Cloak Runners - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how many bodies could i squeze in the trunk of my MAX
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-12, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pollo Jack
Corporal

Cloak Runners

So in Planet Side we had limitations on back dooring via links to the facility. PS2 doesn't have this restriction so we may get people that hack a base and surge to the next one.

I didn't mind going back and re-securing towers and bases now and then but it usually wasn't the most interesting thing to do.

Depending on how short the timers are this might be an issue and even with a lengthy timer if you place enough hacks one will probably go through. You didn't get xp for re-securing an empty base. Even with one person there lets say hiding, it was often less than two kills worth of xp for a good ten to twenty minute drive.

Maybe put a limit on how many bases someone can hack in ten minutes encouraging at least a team of people so if you catch them you have a decent fight.
Old 2012-04-12, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: Cloak Runners

Could definitely become a problem. However given the fact that back hacking in general will probably not be a very useful tactic in PS2, I doubt anyone would do more then irritate an entire empire.

Still this does warrant consideration, and it may be that the tug-of-war system is really the only way to prevent such tricks.
Old 2012-04-12, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

They said it would take much longer to ghost than to re secure.
Old 2012-04-12, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
They said it would take much longer to ghost than to re secure.
The problem I see is that every hex on the map is a cappable zone. What stops a cloaker from running around capping everything? Whether it starts a timer or just caps it Tower style in PS1 doesn't make much difference. A single cloaker could cause pandemonium for one side or another by constantly forcing the defending empire to send resecure teams, or even just individuals.
Old 2012-04-12, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I think limiting the amount hacked in X minutes or just limited number would be good.

That drain virus in PS is a example of how one person can cause massive issues. Should of been limited to one base, not every single possible one.
Old 2012-04-12, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Three guesses why the original PS implemented the lattice!
Old 2012-04-12, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Knocky
Major

Higby said that Infiltrators will not be able to capture a base, they can only hack terminals.

So you can have 200 Infiltrators behind enemy lines and they cant take anything.
Old 2012-04-12, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Three guesses why the original PS implemented the lattice!
Yep, but it was a cannonball to kill a gnat.

A far simpler solution is to require more than one person, and to require their presence for the whole hack. Those two rules would have cut down the ghost hacks by 99%.
Old 2012-04-12, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Higby said that Infiltrators will not be able to capture a base, they can only hack terminals.

So you can have 200 Infiltrators behind enemy lines and they cant take anything.
I may be wrong, but what I believe Higby means is that bases and other capture points are no longer "hacked" like they were in the original game. Instead, they are captured by having overwhelming force present in the area. In theory, a bunch of cloaked Infiltrators occupying a capture point area where there are little or no opposing force, could have success. Then again, if the area is surrounded by enemy territory, the capture presumably takes a lot of time.

At least that is my current understanding of how capture points work.
Old 2012-04-12, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The current capture model being discussed is just one idea they are working on. They have many capture models on the table and wish to implement multiple methods.

The first model I came to know, simply required enemy presence to intitiate and keep a hack going. Like the Domination game mode of CoD, if you're familiar. If such a method is used, said cloaker would have to remain at the console throughout the "hack" and it would take a long time.

They are on the right track with regards to how captures will happen and everything I have seen will not allow a single person to run around initiating hacks everywhere.

Now, a bunch of small teams could, but that's good too. It means you will have many options as far as where you want to go fight.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-12, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Pollo Jack
Corporal

Alright sounds good. I don't mind re-securing against an opposing force but if no enemy is there during my patrol it will just be a blue shift.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion