It's been a week. What do you fear? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where almost everyone plays on emerald
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-17, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thumbs down It's been a week. What do you fear?

So it's been over a week now and we have TONS of information to absorb.

Of what we have heard so far what do you fear most of the features we have heard about? Let's try and not make this a debate about specific features, just thoughts and opinions on why you think it's a bad idea. There are other threads for more in depth debate!

Also let's stay away from "It's SOE" or other comments, just keep it to game specifics.

So fire away!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-17, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vancha
Colonel

Re: It's been a week. What do you fear?

When I clicked on this thread I was thinking of another 3-4 months with zero new info, but as it's strictly regarding game mechanics...

Headshots side, I fear the TTK will be too low. Headshots included, I fear the TTK will be way too low.

I fear they're going to make vehicle boarding instantaneous.

I fear the resource system could easily be made un-fun.

I fear I'm not going to like how my empire of choice turns out.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

That my imagination has run away with itself about how cool all the features sound.

I'm not normally one for hype - all developers say their game is brilliant and the players will love everything they do - but the enthusiasm from the devs has really got me stoked about PlanetSide 2, far more than any other game I'm looking forward to. However in the back of my mind there's this little voice saying "nothing goes to plan" so I guess I fear features like the mission system, resources, territory control, and "vertical gameplay" won't help the flow of the game as much as we would hope. You tell players how to play after all.

Can I get off the couch now Dr. Hamma?
Old 2011-07-17, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tool
Master Sergeant

I fear Empire imbalances making a return and having an effect on respective populations.

I fear aircav being as powerful and versatile as they were in PS1.

I fear the fading of enthusiasm of the PS2 team when beta comes and the tidal wave of complaints from the vocal minority constantly hounding them on they think the game should be.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

My biggest fear is that "looting enemy weapons is hard to balance" is going to mean we cannot loot enemy weapons period. I don't mind the no hacking of vehicles as much (though I can definitely see how people can be upset about that) but I LOVE using enemy weapons as I feel they are generally more effective against their own empire since those are the weapons said empire has the least experience fighting, and am going to be very VERY disappointed if we cannot loot them.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm scared out of my mind with a ton of things. This is the only game on the horizon that is anything like Planetside(Funny that 8 years later, Planetside 2 would be the second MMOFPS of it's kind), and there are so many things that could go wrong. Headshots could be ruin the game, Jetpacks could make walls obsolete(like they are Today), the class system could be nothing I like the certification system I loved, the game could be buggy when released, SOE could not support it again...

Still, all of their ideas are also intriguing at the same time. I really want to use the realistic flight controls, I'd like to see how similar the class system is to the certification system, and I would really like to see if hotdropping a few platoons of soldiers from galaxies is still the greatest experience in the world.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-07-17, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I fear that solo pwn mobiles aren't being removed from the game afterall.

Old 2011-07-17, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Clyras
Private

Actually the only stuff that particularly bothers me at the moment is what might be done about command. It doesn't take long to notice that the majority of command rank 5's in Planetside at the moment are just spamming immature pointless drivel or are just having a power trip and demanding people to leave continents to attack the one they want. Meanwhile, the majority of the playerbase is actually ignoring them.

Still, its saddening that only a few of the commanders are likely to have any real idea as to what is a wise decision. I'm more interested rather than concerned about what they are going to do in this regard, and hope that it is sufficient. CRM's did the job back in the day, but of course we no longer have any to keep people in order.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I fear that the are going to make it to much like Battlefield 2 or other FPS games they keep referencing. So that means that I fear that they will make the Spawning more like those FPS or that they will make the class system unbalanced for newer players.

I also fear some of the direction that they are going. "More sandbox gameplay" and especially "possible PVE." I actually yelled "NO!" when they said that in the interview.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I fear a spam of useless threads on PSU.
Oh, crap, its already here!

Old 2011-07-17, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Aractain
Major

I fear they wont put all the awesome stuff I want in the game, just like everyone else. lol

I don't have any fears for any big systems so far which is suprising. I really thought id be annoyed at some silly system but non so far.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Clyras
Private

Originally Posted by Headrattle View Post
I actually yelled "NO!" when they said that in the interview.
Indeed, The most pve i'm willing to put up with is automated turret defences. I don't think there's really any place for much AI.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

I fear TTKs being as short as COD.

I fear people will instantly get inside vehicles.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I fear headshots are in but bodyshots will have too much a TTK that headshots are forced. even worse if it makes guns that can't get headshots useless.

I fear they're going to make vehicle boarding instantaneous. also that they won't have the restricted and slow bailing that PS1 had.

I fear the resource system could easily be made un-fun.

I fear a forever grind in anyway.

I fear that now that aircraft will take "skill" it will be used as a excuse to have aircraft Overpowered.. like in many other games... (bf2 as one example.)

I fear the cash shop, selling power or not.

I fear the fact I still don't know what difference there will be between a subber and a f2p.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2011-07-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
EightEightEight
Sergeant Major

I Fear that his will not be my fathers Planetside

I Fear that as much as sony tries to bring in mechanics that will bring new players from other games it may ostracize the players that already liked the game in the first place.

I Fear having to level up to use a max unit - Because I love the old Max Units

I Fear not having the ability to work with my inventory to create support maxes that have the ability to resupply both weapons and support items

I Fear that I will not be able to be a jack of all trades like the current Planetside, I like the ability to work at my own pace and be rewarded for the time and effort I spend doing something.

I Fear that the Micro-transactions will be done wrong, and thus end the game

I Fear that after the game releases and is going good after everything else I Fear has been address and taken care of that things like Core Combat and BFR's will seem like a good idea again
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion