Customization Woes - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We're not too old for this sh!t!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-08, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Re: Customization Woes

"If I pay money for camouflage everyone one else damn well better see it!"

How can the store legitimately offer a cosmetic upgrade like camo when every other player can simply check a box to disable it?

Also, camo has tactical value, not just cosmetic.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
"If I pay money for camouflage everyone one else damn well better see it!"

How can the store legitimately offer a cosmetic upgrade like camo when every other player can simply check a box to disable it?

Also, camo has tactical value, not just cosmetic.
This is the reason for my concerns over camo.

If the camouflage is at all useful and "realistic" (i.e., appropriate colors are offered for different terrains and continents to affect visibility), it's a Pay for Advantage feature. If it's not at all useful and "realistic," it's "silly."

I like neither option.

I'd love to see a variety of different designs that heavily feature the primary and secondary empire colors as the predominant colors of the skins. Different patterns of blue and gold, black and red, and purple and teal are (mostly -- TR runs into some problems if there isn't "enough" red on it, since black is a big concealment advantage at night) fine and difficult to argue against, because they're in keeping with the uniform themes established in Planetside, and are all of the very blatant "we stand out so you see us coming" sci-fi vibe that usually grounds itself in "honorable combat" or having sensors so good that visual camo is pointless, or whatever.

I suppose that's another option: An optional "predator view" or "infrared goggles" graphics setting that masks all custom skins with faux heat signatures overlaid with Friend or Foe UI elements. Alternately, you know, we could have 3D spotting in the UI.

Funny how the same guys who don't want us to be able to turn off their camo skins (or wouldn't buy camo skins if we COULD turn them off) seem to be some of the vocal opponents of 3D spotting. You don't think they want to pay to win, do you?
Old 2012-05-09, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Toppopia
Major

I thought i said this somewhere but i can't find my post.

If we can buy camouflage that lets us blend in to our surroundings, it won't give us more than a 20% advantage over someone, because once we shoot, we will be found pretty quickly and most of the time camo is made poorly so we can't even hide. So having camo in this game won't give you an advantage, it will just make you look that much cooler.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I thought i said this somewhere but i can't find my post.

If we can buy camouflage that lets us blend in to our surroundings, it won't give us more than a 20% advantage over someone, because once we shoot, we will be found pretty quickly and most of the time camo is made poorly so we can't even hide. So having camo in this game won't give you an advantage, it will just make you look that much cooler.
So then people shouldn't be using it as an example of how an option to hide certain skins would be so horrifically unfair to them.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
So then people shouldn't be using it as an example of how an option to hide certain skins would be so horrifically unfair to them.
What i'm saying is that there should be 2 customisation themes.

1) This theme is the theme everyone sees and is not over the top and fits in with Planetside, like choosing from a certain variety of colors for your empire.

2) This theme contains crazy stuff that people can turn off and is solely for the pleasure of the person using it.

So camo should fit into theme 1 because it fits with the Planetside theme.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
This is the reason for my concerns over camo.

If the camouflage is at all useful and "realistic" (i.e., appropriate colors are offered for different terrains and continents to affect visibility), it's a Pay for Advantage feature. If it's not at all useful and "realistic," it's "silly."

I like neither option.

I'd love to see a variety of different designs that heavily feature the primary and secondary empire colors as the predominant colors of the skins. Different patterns of blue and gold, black and red, and purple and teal are (mostly -- TR runs into some problems if there isn't "enough" red on it, since black is a big concealment advantage at night) fine and difficult to argue against, because they're in keeping with the uniform themes established in Planetside, and are all of the very blatant "we stand out so you see us coming" sci-fi vibe that usually grounds itself in "honorable combat" or having sensors so good that visual camo is pointless, or whatever.

I suppose that's another option: An optional "predator view" or "infrared goggles" graphics setting that masks all custom skins with faux heat signatures overlaid with Friend or Foe UI elements. Alternately, you know, we could have 3D spotting in the UI.

Funny how the same guys who don't want us to be able to turn off their camo skins (or wouldn't buy camo skins if we COULD turn them off) seem to be some of the vocal opponents of 3D spotting. You don't think they want to pay to win, do you?
Actually depending on the night, NC would be better hidden because the night scene Higby showed was blue, not black, so in those instances which is most of the time, NC will be most hidden.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion