Idealab's Ideas considered? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop it! This isn't funny!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-11-12, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sabinius
First Sergeant

Question Idealab's Ideas considered?

The ideas at idea-lab are AWSOME
but do you guys think the devs will notice it?
Whaddya you guys think?
And do they ever read these forums?

If you push hard enough, it'll fit.
Old 2004-11-12, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
GeneralRazor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabinius
The ideas at idea-lab are AWSOME
but do you guys think the devs will notice it?
Whaddya you guys think?
And do they ever read these forums?
/FULLY AGREE

There is so much from Planetside Idealab that needs to be not only considered, but actually put in. They have put in a few things, but not nearly enough. PS would be about 10 times better if they implemented the ideas from Planetside-Idealab

MUCH PROPS TO YOU HAYOO...You rock!

P.S. Hayoo, if you ever want to have some sound feedback, hit me up.

Last edited by GeneralRazor; 2004-11-12 at 02:11 PM.
Old 2004-11-12, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The reason more stuff from there isn't in is not because they haven't seen it. It's either because they're doing other stuff, or more likely, because the lead designers at the time didn't want to take Planetside in that direction.

edit: And, of course, because some ideas might look better on paper than they would in the game.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-11-12 at 02:23 PM.
Old 2004-11-12, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sabinius
First Sergeant

Yeah I guess, but how busy could the developers
be? and if we had asheron's calls developers this game would be game
of the CENTURY

Old 2004-11-12, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sabinius
Yeah I guess, but how busy could the developers
be? and if we had asheron's calls developers this game would be game
of the CENTURY
As I said, it's more likely that Hayoo's stuff isn't in the game right now because that's not the direction the developers want to take Planetside.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-11-12 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2004-11-12, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Maybe I have to work harder. LOL. Like Warborn said, if they don't include anything it's cause they have other plans. No biggie. I'm having fun doing the site and it got me my current job.

Maybe I should clarify one exception to the above statement of "no biggie." If in 4 years, the devs NEVER put in a depoyables tracker, I will go certifiable and drown a teddy bear.

I'm sure it's on the to-do list, but you have to admit that currently having to place a deployable just to get a visual message of how many you've already placed defies any logic. Sure you can use your memory, I do it all the time out of necessity. But during a big fight with lots of EMP thrown around, I'd like to know if I have some free ACEs to place on that threated front door without worrying about unwittingly deconstructing the mines I placed at the backdoor. To put it bluntly, that's like forcing me to spend money just to get a record of how much money I have in the bank.

So, yeah, we're overdue for that tracker. I can be patient for another 2 years...but please don't take that long.

Last edited by Hayoo; 2004-11-12 at 11:55 PM.
Old 2004-11-13, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It's incredible how many interface improvements could be made to the game. I can't imagine how confusing Planetside must be to newer players. Where do they go to learn half of the changes that have been made to the game, for instance? Are all the nuances of the Lattice system, capitols, and related topics covered in the in-game help? One of the things I've always liked about Blizzard games is that the interface is so well done that new players have no problem picking the game up. I'm sure it's the opposite for Planetside (and its cousin, World War 2 Online, which had such a poor interface when I played I came very close to not even giving it a chance).

So whatever I may think of some of your other ideas and how well they'd work in Planetside, Hayoo, yeah, definitely hope they do a big interface upgrade in the future, including stuff like deployables tracking.
Old 2004-11-13, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
GeneralRazor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn
definitely hope they do a big interface upgrade in the future, including stuff like deployables tracking.
Funny, that was one of the first mentions on the website. I've been following it for a while.
Old 2004-11-13, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
GeneralRazor
Master Sergeant

The reason more stuff from there isn't in is not because they haven't seen it. It's either because they're doing other stuff, or more likely, because the lead designers at the time didn't want to take Planetside in that direction.

edit: And, of course, because some ideas might look better on paper than they would in the game.
Mr. negative, most of them weren't put in because of lag/serverside issues.

And because they were doing "other stuff" (trying to put cash in SOE's pocket)
Old 2004-11-13, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

And, of course, because some ideas might look better on paper than they would in the game.
Damn trueth right der

Originally Posted by GeneralRazor
And because they were doing "other stuff" (trying to put cash in SOE's pocket)
Great statement, I company like Sony should NEVER be trying to make so much money, bad call for them.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2004-11-13 at 03:10 AM.
Old 2004-11-13, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Mr. negative, most of them weren't put in because of lag/serverside issues.
Nah, the interface stuff can be handled almost entirely client side, and it's just some basic number tracking so it's hardly a resource hog. It wasn't added because they didn't want to take the time to do it, or because they simply felt that the interface was "good enough" with what they had.

Funny, that was one of the first mentions on the website. I've been following it for a while.
You're aware that I used that example to show that on the interface issues like a deployables tracker, Hayoo and I are in agreement, right?
Old 2004-11-13, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sabinius
First Sergeant

another thing, I saw some of the ideas in idea lab, and they seemed tto all consist of small helpful things, but would complicate the game even more.. but I unno, I'm an idiot

Old 2004-11-13, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
EarlyDawn
Major General

Lately, Planetside has been losing its hold on me. If SOE hopes to hold onto the "tactical" group of gamers, they're going to have to start producing deeper gameplay features, not just large mechs or a vehicle here or there.

I really hope they keep the Lab in mind.
Old 2004-11-13, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Airships will save PS...course nobody will want to fight in bases after they do hehe.

Old 2004-11-13, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
GeneralRazor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Lately, Planetside has been losing its hold on me. If SOE hopes to hold onto the "tactical" group of gamers, they're going to have to start producing deeper gameplay features, not just large mechs or a vehicle here or there.

I really hope they keep the Lab in mind.
I'm sorry to say, but your hopes are in vain. Many extremely wonderful, inventive (and easily implementable) ideas have been spoken of, thought about, and hashed over, Just to get the gift that is BFR's.

Command tools should have been one of the first player-invented ideas that should have been brought about. But of course SOE pushes the devs to cater to the individual and not the team (the team is the foundation of PS and the devs seem to put a "blind eye" to this fact, thus eroding the base of the game).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion