Contestable open terrain and vehicles vs. infantry - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Reality is the game, Planetside is the life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Contestable open terrain and vehicles vs. infantry

Given that we know we'll be fighting to control things other than buildings and the enclosed infantry-centric things that implies, I have to wonder:

Will infantry be dead? Okay, okay, it'll never be completely dead. But will ground-pounding be more irrelevant?

As a linked question, though, do you guys anticipate that engineer deployables may play a role in promoting infantry play and putting a toe on the scales, as it were, to keep infantry relevant, even a quarter mile from the nearest building?

Are deployable shelters and *manned* gun emplacements in store for engineers? Should they be?
Old 2011-07-11, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Contestable open terrain and vehicles vs. infantry

It sounded like the are:

Some environments dominated by ground vehicles (large open plains)
Some environments dominated by infantry (dense jungles)
Some environments dominated by aircraft (uneven terrain high in mountains)
Some environments dominated by a mix (forest? idk)

For infantry, they mentioned there will be some urban combat, and then we also have bases and towers to fight over.

Infantry should be fine.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I remember reading they want infantry to have more reliable Anti Air weaponry. Adding MAXs and maybe some infiltrator, Engi, or Commander counters, I bet there will be plenty of ways for infantry to keep an even footing against vehicles.

Edit: and like bags said, come territories seem like they will be used by vechs instead of inf. Like an open plain for tanks and rugged mountains for air.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-07-11 at 11:34 PM.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

Nah, infantry always have to use the terrain around them along with AV weapons to take out vehicles. With both those things being in PS2, I'd say infantry is safe. (well, you know what I mean)
Old 2011-07-11, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It sounded like the are:

Some environments dominated by ground vehicles (large open plains)
Some environments dominated by infantry (dense jungles)
Some environments dominated by aircraft (uneven terrain high in mountains)
Some environments dominated by a mix (forest? idk)

For infantry, they mentioned there will be some urban combat, and then we also have bases and towers to fight over.

Infantry should be fine.
oh you mean like the battle islands? HOW ABOUT THOSE TANK BATTLES?!
Old 2011-07-11, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
oh you mean like the battle islands? HOW ABOUT THOSE TANK BATTLES?!
You can't pull armor on the battle islands.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I hope these areas don't have specific rules to them...Like you HAVE to use ground vehicles. Even if the area is only captureable with tanks I still want to be able to go on ground with my Lancer and wreak havoc. I also some areas don't allow certain vehicles.

It would suck traveling across regions in your mossie and then suddenly it's a non aircraft region and you're forced to either fly around or stop and get out.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-11, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

You can't pull armor on the battle islands.
I know, which is funny, because the point of desolation?...the desert one anyway, was ment to be all about tank battles, hence why its 3 tech plants.

I just wanted to pointout thats what SOE says, but no what always happens.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
I hope these areas don't have specific rules to them...Like you HAVE to use ground vehicles. Even if the area is only captureable with tanks I still want to be able to go on ground with my Lancer and wreak havoc. I also some areas don't allow certain vehicles.

It would suck traveling across regions in your mossie and then suddenly it's a non aircraft region and you're forced to either fly around or stop and get out.
yea that would suck, thats why I hate the battle islands and brang it up, if they design a map for aircraft , dont restricky other vehcile, cery is awesome to fly...just wish it had a higher flight cealing.

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2011-07-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

I know, which is funny, because the point of desolation?...the desert one anyway, was ment to be all about tank battles, hence why its 3 tech plants.

Ahh. I'm going to give them a second chance here. The second they start not following through...
Old 2011-07-11, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Actually they were released with tank battles and it was like that for awhile before gettin changed...for what reason i do not remember. The original idea for the BI's was very cool and worked well (nexus needed tweaked tho), just kinda went bleh with that patch that changed em all was the prob. Limiting what you can use and adjusting terrain to go hand in hand with the stuff really gave you some new gameplay experiences. Cool idea for the time, they shoulda stuck with it tho and not changed it.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post

They didn't say anything about rules, just that vehicles would be inherently dominant on plains due to the openness of them, infantry would be inherently dominant in an area that vehicles can't traverse, and air would naturally dominated a bumpy area that vehicle sand infantry have trouble getting up to.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Haro
Master Sergeant

Regardless of terrain, you're probably going to need infantry to actually capture objectives. What I would hope dynamic terrain seizure and certain types of battlefields contribute to is going for mechanized infantry, where land transports are actually used fairly frequently. If they can improve Anti-tank weapons while still keeping them balanced, and maybe throw in some artillery, I think open battlefields can really be fun. Improved AA would be great too, so that air cav doesn't run wild but disabling enemy AA really comes with a nice reward.
Old 2011-07-12, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
kaffis
Contributor
Major

They didn't say anything about rules, just that vehicles would be inherently dominant on plains due to the openness of them, infantry would be inherently dominant in an area that vehicles can't traverse, and air would naturally dominated a bumpy area that vehicle sand infantry have trouble getting up to.
Like I said, infantry will never be dead. However, I should point out that the infantry-only battle islands weren't exactly a resounding success... having designated maps that favor one or the other doesn't guarantee that the playerbase will like them and provide a fight there.

My question was more, would it be reasonable and fun to give engineers the option to deploy deployable cover to supplement the natural cover in areas that don't have them, or to construct "base defenses" as it were (like the guns on the walls that never really did enough damage in PS1) for open terrain, since there will be open terrain being fought over?
Old 2011-07-12, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
Regardless of terrain, you're probably going to need infantry to actually capture objectives. What I would hope dynamic terrain seizure and certain types of battlefields contribute to is going for mechanized infantry, where land transports are actually used fairly frequently. If they can improve Anti-tank weapons while still keeping them balanced, and maybe throw in some artillery, I think open battlefields can really be fun. Improved AA would be great too, so that air cav doesn't run wild but disabling enemy AA really comes with a nice reward.
Vehicles can capture outdoor objectives.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion