Reloadtitis - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Open 24 hours a day!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-27, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Reloadtitis

Alright, a topic about reloading. I'm surprised no one but a few mentioned that the Reload times are much longer than your standard "3 second reload is an ice age" in games.
Positive or negative?

Author(Not really)'s note: Reloadtitis means the act of constantly reloading even if you are one round short from having a full magazine/clip.

Author's note 2: I'm asking if this is a good or a bad thing in YOUR opinion. Do not start a flame war over what's better than what, please try not to refer to CoD or any other shooters with generally low reload times.

Author's Note 3: RAINBOW!

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-06-27 at 09:18 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
RovingDeath
Sergeant

Re: Reloadtitis

I reload whenever it feels safe to do so, because of that glacially slow reload time. It's definitely saved my ass before. You never know when you will need that one last round...

I will say that having that longer reload time encourages people to aim a bit more carefully and actually makes reloading a decision.

Last edited by RovingDeath; 2012-06-27 at 09:22 AM. Reason: For Great Justice
Old 2012-06-27, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

I always prefer the realistic reload wherein, if you have a 30-round magazine, fire one shot, and then reload, you've just thrown away 29 rounds. Most games don't interpret it this realistically. Battlefield 2142 did (loved that damn game). In the end, this isn't a big problem for me either way, but the realistic-reload is my preference.

~Zachariah
Old 2012-06-27, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I should have picked another thread title. :P
It's about the reload time itself. The title is just a terrible humor attempt. What do you feel about it? Too long or too short? Thanks for the honest replies anyways.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
xnorb
Sergeant

I'm all in for a bullet-count rather than a mag-count.

* High TTK
* Many enemies around
* Not a whole lot of cover

Of course either way would also work, but it would be damn frustrating to
run out of ammo just because you were forced to throw away a clip as
it held too few bullets for a successful encounter.

EDIT - okay, i got tricked into a wrong answer

Regarding reload times:
CoD reloading is stupid
CoD+sleight of hand is even more stupid
15 seconds reloading on the contrary also doesn't increase the fun

3-4 seconds for ~30 bullet clips sounds good.
8-10 seconds for MGs with 100+ bullets

Last edited by xnorb; 2012-06-27 at 09:30 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
I always prefer the realistic reload wherein, if you have a 30-round magazine, fire one shot, and then reload, you've just thrown away 29 rounds. Most games don't interpret it this realistically. Battlefield 2142 did (loved that damn game). In the end, this isn't a big problem for me either way, but the realistic-reload is my preference.

~Zachariah
That isn't realistic at all. Ammo doesn't somehow disappear after it has left your gun. If you take it out of your gun and put it in your ammo pouch, next time you check, it will still be there.

I mean who is stupid enough to throw an entire magazine away because you used one bullet?
Old 2012-06-27, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stew
Major

This isnt a simulation game

second realoding everytime you can is part of any fps and it should stay like this in planetside 2

i found no use in this topic so yeah

THEY will not change it anyway
Old 2012-06-27, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Infernalis
Sergeant

Hum the reload time seems to be ~3 seconds for assault rifle and longer for lmg (just like in BF3).

look at 15:47

I don't want slow reload nor fast, you have to find a balance where you are vulnerable while reloading but not too much. Actually I like BF3 and others games with tactical reload, if you have 0 bullets left it takes a longer time to reload as you have to put a bullet in the chamber.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I'm guessing there will be upgrades/certs that would lower the reload times. Which would make it on par with other current FPS games.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
zomg
Staff Sergeant

The reload speed seemed alright to me based on the videos.

Talking about interesting reload mechanics..

Day of Defeat had a mechanic where you essentially just replaced a half-empty clip/magazine. The half-empty one went back into your "pool" and once you ran out of all other mags, it would then give you the half-empty ones.

In Red Orchestra 2, you actually don't even know how much ammo you've got in your clip. You can check it, but it gives only an estimate in the style of "It's about half full" or "It's almost empty". The only way to know the exact number of bullets left is to count how many you shoot.

Last edited by zomg; 2012-06-27 at 09:41 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I was fine with the reload times we've seen. I could even go a little slower, particularly if it meant an awesome/cool reload animation and/or interesting gun design.

I love the Vanu circular disc-type thingies we've seen, for instance. If animating a reload for that meant a 5 second animation instead of a 3-second one, and it was accounted for in the weapon balancing, that's a-okay by me.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
therandomone
Sergeant

If you want to be "realistic", what what about reload time for VS energy weapons?
Old 2012-06-27, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cufox
Private

It just occurred to me, big "duh" here, but there is no need to rerack when swapping mags from a weapon with a round in the chamber. That should save at least a half second. It is the little details that make things interesting.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
AThreatToYou
Major

Reload times should be long enough to where a faction-specific adjustment would be meaningful. For example, TR weapons might have the shortest reload time because they either a) want the most bullets down range so less down time is better or b) have tested, proven & trained their weapons & soldiers specifically to reload (and fire) faster.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Pozidriv
Corporal

Well long reload times will help at slowing down run & gunners since you are vulnerable for a longer time. This might also help promote the use of sidearms, since they will most likely have a fast draw speed.

I would like to see reload times being fairly uniform between weapon types, as in SMG's: 1-2,5 sec AR's: 2-3,5 sec LMG's: 8 or so sec Pistols could be the fastest of the bunch.

A pistol like the ASP in BLOPS (i know it sounds silly ) would be sweet, low cap, low recoil with nice damage upclose poor at range and a speedy reload. (im not talking about the sleight of hand pro 0.85 sec reload madness on the vid )
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion