Gameplay: Bounty Missions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We all to fight, aight?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-10-19, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Raymac
Brigadier General

Bounty Missions

I wanted to bounce this idea off of you guys to flesh it out a little bit more. Basically, the title speaks for itself...allow players to create missions that place a bounty on specific players. If there is some sort of currency in PS2, then that could be a reward, otherwise XP will work just fine.

The way I imagine it is a player can place a bounty on a specific player, like an enemy commander, or just an uber l337 player. Other players can also chip in to raise the bounty even higher. Then, in order to collect on the bounty, a player would need to accept the mission, so if you happen to randomly kill the player that has a bounty, and you had not accepted the mission then you don't get to collect.

I think an important part of this feature is allowing the player that has the bounty on them be able to see it. Partially so they can be prepared for being a high value target, but also for the cool factor and a source of pride knowing that you have a large price on your head, like Billy the Kid.

Clearly, there will need to be limitations on a system like this because of the potential for griefing, and exploiting. I think that can be handled simply by just limiting how often a new bounty can be placed on a player.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Flames?

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-10-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2011-10-19, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Bounty Missions

I don't especially like it. I'm having a hard time describing why, though. I think it's a combination of seeing it as too much of a hero/villain thing and that I don't think I've ever seen a game with a bounty system that actually worked.
Old 2011-10-19, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

An interesting idea, not sure if I want individual players picked out as targets however, but I certainly see the appeal.

When I was detailing my thoughts for a mission system for PS1 I included an Assassinate mission, where enemy commanders could be targeted in general to try and disrupt their activities.
Old 2011-10-19, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah, I don't view it as a primary mission type thing. Much more of a secondary or tertiary mission. I think it would just be a bit of fluff, or almost like a side mini-game type of thing to keep things from getting stale. I could forsee calling out to your squad "So-and-so was just spotted along the road to Leza. Let's get him."

Also, it could be used as a tactic, you can lure players into a trap, or set up a diversion Obi-wan Kenobi style by using a friendly player that has a bounty on him.
Old 2011-10-19, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

It could be interesting if different objective types had different amounts of reward automatically associated with them.

Successfully capturing a base would be a high reward objective, while killing a specific foot soldier would be low reward, with a slightly higher reward for killing a specific vehicle.
Old 2012-03-28, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

/bump
Old 2012-03-28, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Let's say you put a bounty on some guy. In theory, it would be because you want him to be set as a priority target.

In PS, you die and then respawn. Many times.

Having to specifically accept a mission to get a reward for killing the guy is counter-productive IMO.

I'd rather have that guy become a pinata until his name triggers pavlovian reactions when it appears on the crosshairs.

I like the idea of bounties but I would adjust them to be given on each kill to anyone who drops the target. You can bet they will zoom on the guy anytime his name is around.

A problems I expect with this: people dying repeatedly on purpose to make you go broke if they know you offer rewards.

Another problem is if that system is overused by everyone; it would lose meaning.

Edit: I think I'd rather see automated bonuses on people who are on large killstreaks or who survived a long time (snipers, cloakers, vehicles and the like). This does not exclude your bounty system on top since it's more of a player-generated content thing.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-28 at 06:55 PM.
Old 2012-03-29, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Have you ever played EVE?
Old 2012-03-29, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Purple
Sergeant Major

this idea wouldent be good for this game.
Old 2012-03-30, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Have you ever played EVE?
It's a bit different with EVE where dying is much more consequential than in Planetside.

I don't like this idea, it's counter to the entire ethos of the game where you work towards your empire's good not personal vendettas or your own goals.
Old 2012-04-01, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ThirdCross View Post
It's a bit different with EVE where dying is much more consequential than in Planetside.

I don't like this idea, it's counter to the entire ethos of the game where you work towards your empire's good not personal vendettas or your own goals.
Except that it isn't. In EVE a player with a bounty can just eject into a capsule, pod himself with the help of a friend, and transfer the bounty money into the original "hit's" account. Essentially, a bounty is just depositing cash into the players account.

The only way to prevent this in PS2 would be to forbid the transaction of currency between players. (Which tbh, I really don't know if you can trade this)
Old 2012-04-01, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

If there is such a thing, I think it should be automatically available, and based on MVP status currently held. Like the top 5 of the day per empire or something. It shouldn't be a personal vendetta tool, but a way to put pressure on those who are mopping it up that day. It is the same concept as kill streak announcements in arena/round based competative games. You either stay away from or go right for that "Unstoppable" person.

Now for killing them, i wouldn't suggest a huge or cumulative bonus. Something akin to or a bit more thna a head shot i'd say or something similair, and perhaps special achievements/awards/medals or what ever system they are using (Merit system is my gist) for killing X many kill streakers.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
The only way to prevent this in PS2 would be to forbid the transaction of currency between players. (Which tbh, I really don't know if you can trade this)
Well experience can't be transferred presumably, I'm not really expecting them to allow resource trading either. Even if resource trading was allowed it would probably only be with those on your faction, who shouldn't be able to accept missions from an opposing faction. I don't really like the idea, but I don't think the logic from EvE really applies in this case.
Old 2012-04-01, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Bad idea.
Why?
Destroys teamwork.

[/endtopic]
Old 2012-04-02, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

I like the idea of being able to fulfill the role of a mercenary/assassin/bounty hunter. me and a half dozen of my friends all chasing down a target sounds like great fun to me.

Most others seem to dislike the idea because it would, in theory, destroy teamwork. What if the target was not specific persons? Say one outfit calls out a blood feud against a rival outfit using the mission system? That certainly wouldn't be the detriment to teamwork that a single target might be. Not sure how it would all work, but what do you guys think?

EDIT- Because there is no currency, and SOE is wanting keep track of global stats.. the bounty or mission reward could be based off the target's Kill : Death ratio, Battle Rank, and other factors.

Last edited by PlaceboCyanide; 2012-04-02 at 09:15 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault