New drifters are amazing - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Land of the free, Home of the Deadly
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-20, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
PredatorFour
Major

New drifters are amazing

Obviously going to be the new OP flavor of the month. Insane strafes ftw! Drifter 5 and nova with extended mag is an absolute beast

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-06-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 2013-06-20, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Re: New drifters are amazing

xD I can't use them. Does drifter 5 make you go faster than lower levels? Because I'm having trouble with it atm. Any small bumps or uneven terrain and you slow down to a halt.
Old 2013-06-20, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PredatorFour
Major

Go to VR and try the lvl 5's its crazy! You can basically drift like a car would going round a corner but constant.. for ages. Just keep hold forward + right and slide round in circles it's ace
Old 2013-06-20, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
Go to VR and try the lvl 5's its crazy! You can basically drift like a car would going round a corner but constant.. for ages. Just keep hold forward + right and slide round in circles it's ace
HOLD forward?

I recently saw Wrel's review of the drifter jets, saying that holding down the button would make you descend a bit as you drift... instead, you should tap the button.

Has this been altered then?
Old 2013-06-20, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
PredatorFour
Major

Dunno worked for me but maybe tapping does make it even better. The fact is you drift on the ground so can whizz round in circles with your cross hair in the middle of the screen.
Old 2013-06-20, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Honestly it's not as fast as I was hoping. Mainly outdoors it's disappointing. Either an increase to the speed boost or an increase to terrain-crossing ability would be nice. It still feels situational and isn't something I would trade my normal jumpjets for quite yet.

Although, I'm glad they're trying. At least they're making an effort to support playstyles other than sneaking and flanking.
Old 2013-06-20, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

I can't wait to give this a try.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-20, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
camycamera
Major

haven't tried drifers that much, might practice in VR.

also, why the fuck does going onto this thread in particular leave this thread and take me to some bullshit about "you have won an ipad!"

i'm trying to read, then the bastard leaves this page and takes me there

edit: nvm it stopped

Last edited by camycamera; 2013-06-20 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2013-06-20, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
HOLD forward?

I recently saw Wrel's review of the drifter jets, saying that holding down the button would make you descend a bit as you drift... instead, you should tap the button.

Has this been altered then?
When the update mentioned Drifters I went hunting and found Wrel's review as well. He did say to tap, not hold.

Maybe Higglies has worked some other magic so its changed. Ill be off to the VR to find out as PredatorFour suggested.
Old 2013-06-20, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Anyone else given these a try? I'm interested to hear some more opinions from the community.

With the inaccuracy incurred on your gun and the lacking performance around any sort of obstacles or unlevel terrain, I still find it a bit impractical.

I think it takes a bit too much preparation to use, forcing you to sprint, jump, and float down to the ground to reach maximum speed.

Personally, I would like to not have to jump to use these. Right now they're not going to help too much in the average combat situation, and will most likely fail you if you're trying to use them to escape a hairy fight or circle your opponent mid-firefight.

I think I'll be sticking with basic JJs for now.

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-06-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 2013-06-20, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

So these were fun but nothing to write home about.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-21, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
I saw one on the PTS. He's like gliding across the floor like an iceskater... All that's missing is the Trololol song and the spectacle would be complete.
Old 2013-06-21, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
JumpJetter
Private

My favorite usage of drifters(in beta, don't have 'em now) was to jump off of high towers or buildings on defense and drop C4 on enemies, as the drifters allowed you to keep altitude for a very long time.
Old 2013-06-21, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by JumpJetter View Post
My favorite usage of drifters(in beta, don't have 'em now) was to jump off of high towers or buildings on defense and drop C4 on enemies, as the drifters allowed you to keep altitude for a very long time.
Drifting down from the Crown to Zurvan amp station, that was great fun poor defenders had no idea where we were coming from until it was to late

Going to save up some certs and give this a whirl, looks like loads of fun & I do lovez me LA.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-06-21, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
PredatorFour
Major

Try it with a semi auto shotty and laser sight or any decent hip firing gun, if you know there's enemies round the corner just glide round and throw them a wave Been using the LA speed boost ability too, dunno if this adds more speed to the drifters tho.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-06-21 at 06:00 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion