A cautionary thread - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: free of all prejudices. we hate everyone equally
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-09, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

A cautionary thread

Maybe this is unnecessary, or maybe it is imperative. Either way, I thought it should be done given that it seems that Beta is coming up in either 1 week or 6 months... somewhere in between likely.

/rant/

In recent days and weeks I have seen a very distinct shift in attitude on the forums from one of passive suggestion/constructive conversation to an environment of hostility, nostalgia, and impatience with others and development.

Trying to get off my high-horse and stay on it at the same time: Please, do not take that kind of attitude into beta. Having participated in a number of big name betas, including Diablo 3 and SWTOR recently, I know from experience that the first wave of beta testers has a knee-jerk reaction when they see that the game is NOTHING like they had imagined. Its bare, its minimum, and it can be about as exciting as a girl with a crazy monkey curse.

I'm worried that people will react harshly, saying that it looks underdeveloped, unpolished, and not nearly what they thought it was. NO S***. It's beta.

TL/DR: Don't go batty when first beta release isn't the full game as the devs have had us envision it. Its intended purpose is not play the game for fun! - beta is an honor of directly helping devs put finishing touches on, finding bugs, and stress-testing both software and hardware. It's also the time to flesh things out and actually giving body to the game with player personality the magic ingredient. Beta is like Jurrasic Park: You will be handed a skeleton. Don't walk away saying you were looking for a magnificent dinosaur. Velociraptors can smell your malignant dissatisfaction.

/rant/

Anyway - I'm not calling anyone out specifically, just voicing a concern.

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-09 at 01:19 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Re: A cautionary thread

If anyone goes batty for any reason it will probably be because of the adhd kiddy crowd that most of the changes are geared to.

We vets play PS1, surely even as a beta the vets won't be getting mad over its "maybe half doneness"
Old 2012-02-09, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
inigma
Sergeant

beta is where speculation ends and real community work begins. i think ull see a shift back to the positive/constructive side of things real quick. most of us vets are older adults now. makes for a good mature group.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

People are being a bit quick to snap at each other over speculation because they are very passionate about the game, and there's not much else to do right now. Beta will change that, whenever it arrives. Until then everyone does need to take things down a notch or three, but hey... at least they care. The alternative is a dead forum and a game no one gives a damn about.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The mood here changes with the wind, assuming it will be the same in a week or month is just a bad observation.

It's pretty simple really. This is the one group full of the most anticipation for PS2, we're excited and impatient. These Weekly Themes are getting stale, we all ready know the next one will be VS weapons, and we all ready know it will be nothing more then screenshots and a few sentences, if we're lucky we'll get a detail relating to game mechanics like the Repeater having a 3round burst.

The Tweet screens are great but also getting old.

There's just not enough new things to discuss. Virtually all aspects/concepts of the game have been talked about and if you start a new thread about it you're linked to the previous discussion.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-02-09, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Kill Cams
Quick Knifing
1 Hit Headshots
Low Health

Nuff said
Old 2012-02-09, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post
OP
QFfuckingTRUTH.

I hope the beta testers will take their jobs very seriously. I want this beast to be unleashed upon the public in a very fucking shiny state, and for that to happen the beta testers have to be diligent.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

The forums will only get worse until there is official forums, at which point most people will go there, these forums will likly then improve but the official ones, they will then get worse as they lead up to release, until the inevitable launch of server forums, at which point they will implode.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-02-09, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
The forums will only get worse until there is official forums, at which point most people will go there, these forums will likly then improve but the official ones, they will then get worse as they lead up to release, until the inevitable launch of server forums, at which point they will implode.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
It's pretty simple really. This is the one group full of the most anticipation for PS2, we're excited and impatient.
While this is a factor it isn't really the case as to the mood of the forum. Its the fact that the word got out and so we have the ps1 vets who like the game Planetside as more then just "A mass of players fighting" then we have the CoD/BF/Doom/Quake/etc twitch gamers that bounce to pretty much every game and try to turn it into the next shooter they can win by popping lots of Ritalin then they get bored and go into a new beta or to whoever the new fps is.

The vets want thinking and true depth beyond "point at head and win". The Twitcher crowd want to win with no real thinking or tactics involved beyond forming outfits to twitch fight other outfits.

Those are two very drastic views, and hardly any game has ever blended both without it sucking in some way. ether Twitch rules and the thinkers get pissed off by being beaten by the adhd kids or the twitchers get pissed off that their 1337 skillz can't beat some guy who planted a mine on a wall that they ran into blind then rage quit because it wasn't some heavily induced reflex kill.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2012-02-09 at 01:47 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Whalenator View Post
Kill Cams
Quick Knifing
1 Hit Headshots
Low Health

Nuff said
This guy read the thread. You can tell because he has his talking points lined up.

I think this probably demonstrates the biggest problem I see in the community. Lack of explanation or an implied understanding that doesn't really exist and can be beaten by simple debate. I think that's why posters jump behind buzzwords and "COD" and "BF" as umbrella titles when they lack a valid defense. It's gotten really interesting in some threads where you see people don't even try to have a real debate when valid points are raised refuting their buzzwords and umbrella titles. Not hard to be specific on a forum about an idea. If you've played COD or BF and see a similarity imagine how it will be implemented in PS2. Does it match your preconceived implementation concern? If so by all means voice that viewpoint, but do it with a clear explanation so it can be tackled. I think some posters lack the ability to realize there are fixes for problems in ideas that others can bring to the table. Or they fear that fact and want to make it difficult to find flaws so they become overly vague in their complaints. Remember it's good to be logical. Pros and cons. I personally create lists in notepad after reading things so that I can look at topics from everyone's viewpoint.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-02-09 at 02:04 AM.
Old 2012-02-09, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

there are many of you whom i enjoy reading your opinions, BUT lets keep in mind, Planetside 2 is not just for those who played Planetside 1.

Honestly, I feel that this is a huge issue. Iron Sights, Don Ferrone, etc. We need to let some things go in order to progress and have a huge fan base. Notch (Minecraft) and Lewis from the Yogscast are on our side, but we have to keep in mind, WE ARENT THE ONLY ONES THAT ARE GOING TO PLAY THE GAME!

Side note: Don Ferrone can stay as long as he progresses to a more modern orchestration feel with music. I think too many of you are just clinging to nostalgia. Our old memories are great, but those are in the past. This is a new game.
Old 2012-02-09, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Whalenator View Post
Kill Cams
Quick Knifing
1 Hit Headshots
Low Health

Nuff said
Nuff said that you look like a total tool.
Old 2012-02-09, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
People are being a bit quick to snap at each other over speculation because they are very passionate about the game, and there's not much else to do right now. Beta will change that, whenever it arrives. Until then everyone does need to take things down a notch or three, but hey... at least they care. The alternative is a dead forum and a game no one gives a damn about.
Indeed! Passion runs strong in the PlanetSide community.

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post

Our traffic numbers and active forum users have been steadily increasing day after day for a while now. With more people always comes more opinions and more strife. You are somewhat correct here because there is no question many folks will flock to the official forums. Once that happens we will settle back into our normal groove and those folks will occasionally visit for news and comments.

It's important if you guys feel someone is out of line to report them. At this point it's close to impossible for the moderators to monitor everything going on in every thread. If you believe someone is consistently out of line please report them and detail your reasons for doing so.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-09, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

A fair point.

I think a certain amount of strong opinions, expectations and clashes are probably par for the course here. For a good portion of us who've only resubbed briefly between PS1's heyday and now, there's been many years rehashing and exchanging rose coloured stories about the game we all loved.

That exchange is going to polarize our memories a bit. Overall things may settle down in Beta as we have something more concrete to work from in our debates.

Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post
...it can be about as exciting as a girl with a crazy monkey curse.
Anyone else excited by this?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion