Tanks - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rejecting quotes like this since '03
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-06, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sputty
Banned

Tanks

Anyone else think that heavy tanks could potentially carry a majr porblem that being that only other heavy tanks will be able to touch and anything else, even a group of MAXes will be mowed down in seconds?
Old 2003-01-06, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Blitzkrieg
Master Sergeant

Nope
Old 2003-01-06, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
avail
Staff Sergeant

But won't the heavy tanks be slower, easier targets? I think the dev team is going to do a good job balancing everything out, so I'm not that worried.
Old 2003-01-06, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Decimator Source: Common Pool
Handling: Anti-Vehicular Missile
Damage: High
Maximum Range: Long
Refire Rate: Not Applicable

The dumb fire Decimator is the most powerful anti-vehicular missile launcher, and features a disposable design; once its payload is fired, the Decimator launcher is immediately discarded. This design is what allows the Decimator to be smaller than other missile launchers.
I'm more afraid of the shrapnel from the explosion then anything else.
Old 2003-01-06, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

I think the heavy tanks will be anti-vehicular more than anti-infantry. If a few guys run up and rocket it, it would prolly go boom.
Old 2003-01-06, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sputty
Banned

I know both the NC and TR tank have a machine gun on it so that could quickly mow down attacks by lighter soldiers. I'm not really worried but was just wondering if anyone else had a slight thought on it.
Old 2003-01-06, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mold
Sergeant

hes my list of tank threats.....Reavers, MINES, grenades, ramming, weakspots, turrets, anti-vehicle MAX's, anti vehicle infantry, anti-vehicle support buggies, hackers, faster light tanks, and other heavy tanks. That and the fact that they are the biggest slowest targets in the game means tank commanders are gonna have their work cut out for them in my opinion.
I think the most common player will have medium infantry armor. And with medium armors having 2 rifle slots, most people will have a primary anti infantry weapon(w/ possible armor peircing rounds) and an anti tank weapon, plus grenades, and even some pistols are deadly to vehicle armor. Personaly i would be frightened to get in a heavy tank :-p
Old 2003-01-06, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sputty
Banned

Well, the threats exist but how effective are they?...Guess we'll have to wait until the game comes out or beta.
Old 2003-01-06, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Don't forget that the heavier tanks are non-deliverable, so they will probably be used based on the terrain and distance to the fight. If you're talking about a base in the desert, heavy tanks will be a huge threat. However, up in the mountains, you should probably be less concerned.
Old 2003-01-06, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sputty
Banned

You can help deliver htose lightnings though. I think more people will sue them simply because they're one man
Old 2003-01-06, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Yeah. Lightnings and buggies may be used mainly to flank and harass, or for any action where mobility is required. Heavy tanks may come more into play for long sieges and pounding chokepoints.
Old 2003-01-06, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sputty
Banned

I'd like to see the cool Blitz of heavy tanks...heh...I think Lightning will be perfect for light skirmishes...The moment the Heavy tnak would show up in a skirmish is the moment that ends being a skirmish and becomes a death trap..and a huge waste of a heavy tank's time.
Old 2003-01-06, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sputty
Banned

Isn't Shopenbulb SCARY?!?!?!

Get him at the site...heh...funny screensaver...and DONATE...
Old 2003-01-06, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
trickstyle
Private

I imagine based on input from everyone and their own testing tanks will get balanced out just fine.
Old 2003-01-06, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Mold
That and the fact that they are the biggest slowest targets in the game means tank commanders are gonna have their work cut out for them in my opinion.
Hopefully this isn't true. The whole tank = slow way of thinking was true during World War 2, but it isn't anymore. Tanks are actually quite fast when they've got some clear ground to traverse, and I'd imagine that 1000 or so years into the future, the guys who make tanks would understand that mobility is and will always be the king of the battlefield. A big, slow, unwieldly vehicle is a big pile of scrap metal waiting to happen.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion