Customization Woes - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is omniscent.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-03, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Re: Customization Woes

As long as it isn't lore/immersion breaking or unbalancing in a pay to win kind of fashion then I say sky's the limit.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
IHateMMOs
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Speaking of camo, will infiltrators have camo patterns? Seems illogical, since they're whole point is not to be seen. I think the TR HA would have looked better if they put the desert camo on his helmet too. But overall, I've never been a fan of camo. Especially in a game which has empires with their own color combinations. But hey, if you don't like it don't use it. Nothing says you do, and nothing forces other people not to.
Old 2012-05-03, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
As long as it isn't lore/immersion breaking or unbalancing in a pay to win kind of fashion then I say sky's the limit.
I agree, I don't want to see someone in rainbow camo and giant red clown shoes just because they wanted to stand out and had some extra station cash, but I feel that the devs have approached this very thoughtfully.

The camo we've seen thus far is quite appropriate for the environments and offers a great deal of customization while still maintaining empire themes. Depending on how easy it is to swap camo patterns that you've purchased, I expect to use it only when tactically necessary. Most of the time I plan to be rocking the good old red and black.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
kaffis
Contributor
Major

The thing that bothers me about the camo is that it flies in the face of the "we want our distant units to be easily identifiable as friends or foes" of the empire color schemes. Sure, red, blue, and purple distinguish the empire well (assuming you're not colorblind to red, in which case the blue and purple can look pretty close), but that just goes out the window when all three put on their desert camo and go running around Indar.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
RoninAfro
Private

I think the silhouettes of the empire specific vehicles would be enough to distinguish them from one another. The non-ES stuff would be a simple fix, such as the targeting reticule changing to reflect when you're aiming at a friendly or having green names over friendly units.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Lol, Im old and dont know how to imbed images yet but here is a link of a helmet I would like to buy in the cash shop. Something similar anyways http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/F...rctdelta20.jpg
Old 2012-05-03, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Lol, Im old and dont know how to imbed images yet but here is a link of a helmet I would like to buy in the cash shop. Something similar anyways http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/F...rctdelta20.jpg
No offense, but I really hope it doesn't get that customizable.

Much as I love 40k, I want things to stay distinctly Planetside in PS2. I don't want a bunch of random Space Marines running around.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

One thing I kind of wonder, and which would appease my distaste for some of this customization, is if maybe we could have a way to hide the display of each individual customization within the game world?

Each customization could have a little check box next to it in the UI that when you click it would prevent that customization from being displayed to you. Players and vehicles with that customization would be reverted to a default empire color scheme / design on your screen, but not on theirs.

You might say this inhibits customization, but I think it's merely taking customization one step further. I would like the ability to customize my gameplay experience to exclude certain customization options from showing up to me.

Last edited by LostAlgorithm; 2012-05-03 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
One thing I kind of wonder, and which would appease my distaste for some of this customization, is if maybe we could have a way to hide the display of each individual customization within the game world?

Each customization could have a little check box next to it in the UI that when you click it would prevent that customization from being displayed to you. Players and vehicles with that customization would be reverted to a default empire color scheme / design on your screen, but not on theirs.

You might say this inhibits customization, but I think it's merely taking customization one step further. I would like the ability to customize my gameplay experience to exclude certain customization options from showing up to me.
Then the people who purchase the camo patterns in the hope that it'll help breakup their outline will have wasted their money. In a sort of way I do like the idea as I would like to block out all the clown shoe, rainbow camo wearing soldiers if there are any... but I think a feature like this would lessen the coolness of buying a skin, knowing that only a fraction of the players will even see it.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
Then the people who purchase the camo patterns in the hope that it'll help breakup their outline will have wasted their money. In a sort of way I do like the idea as I would like to block out all the clown shoe, rainbow camo wearing soldiers if there are any... but I think a feature like this would lessen the coolness of buying a skin, knowing that only a fraction of the players will even see it.
I don't personally buy skins or the like in other games to impress others, I buy them for myself because I like them.

Heck, I'd be fine with paying a slightly larger fee one time to have the ability to hide others customizations as I described before. That would be more than fair I'd think.

If camo customization is a purchasable option, and people are actually putting stock in it as making them harder to see / hit, then it should be something you can disable. Otherwise it's something that the community seems to agree is a pay-to-win option that confers an advantage for money, however small.

Last edited by LostAlgorithm; 2012-05-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I absolutely agree that there should be an option that allows you to turn off this kind of superficial personal customisations. Heck EQ had it for a long time with the /showrealskins command.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Brusi
Contributor
Major

The reason that customisable items in Planetside 2 will stay distinctly Planetside will be due to the fact that they are being created by the Planetside 2 art team.

I agree that i would prefer if customisations in general stuck with the theme of the game, much as ugly post-modern houses don't get planning permission if they are on a street full of nice old rustic houses, however that definitely doesn't rule out all manner of awesome helmets and armor.

PS2 Dinosaur helmets, YES... Dinosaur heads, NOOOO!

oh, and +1 for definitely wanting a skull helmet

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-04, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
PS2 Dinosaur helmets, YES... Dinosaur heads, NOOOO!

oh, and +1 for definitely wanting a skull helmet
Exactly. As long as it fits in with the style of the game/empire, I'd love to see it. It doesn't have to be that actual specific skull helmet, just something very much like that which also is made to fit in with whichever empire it is made for.

I'm ambivalent about having an ability to disable viewing other peoples cosmetic customizations.
Old 2012-05-04, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
Am I the only one who isn't really looking forward to super customization?
Old 2012-05-04, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I feel you actually on the customization thing. I love the idea of customizing my gear as far as what scopes, magazines, guns, equipment I have. But the camo patterns especially on tanks honestly look very gaudy to me.

I'd be more for the camo patterns if they were forced on all vehicles depending on the continent, but even then i'd just miss the standard colors. Allowing some people to have different camo's and "bling" on their vehicles takes away the immersion that we are fighting a war as an empire. I want to feel the rumble of each empire moving in on each other as a cohesive unit. Imagine playing on a snow level and having people rolling around with desert camo???? I understand why they feel they need to implement these features but I am surely not counted among those who will enjoy it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion