Gameplay: Flash artillery - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When waiting for last base on 100% cont
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-19, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Flash artillery

In essence, making the flash something like the sniper of vehicles. Low durability, though small and harder to spot, with a long range weapon that has a high skill ceiling on usage.

Along with the typical forward mounted weapons, it could have rear mounted weapons that fire in an arc. From high powered cannons designed to drop shells directly onto a target, to submunition mortars (deploying a weapon before they hit the ground, effecting a larger area. Like gas or a cluster of smaller explosives) or missile barrages with less accuracy, though a massive amount of shrieking explosive projectiles in a short amount of time.

Adding weapons like these to the flash would require certs, and increase the price on it pretty heavily. The flash might need to deploy stabilizers before firing based on the weapon (Rockets don't require it, but sacrifice a lot of accuracy. Mortars may depending on the size of the shell, high powered cannons will without exception).

Ultimately this gives us artillery that is perfect for ambushes, and fire,reposition,fire strategy similar to a sniper.

Point defense

To defend against this, I would think bases (not towers) should be equipped with point defense weapons, which can destroy most munitions in mid air. Engineers can also deploy point defense, or players can use flak weapons to similar effect though with less precision.
This prevents a team from simply shelling a base into submission. You must take out their point defense, or on the defensive side you can construct one or equip for it.

Though out in the open this makes artillery perfect for ambushing targets.

Last edited by Kriegson; 2012-07-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
disky
Sergeant

Re: Flash artillery

If it were possible, it would have to be limited to ~5 rounds maximum and the overall top speed would need to be limited. That's a lot of power for something that costs so little which can be used in groups so easily.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Elays
Private

I think the point defense idea is a bit complicated, possibly difficult to implement from a technical standpoint, and somewhat unnecessary.

Just a mortar on a flash would be simple enough, and I approve of the idea, given limited ammunition and added expense to the vehicle. Accuracy would be quite difficult, limiting it to suppressive purposes. In order to fire with LoS on the target, that exposes the vehicle to aircraft and the operator to snipers. Firing from safety means firing blind, especially without laser-guidance or anything (which there shouldn't be).

In essence you would have tactics similar to those used by insurgents around the world. Drive up, launch a few rounds that may or may not hit something, drive away. Harassing, but not devastating.
Old 2012-07-19, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Elays View Post
I think the point defense idea is a bit complicated, possibly difficult to implement from a technical standpoint, and somewhat unnecessary.

Just a mortar on a flash would be simple enough, and I approve of the idea, given limited ammunition and added expense to the vehicle. Accuracy would be quite difficult, limiting it to suppressive purposes. In order to fire with LoS on the target, that exposes the vehicle to aircraft and the operator to snipers. Firing from safety means firing blind, especially without laser-guidance or anything (which there shouldn't be).

In essence you would have tactics similar to those used by insurgents around the world. Drive up, launch a few rounds that may or may not hit something, drive away. Harassing, but not devastating.
Hrm...yeah point defense might be a little too complicated.... could be simplified by using flak as a point defense (destroy artillery projectiles) if arty becomes as complex as say..the missile barrage or sub munition concepts.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault