PlanetSide 2 Developer Questions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oh! this is such a lame way to die! this is so NOT cool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-21, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Question PlanetSide 2 Developer Questions

Jennyboo and I will be headed to LA for the Ultimate Empire Showdown on Friday. We will likely have several interviews while we are out there to publish on our YouTube channel when we return.

I will be asking questions based off the 6 month plan we hear that day but I also wanted to solicit some community questions. Let's keep them juicy and based off things we haven't heard before - I won't have tons of time.

Thanks guys!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-21, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 Developer Questions

Are you working on implementing lattice or some sort of restructured hex system akin to the "neutral territory idea"(by Azure Twilight) ?

I know they've shot down lattice a bunch of times so not sure if you want to ask them.

Also, have you made any progress on infantry culling? It is a big immersion killer for a lot of people, not to mention a huge game-play flaw for a game that promises massive battles.

Last edited by CrazEpharmacist; 2013-01-21 at 09:11 AM.
Old 2013-01-21, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Wargrim
Sergeant

I think most of the stuff i can think off will be covered by their 6 month plan and info, but in general i want to know these:

- Buggys: When do they come, can be pulled at what terminals, what weapon options, what battlefield role, models for all 3 factions look how?

- New continents: When, all 3 at once or step by step? Which one first if step by step? Expected playstyles / signature attributes of each cont, other than "this is a swamp"?

- Warpgate network: Taking vehicles through warpgates? Removal of permanent footholds? Continent locks? Static or dynamic warpgate network? Broadcast warpgates? Bug them about as many details as you can, even though i expect they will not even have made a decision on that stuff.

- Empire specific AV: When, what, how?

- Population management / server merges / server transfers: Find out as many details as possible, and how they want to make sure we do not end up with even worse pop imballances.

- Everything about the XP reworking.

- Orbital strikes: I think that is a horrible, horrible idea by its very nature. Ask them how they intend to stop this from being a zero skill, high power, high victim frustration, low user risk ability.

- Two ( 3 ) man tank option: Any progress on that?

- Any plans for a fast, unarmed ~6 man transport plane to fill the gap between Gals and Mossies?

- How do they think Esports can fit into a game where there are 1001 factors outside of the control of any competitive player?

- Account wide unlocks, when?

- Player created content, when? Differences US / EU / Rest of the world?

- Outfit specializations / leveling / customization / ingame recruiting tools: What and when?

- Ask about false / reversed bans of players with high kill streaks / excessive killfarming. Should we be afraid if we do not film all our excessive kill farms?

- Max abilities: What and when? Will Maxes see more AV / AA options?

- Infiltrators: Recon tools? Sabotage tools? Shortrange options other than SMG? Melee options?

- Facility and continent benefits, will they change, if so, how?

- Resources and the value thereoff, what will change?

- Is it possible we will ever see turret stabilization on the Vanguard and Prowler, so they can fire on the move, and the turretless design of the Magrider becomes a real disadvantage and not just one that exists on paper?

- A2A missiles: Are there plans to make them more player skill based?

- Improved preview function that lets you combine camos, visuals and different weapons, and see how they look on your vehicle/character: When will we get such a thing?

- What is that ominous Bastion Carrier about?

- Lodestar or equivalent?

- Can we get an UI option to have the continent hex map on screen at all times?

- Can we get an /ignore playername command that allows us to stop recieving text chat messages from certain players?

- Any news on squad spawning on Galaxies?

- Assault Rifles for the HA: Did that idea get scrapped, or is it possible we will see it one day?

- Engineer deployables, what and when? Shields? Turrets? Telepads? ... ???

Generally, bug them for details on everthing they announce.
Old 2013-01-21, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

I second the server merge questions. Ask them if they are aware of the low-medium populations across most servers, even during prime time.
Old 2013-01-21, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I'd like to know their thoughts (and plans) on:

- RTS/Sandbox elements/"meta game" (base fortifying, base building?)

- Concerning mapping: Doors? Water? Windows? Intentional lack of these or limitation of the engine? If intentional, why?

- Immersion, "MMO" Feel: All from holstering weapons over sanctuaries up to square continents with "out of bounds areas" goes into this category; Basically i'd like to know what they have in mind to make PS2 feel more like a true, persistant world and less like a generic lobby shooter
Old 2013-01-21, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DFC
Private

New player titles for actions performed - http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c..._for_vehicles/

Extra ammo/landing pads for warp gates

Also get them to stop nerfing air just because some whining babies cant fly.

And yeah them account-wide unlocks.
Old 2013-01-21, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Honestly anything that will come up on Saturday is probably not worth me asking on Friday. I need quick to the point questions I can't reference links in person.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-21, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

any chance we'll see more tactical objectives for smaller squads at some point within my natural life time? if so, how far back on their backlog is it?

ie, rooms with generators we can do old style genholds in. maybe a way to force bases to go neutral would be nice, defensible bases, a return to capture the flag (llu) are just a few ideas.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-01-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2013-01-21, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Is cross continental warfare still planned? How many continents do you plan to implement until we see it?

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-01-21, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Any it's kinda hard thinking of something to ask when we don't know what will be answered in their big plan. Although I've been out of the loop for some time now...

Are you [the devs] planning on redesigning the Prowler? (Turret placement, chassis, gun mechanics, mounted secondary weapons.. You get the idea)

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-01-21, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
PredatorFour
Major

Are they actually able to sort the rendering issue with troops in the forgelight engine ?
Old 2013-01-21, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
JojoTheSlayer
Private

(1) Will a strategic level be added to the game within the 6months plan?
(Mini sancs, latices between warpgates etc or similar)
(Separate instanced 3 way maps is NOT strategy.)

(2) Will future maps have more for smaller outfits to do?
(Squad size, aka 12 guys.)

(3) Will future structures be a bit more oriented toward incentivicing Galaxy drops?
(Gen room on roof of bases. Tower stairways ala PS1 where smaller units can drop on the top and fight their way down into the base instead of just always via ground level entrances etc. Current Techlab roof down stream which = suicide )

(4) Is it possible to have a render ONLY air when flying option?
(Hard to fly when you get low and suddenly you go to 1fps in a dog fight...)

(5) Is there any chance you will balance tank warfare to become a bit more ranged and less HE oriented by changing AP weapons?
(As in for example buffing AP vs armor, increasing shell speed and lowering arch to make it a better ranged choice than HE / HEAT vs tanks at the cost of little infantry damage.)

Last edited by JojoTheSlayer; 2013-01-21 at 11:12 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-21, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Be sure to ask Matt about his 6-month post-launch hair plan. It's getting wild again!
Old 2013-01-21, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

1) will we ever get a ce hud?
we have mines, we have claymores, but we have no way to tell where they are,or if they are still up, and if i should lay more down.... ce hud plays a pretty vital role in combat engineering.

2) jammer/emp nades, will more classes have access to them at some point?
these played a very important roll i ps1 and i think it would help infantry to combat armor in a cgc situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mkug9iwKEO4
give me some jammers and a desy, and i would make them all cry.

3)are we going to see more AV and AA max weapons?
AV max was pretty mean in ps1, in ps2 you get loled if you have certed into it.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2013-01-21 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2013-01-21, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
laoss
Private

Will there be new melee weapons?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion