatly outnumbered the other. It just provided a lot of frustrations and didn't solve much. During a huge battle numbers on the field would stabilize but along the less populated fronts where the outnumbered side wasn't engaged in heavy fighting, they would be able to easily overrun the smaller amount of defenders.

It was always an issue.
Old 2013-07-11, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The trick is preventing overwhelming response, which might be achieved by throttling the spawns.
I really don't like this. There is nothing that kills an outfit Op like half the platoon getting into a continent and the other half being stuck in queue. Throttling spawns may do the same thing here.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion