Scale of Map compared - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Welcome to PSU. Don't feed the Admins.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-07, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Scale of Map compared

It's more like 8-10%, but yes, agree with Malorn it's not as big as some make it seem. I'm still suspecting it to be approximately Ishundar or Cyssor size, just more densily populated and considering they increase the playable area, that'd be fine.

If only those sanctuaries were possible to turn into neutral Warpgates. The feasibly attackable area (that doesn't default to an empire) will be even smaller than Malorn suggests.

I'd say 33-50% of the map is really contestable with even pops. I wish it was possible to kick empires off, but yeah.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Visually Indar seems smaller then most of the original maps, but on the other hand, PS2 is going to have action all around it, not just across the lattice.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Even if the maps were the same size, there is more area on a PS2 map that is interesting to play in, so in that way it is better.

Also realize that the aircraft are faster in PS2.

Last edited by SniperSteve; 2012-06-07 at 06:52 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Revanmug
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
things and things
Hey man, I fixed that picture for you. No, don't thank me. I like helping and making sure both side have fair arguments

See that vanu purple circle? That's the actual area where you see action on E3. Why am I precising this? Because right now, nobody is fighting around the base because there is absolutly no reason too. You spawn, get a vehicule and crash/bail in the middle.

That still look bigger than 2% but lol at your 20% map...

Still, wouldn't refuse bigger maps.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
PS1 released with 8x8 and 4x4 conts. I can dig that video up but trust me. It was from E3 2002 or 2003. Cyssor, Ishundar, Searhus and Esamir were the 8x8's so Indar is roughly equivalent to either of those. SOI's in PS1 were roughly 400m in diameter. Bases about 100 meters squared. You guys can extrapolate and overlay whatever you want from there.

I just did the math too, the grids in PS1 are 400m squared. Cyssor is 19 to 20 grids squared. SOI its roughly into a grid. Now you guys have fun with the rest.
That actually compares quite well to the "19 amp stations" metric from above.

So roughly we have Ishundar, Cyssor, and Esamir releasing for PS2, with ten times the population in each and all 3 empires represented.

I can certainly see that will be chaotic, but the staleness of the battles and the lack of perceived strategic options is a bit disappointing.

But that might be alleviated as they release more continents. Can't boil the ocean in one day.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sifer2
Major

Yeah the biggest problem is the foothold system. A lot of us don't like it to begin with. But I especially don't like it when I see how much of the playable area they consume. Plus they make fighting over territory near them seem pointless as its unlikely you will control it for very long. So yeah I agree with Malorn the majority of the time its going to be fighting somewhere in the triangle in the middle which cuts out almost half the continent.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Revanmug View Post
Hey man, I fixed that picture for you. No, don't thank me. I like helping and making sure both side have fair arguments

See that vanu purple circle? That's the actual area where you see action on E3. Why am I precising this? Because right now, nobody is fighting around the base because there is absolutly no reason too. You spawn, get a vehicule and crash/bail in the middle.

That still look bigger than 2% but lol at your 20% map...

Still, wouldn't refuse bigger maps.
Congratulations, you managed to find the central structure in the amp station - but that isn't the demo area. I captured the demo area quite accurately. The central amp station you circled is just the center structure, which isn't actually all that big, so thanks for showing how you can see that small part of the demo area from orbit and put it into perspective.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This is a good establishment that the size of Indar is actually roughly the size of Searhus, when you factor in the shape and the 3 footholds.

This thread has produced some valuable data. I am pleased with the results as the mystery appears to be solved.

Unfortunately it doesn't make it seem any bigger. Lot of wasted space in the indar map configuration.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think one thing we're missing. It seems like a person is smaller in PS2, compared to PS1. Not just in relation to bases but the whole map.

Like someone said, PS1 dudes were like 3m tall. I'm not worried about continent size.

The only thing that I've really though about is that it'd be kind of odd to have nothing but 8x8 maps filled out to the edges. 6x10 or something that's irregular. Io mix it up.

Honestly, I like having all the hexes be important...but I'd also like to see places that are relatively less dense.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Revanmug
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Congratulations, you managed to find the central structure in the amp station - but that isn't the demo area. I captured the demo area quite accurately. The central amp station you circled is just the center structure, which isn't actually all that big, so thanks for showing how you can see that small part of the demo area from orbit and put it into perspective.
Thank you thank you. I'm glad that you also have very little reading comprehension since I said that the central area of the demo is the only place where you see action/footage for various reasons that you don't seem to care about!

Again, The map seems smaller mostly because there is no reason to fight elsewhere than inside the amp station. Why? everybody spawn next to it and there is nothing to cap/fight for.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Quite a bit of Indar appears unusable? Was someone perhaps doing the math on the usable part and came up with the higher number?
Nope. I did a hex-count on one of the map views from a video that showed the map (the Josh Hackney interview where he showed off the iPad app). I got 339 hexes total space colored one of the 3 empire colors.

Given that the facility they've used in the E3 floor demo was, I believe, 7 hexes, this yields a 2.03% figure of the playable landmass represented in the 7 hex area that the Amp Station controls.

Granted, the 64 square kilometers may represent that the map as a shown is 8km x 8km, and thus there's some "wasted" unplayable space represented in that figure... But Higby's being dead accurate with his 2% of the continent figure, and not misleading at all. That's one-fiftieth of the PLAYABLE space we've been shown.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
JacksonFatBack
Private

The new maps may be larger, but it looks like their player density is less. Recall that they will also be holding 5x as many players.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the majority of space on PS1 contents was seldom utilized.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Hamma
PSU Admin

Once you actually jump into the game and start running around you will understand the scale of the game. You can toss numbers around all day but nothing beats the actual experience.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Revanmug View Post
Thank you thank you. I'm glad that you also have very little reading comprehension since I said that the central area of the demo is the only place where you see action/footage for various reasons that you don't seem to care about!

Again, The map seems smaller mostly because there is no reason to fight elsewhere than inside the amp station. Why? everybody spawn next to it and there is nothing to cap/fight for.
Yes, just like how much of the map won't have a lot of fighting on it and most of it will be in the central area between the three warpgates, which is to be expected.

They also simplified that amp station for the demo. There were 6-7 capture points on it in previous screenshots. They likely disabled a few of them so it wasn't so overwhelming for the new players. 3 is easier to manage and helps funnel the fighting to make for a more compelling staged combat area.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Malorn, how did you come by the placement of your boundaries in the square you claim is the demo area? It's larger than I would have eyed it, judging from where we saw spawn points and corpse-indicators on the respawn maps.

Also, who says it was a square?

In any event, I did the counting to back up Higby's 2% math. So unless Higby just meant "the facility they were fighting over controls 2% of the map, and we took out the surrounding structures and included more than just its 7 hexes in the playable area"... I don't think your rectangle has a leg to stand on.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-07 at 07:31 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion