Servers, Accounts, and Continent hoping - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sir, Custer was a pussy.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-06, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

Servers, Accounts, and Continent hoping

Don't know if this has been addressed or not. When you sign up and select a server to play on can you server hop or is your account staionary to that server? As far as the continents go, will there be one continent per server or will a map of each one be on each server so you can go help out where your needed or to just go exploring. Will you be able to explore the continents offline or will you just have to stumble your way through them online? This is a key thing for me cause I, like some other players, like to stragitise and plans don't always go the way we want so it would be a nice thing to scout out the land masses. And on a final note will there be a third person view or is is locked to first person?

Any positive input will be greatly appreciated.
So flamers need not apply.
Old 2003-01-06, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Marsman
Major

We don't know if you can carry you character's assets between servers, but yes I believe you can pick the server you want. Also I believe each server cluster will have an entire world on it, not just certain continents. There is no offline mode to explore the world, we'll all be stumbling around online together.
Old 2003-01-06, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

Thx Marsman. Keep us up to date like all of you at PSU have.
Old 2003-01-06, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
darkpiece
Private

So, you can go to different servers, but technically, you will be in the 'same' world type place?

Old 2003-01-06, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Marsman
Major

Yes each server will be a complete world, just with different set of people fighting on it. So if you are on the west cost server, you won't see people who have joined the east coast server, just the people who are in the west coast server with you.
Old 2003-01-06, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
darkpiece
Private

but you still have a choice if you wanna go to a west coast or east coast server?

and how many ppl per server?
Old 2003-01-07, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Marsman
Major

Yes, you should be able to pick any of the servers. Total capacity per server site has yet to be determined but a guess would be between 1000 and 5000 people.
Old 2003-01-07, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vimp
Sergeant

Only thing limiting you from playing on other world servers would be your willingness to play with higher pings due to the servers being further away.

It is estimated that there will be 5000-3000 people on any one world server at a time.
Old 2003-01-07, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrazyMike
Sergeant

Well if I had to guess I would say we can assume they will be following the same model as all of the MMOG's currently out there where each character you create is unique to that server. IF you choose to play on another server, you'll have to start another character.

CrazyMike
Old 2003-01-07, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Each game world is actually multiple servers (a server farm). So, yeah, each continent is likely to be controlled by a single server or so. As for each world, the characters you have there are unique to that server.
Old 2003-01-07, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

So you have a server farm that has one map per server most likely and you fight just on that server ( server farm ). So you don't fight round the world, just with the people on that server? That kind of stinks that it won't be in heavy usage all the time so there will be a lot of land taken when most people are off. But, then again it does sound good to play with people in your own time zone or at least one near you. That will be good that the whole world will be on a server ( serve farm ) so you can go where you want or are needed. Did I get all that right?
Old 2003-01-07, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes the servers are a HUGE part of the devlopment, not like you can run over to Staples and pick up a Planetside server. They had to make everything, its a large farm of servers each one doing a certain task.

East is seperate from west, they are not linked as far as I know. I doubt the server will be empty at night.. people play 24/7 lol

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-01-07, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kriev-Xy
Private

id still like to see that your character can keep his certs and etc when u play either on west or east.. i mean.. kinda sucks to start-off another player.. but it maybe not possible so all you that played D2 wont be surprise with this :/
Old 2003-01-07, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

As I recall, you can join different empires on different servers. Given that, I doubt characters will carry over.

On the other hand, it'll let you try out a different empire's weapons, see what their strengths and weaknesses are, and so on (so you can prey on them later).
Old 2003-01-07, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kriev-Xy
Private

what he said
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion