Religion - Page 45 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PIMPTASTIC
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-04, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #661
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I just wrote a page of words that got rejected because of PSU's time-out feature.
That would be the prototype Posting Content Standards Script at work.

1: Me not being able to prove there is a God doesn't mean there isn't one.
True, but claiming that your belief/faith alone means his existence is undeniable is folly... logical or otherwise.

2: You dumb asses that think you have all the answers because your 17% operational brain can concieve it, makes you ignorant.
Actually, nobody here (except you) has claimed any such things. We just have a problem with the idea that the default answer to any question should be:

E. Because of God

3: Stop fighting me on this so hard, fighting me on this makes me realize you need to be convinced for some reason or another. If you just flat out don't believe, then don't believe. You're fucking bad.
Only a fool engages a fool in a battle of wits and expects to win. I don't think we really expect to win though, you have pretty much sealed your mind shut to any divergent possibilities. I suspect that wasn't always the case, but life and death situations tend to bring that out in people who absolutely must have an answer... of any kind.

4: Lastly, I STILL know I am not wrong. I have been shot, stabbed, burned alive and survived a brain cancer that 72 other people have lived. I ain't dead yet and I don't plan on dying......If what I am believing in is WRONG, then explain to me why the fuck I am alive..... I DARE you to say luck or good fortune.....
Yet the day will come that you will die, and you won't plan on it.

I won't bother trying to convince you that your belief had anything to do with your survival, or bother bringing up the millions of people that it did and does fuck all for, or even that people with conflicting beliefs to yours have done far more impressive feats of survival.

The interface of the mind and body is a mysterious thing, but there is far more proof that the body is a subject to the will of the mind than there is that your god is real. So it is entirely possible your beliefs have saved your life, just not the way you think.

Old 2012-06-04, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #662
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Round and round we go!
Old 2012-06-05, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #663
Figment
Lieutenant General

Duke, as a passenger I once had a VW minivan drive into the side of our car and stop at 5 cm from my head.

I thank the Peugeot 806's structural and safety designers and testers for saving my life through a protective shell that worked and letting me walk away without any injuries at all.

And yes, they're very likely French.

5cms works for me. And I'm a "hardcore atheist". (Non-)Religious people die in carcrashes, plane crashes, train crashes and shipping disasters all day...

Schoolbus full of children drives into a tunnelwall because of a DVD being placed an act of god? No, then it's suddenly the driver to blame, instead of god punishing him and everyone in his bus for not paying attention to the road for a second. I mean this is your logic Duke, your god saying:

"Hah that will teach him about responsibility now that he's dead and so are 40 children, he'll think twice of putting in a DVD while driving again! ... What do you mean, and what about those other 40 children? No no you got it backwards, my divine powers saved 5 with just some ripped off limbs and massive psychological trauma. SEE HOW I DID THAT? I'm awesome like that."

Nice god.

Lovely how your god loves just you and makes everyone else have horrible accidents. You just keep on believing your faith does fuck all to your survivability and give a "screw you" to all those other people who simply wern't as lucky as you to get through an incredibly unlucky situation you got in the first place. Ego-centric much? "You are not wrong" my arse. You're an incredibly selfish and self-important prick Duke, you know that? And someone really needs to put your back in your place.

Oh, at the same time, god gives you "a screw you too" by means of all of the other people who never got a brain tumor. Please tell me Duke, what made you so special you needed a tumor? Why don't we all have brain tumors to survive? Why do some people never have bad things happen to them despite of living very "naughty" lifes?

Why did you get a tumor you could barely survive in the first place Duke? God didn't like you to spread lies about the age of dinosaurs? You ever fapped in the bathroom and the Pope saw you do it? Isn't that awesome? You only looking at the positive bit as an Act-of-God-Special-Price-Just-For-You, while never looking at the negative part as the same thing. This is a form of bias you won't want to understand I'm sure, but you Duke, are full of it.

And no Duke, we're not trying to be convinced and any sympathy I might have had for you suffering through that brain tumor itself (which is a horrible experience that nobody wishes on someone else) has been lost on you explaining it away by denouncing anyone who might have tried to do something for you directly over this harsh period (doctors, nurses, family, your own internal organs, etc) by giving all credit to your god. Talk about ego-centrism: you feel you're special enough to get direct help from a god while nobody else in the world does and while you don't acknowledge anyone else from helping you through this period. You know what Duke? You're an obnoxious, ungrateful, little twat when you do that.

You don't have the power nor knowledge nor argumentation to convert anyone. Instead you just make religious people look extremely stupid, stereotypical and turn us off even further - convincing us more with every post that we're right and you're wrong and quite frankly, must have an IQ of below 80. So stop pretending anyone is interested in hearing your dribble because they respond and realise that the reason we're posting this is actually to see if there's anything in you that's salvagable, for e-sports and boredom.

So far, that's a no. I don't think you're salvageable and you're becoming less sympathetic, more desparate, more non-sensical and less entertaining with every post you write. Maybe it's because you're drunk again. But maybe god wants you to be drunk so you can make a complete fool out of yourself on the internet for all the world to see. Who knows? You certainly don't, can't and won't know!
Old 2012-06-05, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #664
MadPenguin
Sergeant

2: You dumb asses that think you have all the answers because your 17% operational brain can concieve it, makes you ignorant.
I wish you would stop saying this. You say this in half your posts and we keep on saying no, we don't know everything. We are ignorant about, for example, the origins of the universe, abiogenesis, etc. No one here claims to know everything so just stop. Please.

Not a single argument put forward by a skeptic on this thread has had any reliance on humans having the answer to EVERYTHING.

Last edited by MadPenguin; 2012-06-05 at 05:17 AM.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #665
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You know it's actually a myth that people only use X% of their brain, right?
Old 2012-06-05, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #666
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
You know it's actually a myth that people only use X% of their brain, right?
Don't you like the insinuation that (he thinks) he uses more than the rest of us though?
Old 2012-06-05, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #667
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

For those saying you have nothing to lose by believing, the above situation is equally possible.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #668
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Suppose this guy is actually not lying to gain sympathy, and he had a sizable tumor in his frontal lobe removed when he was in his teens. Would it explain anything to you?

It's entirely possible that tumors/removal of tissue in that area can result in permanently reduced capacity for reasoning, weighing possibilities, judgment etc.
He's not lying to gain sympathy, he - like half the baptists churches in the US - uses a real life positive example of praying power to solve bad situations that is supposedly evidence of their god.

Sympathy has nothing to do with it. This is a pretty standard "miracle"-story.

On another forum, one guy once argued that god existed because he needed a job for months now. He hadn't been solliciting enough but he had prayed he'd find a job a couple times during that period of time. So he went to the mall and voila: there was a job vacancy. He applied and he actually got the job!

Look! It's a miracle!

(Look! It's sarcasm!)
Old 2012-06-05, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #669
Elude
First Sergeant

Except Duke isn't lucky, how the hell did he get all those problems in the first place?

Answer: God did it lol
Old 2012-06-05, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #670
Figment
Lieutenant General

I understood that option. Question is, would it change your perception of him if what I suggested turns out the be true?
Would your sympathy for Hitler increase if he turned out to have a braintumor and ADHD and a mommy that gave him candy every time he whined for attention as a kid?
Old 2012-06-05, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #671
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Would your sympathy for Hitler increase if he turned out to have a braintumor and ADHD and a mommy that gave him candy every time he whined for attention as a kid?
I would be. How could someone not be? Of course you couldn't just hand-wave away the genocide and war and such, but certainly it could be seen as an understandable tragedy more than acts of pure malice from an otherwise healthy mind (as we presume he possessed).

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-06-05 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #672
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I would feel sympathy for him, and even less for the German people. That is, however, how I already feel... Seriously, the German people deserved to be punished for WW2 and the Holocaust more so than after WW1, because they voted that monster into power (not all of them, of course). But, of course, that wouldn't have fixed anything.

And now i'll get back on topic...

Let's just stop with this guys. There's no point in arguing; it's going nowhere.

Edit :: I was listening to 99 Luftballons while typing that. Just realized that, lol

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know

Last edited by NivexQ; 2012-06-05 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #673
Elude
First Sergeant

I don't care to get to the end of an argument, I just want to keep the streets clear of bullshit.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #674
Figment
Lieutenant General

You answer my question first.
No, of course it wouldn't change anything. People are responsible for their own thoughts and actions, whether they realise it or not.'

Whether they're capable of organizing the crime of the century or come online in a drunken stupor, that should give them enough capacity to do self-reflection, but they choose not to.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #675
Figment
Lieutenant General

So would you be upset with someone who got a stroke behind the wheel and crashed into a group of school children 200m down the road as an uncontrollable muscle spasm in his right leg slammed down the gas pedal?
First of all, my sympathy is about choice, not uncontrollable muscle spasms.

So in your example, for me it depends if they knew they had a high stroke risk. Because then they made the choice to drive and take the risk to themselves and other people for granted. Similarly, it would matter to me whether or not the person at least tried to do something about it in the 200m drive towards those children if he still had any form of control and situational awareness.

I understand where you're trying to go with the force majeure argument, but the case of Duke isn't about force majeure: if he has a certain amount of capacity of rationality to come up with a god design and get on the internet to write troll posts and do certain other things like analysing bits of PS2 (which he does, drunk or not) then he is capable of choice. If he is then provided with alternative input, it's his choice to use it or not.

Duke here tends to ve very selective with the accepted input. Typically only input he likes or fears, meaning he is capable of data verification and that this is an active choice. Not force majeure.

The point is: How can you completely hold someone responsible for urges that they can't possibly control? Brains have ways of their own (most of the processes are actually quite stupid) - consciousness, understanding of it, and resulting actions are always limited in how much they can be controlled, even for someone who holds himself a true rationalist. If Duke turns out to actually have had a tumor that affected his frontal lobe, I would definitely reevaluate my position.
I wouldn't. First of all because even if it would impede his qualitative analysis, it clearly doesn't completely block his capacity to analyse. Duke choses NOT to analyse. That is where my empathy falls flat. As long as he doesn't try to be objective at all, not even the tiniest bit of trying, while being capable of accepting other new input just as long as it conforms with existing worldviews, then this is a case of turning a deaf ear.

That's a choice.

Now abstract that. Ask yourself how much people can even help it that they turn to God.
Pretty much everyone can, as long as they're willing to look at alternative input. Willingness is a choice.

If you're capable of accepting god as an answer, then you're also capable of not accepting a god as an answer. The choice is whether or not you accept input for verification. There is no way input acceptance is mentally wired to the point you have no control over it at all.

Reduced control doesn't mean no control. Reduced control still means you can at the very least try. If you don't try anyway, it doesn't matter to me if you're impaired or not: you choose not to try.

If you're demented however and thus incapable of taking in any input whatsoever, uncapable of even the simplest of tasks, then it's something different. Duke however, is far removed from that point: he is capable of reading and comprehension, he simply doesn't want to because he wants what he believes to be true. He choses not to be objective and goes out of his way to make his subjective nonsense make sense to himself. He has enough self-awareness to realise he's had a tumor removed, he has enough mental capacity to come up with a reasoning why he survived (this reasoning did not exist prior to his survival, but was created after!). This indicates he does have the capacity to reason, whether it is diminished or not.

And since it's a choice and he is thus in at least a bit of control, his current behaviour is something I'll never have any increased sympathy or respect for.

To answer your question: Hitler was already so high on my hatelist that any amount of due sympathy or understanding wouldn't be enough to bring him down more than 0,0000001%. See why godwinning is silly now?
So basically it was the perfect example to provide you with to make you realise my emphatic position is virtually not going to move.

Thus it's not silly, what I find silly (and not increasing sympathy) is someone who automatically dismisses an argument based on the reasoning "oh Hitler argument, thus can be ignored". For that, is a choice: to be biased about such an argument or not.

Choose bias: lose/not increase sympathy. Choose to evaluate (even semi-)objectively: increase in sympathy.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum