Here's a picture the devs should really look over when making the minimap - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Worship Hamma, or die!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Here's a picture the devs should really look over when making the minimap

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Then why does this thread exist? Why does any topic on Planetside 2 exist? It was made quite clear that the minimap from GDC is no where indicative of what they want, right? Why even speculate? If it's there, currently in the game, it's apparent that the current path that they are taking, so changing it would require some discussion.

Don't kill conversation - link to the topic if you're interested enough to say one exists, please.
I think it's important to never stop advocating for a proper game. We fought for a good BF3 starting a year before it released, and we failed to stop any of the casualization. But it's better to at least try and not wait til it's too late.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I think it's important to never stop advocating for a proper game. We fought for a good BF3 starting a year before it released, and we failed to stop any of the casualization. But it's better to at least try and not wait til it's too late.
YOU. You I completely agree with. Thank you for reinforcing my statement.

It doesn't matter what the "current version" shows or what the "intentions" are or are not. Demand a proper, complete game and always bring up significant issues you have until they are fixed.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Truemedic
Private

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
YOU. You I completely agree with. Thank you for reinforcing my statement.

It doesn't matter what the "current version" shows or what the "intentions" are or are not. Demand a proper, complete game and always bring up significant issues you have until they are fixed.
I concur as well. We all understand that the current footage is alpha and is subject to change but we will continue voice our opinions,ideas, concerns until we feel that they understand where we are coming from and why we feel this way and what they can do to either enable certain requests feature or compromise to where both parties are satisfied.

Of course this is all within reason, from my early days here (roughly 3 weeks) this is by far the most mature community I've met in a long time where people respect others opinions (most of the time) and have intelligent debates.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
KrazeyVIII
Corporal

1000x yes. The Battlefield maps got progressively worse the further they started expanding towards the console market. A solid minimap is a quality of life improver. Bad minimaps have made me stop playing games *cough* bf3 *cough*.

Personal needs:

- Stationary direction markers (N, S, E, W)
- Grid feature that tells you what grid you're in
- Teammate markers
- Vehicle markers
- Enemy markers
- Player directional indicator
- Distinguishable terrain

The modern art shit in minimaps nowadays is painful to look at an detrimental to any game that uses that style. BF3 has, without a doubt, the worst minimap I have ever seen in gaming. I would rather it just not exist and let me guess what direction I'm going.

Last edited by KrazeyVIII; 2012-03-25 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Overall, I'm OK with a minimap. It's 3D spotting that's the problem, because even if you have a minimap(which is 2D spotting), you still have to locate the target with your eyes.
This is my biggest problem with 3D spotting.

Minimap spotting is "Yes, there's X in that direction at around this distance. You've still got to work out where he is""

3D spotting is "Aim right here."
Old 2012-03-25, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Kran De Loy
Captain

I <3 Nuclear Dawn mini map, other then no grid lines. And no vehicles. (even the maps that are too big to navigate without them usually end up running on easily recognizable landmarks instead)

http://toastervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Selection-Screen.jpg
(img was too large to include in the post, imo)

Of course it would need some changes other then the map size. The minimap is toggleable between a full zoomed out mode where N is is always N and the player cursor changes direct, or zoomed in version on the player (default view) where the player is always facing N and the map spins around the player.

The white square (if you wondering) is the RTS commander's view point.
The Solid dots (variable size) are priority control points. (gives the commander resource to build stuff)
All players are arrows, colored appropriately for their faction, red or blue. Squadmates are green arrows.
The square icons are RTS built structures. The FPS player view sees allied only structures through walls when they're close enough with a signifying icon that floats over the building. (So we can see where to go to get to a resupply station and/or allied gun turrets)
Enemy players and enemy buildings only show up when a ally is within a certain range and in LOS.
White circles are available spawn points that the RTS commander builds for the FPS players. That white bulls-eye target is the selected spawn point for that player.

Hell what hte hell am I talking about again? I just love ND as it's one of the few games that's tiding me over until I get my hands on PS2. Too bad there are no vehicles.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-26 at 12:00 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion