The other side of the argument: What am I getting for my money? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: r0xx0r your B0xxorz
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-12, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: The other side of the argument: What am I getting for my money?

Originally Posted by UnknownDT View Post
Why no hats? I want a baseball cap so I can tip it to the side and leave the sticker on it and look like a total gangsta.
The reason why not is in your own post!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-12, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
The reason why not is in your own post!
What is wrong with his purple camo WWII helmet?

I never played TF2, but even I heard about the hat orgasm that they had.

Last edited by Knocky; 2012-03-12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
A "free" game will not stay online for long if there is nothing worth buying.

Let us hope that there will be a reason to spend money consistently.
What are you talking about? League of Legends and TF2 are both F2P with no pay 2 win. Both are massively successful.

You underestimate the power of hats. All this game needs is visual enhancements and a constant flow of new cool visual stuff and people WILL buy them.

If anything, it's pay 2 win that makes free games fail, or at least never become as successful as they could be. People like balanced games, pay 2 win is FAR from balanced.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Maybe they should add the buggies to the cash shop.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
What are you talking about? League of Legends and TF2 are both F2P with no pay 2 win. Both are massively successful.

You underestimate the power of hats. All this game needs is visual enhancements and a constant flow of new cool visual stuff and people WILL buy them.

If anything, it's pay 2 win that makes free games fail, or at least never become as successful as they could be. People like balanced games, pay 2 win is FAR from balanced.
My Reddit friend, nowhere have I advocated for pay-to-win. I am a supporter of paid customizing. I simply state that there needs to be item WORTH buying. Otherwise there will be no cash-flow and the game shuts down.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
Maybe they should add the buggies to the cash shop.
To the side of the shop that you can buy with cash or ingame resources.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Kipper
Captain

Game playing is entertainment, normally you pay to be entertained - but F2P promotes more casual players without taking away the hardcore ones. The result being more players.

And the more players you have, the more players you will attract - because people will say "this is a thriving game, look how many people play", and then they'll go play. Friends of players will play, because there's no barrier to entry - Maybe any of these new players you helped attract will spend some money in the shop.

So even if you're not paying to play with your money, by giving your time you're still helping the game become successful as well as having fun. If you bring your money too, its just more direct.

From my own personal experience - if the game is good enough, people will give money - it's not being demanded of you, but most people know the value of entertainment and will buy an item to help support it, and the reward is faster XP gain or a cool new hat. When I downloaded World of Tanks, I enjoyed it enough that I have bought several rounds of premium time as well as some in game cash (which I could have spent time playing to earn) to get some tank upgrades early.

Its just a matter of balancing to make people who don't pay feel like they can advance at a good enough rate, while allowing those who do to advance at enough of a better rate. All the time not allowing one to get easier kills on the other.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
EightEightEight
Sergeant Major

I think as far as customization it should be anything the player wants hats shades colors armor what ever, but if you buy pink and yellow camo that has a downside to make you very noticeable and some people want that were others want to be a shadow in the wind
Old 2012-03-12, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Shogun
Contributor
General

leasing/renting sucks.

most people even have concerns about buying virtual goods because they get nothing real for their money...

now try to convince them to RENT something virtual! so the "nothing" you pay for will not even stay yours.

i have no problem to pay for cosmetical stuff or xp boosters. but having to rent stuff would totally kill my interest in the store.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-12, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Monkey
Private

I wouldn't want to pay for extra certs though, I really hope they stay away from this and make it so everyone has the same total amount of certs (depending on lvl/rank).
Old 2012-03-12, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Patek
Private

Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
I wouldn't want to pay for extra certs though, I really hope they stay away from this and make it so everyone has the same total amount of certs (depending on lvl/rank).
i agree
Old 2012-03-12, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
My Reddit friend, nowhere have I advocated for pay-to-win. I am a supporter of paid customizing. I simply state that there needs to be item WORTH buying. Otherwise there will be no cash-flow and the game shuts down.
I suspect that, just as with TF2, they'll constantly be adding new content for people to buy, I wouldn't worry about it. There's a need to constantly add new content because the shop becomes the new subscription equivalent. With each wave of new content released monthly they actively seek to get a wave of sales in the same manner that subscriptions works, except when done well people will spend FAR more in an F2P shop than on subscriptions, then you've got the super-supporters who'll pay for a subscription on top purely to support the game.

As a redditor you must know that even if people are getting absolutely nothing they'll buy just to support something they love. Reddit gold works on that principle. It really adds nothing to the site, but tonnes of people buy it.

Expect to see gifting in the game too, gifting will cause many, many more sales too.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Monkey
Private

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
I suspect that, just as with TF2, they'll constantly be adding new content for people to buy, I wouldn't worry about it. There's a need to constantly add new content because the shop becomes the new subscription equivalent. With each wave of new content released monthly they actively seek to get a wave of sales in the same manner that subscriptions works, except when done well people will spend FAR more in an F2P shop than on subscriptions, then you've got the super-supporters who'll pay for a subscription on top purely to support the game.

As a redditor you must know that even if people are getting absolutely nothing they'll buy just to support something they love. Reddit gold works on that principle. It really adds nothing to the site, but tonnes of people buy it.

Expect to see gifting in the game too, gifting will cause many, many more sales too.
To be honest if PS2 is just as good as PS1 was I would buy things monthly to come to around £7, because I don't mind paying this for a good game. Would you buy things too even though you might not even want it?
Old 2012-03-12, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Graywolves
General

It's reverse psychology

The game is so amazing and free

So you HAVE to give them ALL your money.
Old 2012-03-12, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Full of Fail
Private

Outfit customization might be a big one. Probably the big outfits will be able to pay good money to buy unique stuff for their members and build their identity in the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion