PS2 with FX-8350 Vishera Performance? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Enough pancakes to fill your pants!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-18, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Warruz
Sergeant

PS2 with FX-8350 Vishera Performance?

I know these are fairly new but im curious has anyone had a chance to try the new FX processors as i have heard good things(although still lacking in the single threaded department compared to intel im not looking to swap my MB out) but interested to know how planetside works with them?
Old 2012-11-18, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Re: PS2 with FX-8350 Vishera Performance?

I wouldn't build and AMD gaming system unless I was on a budget of some kind or just wanted to give to them a customer as charity. The FX-6300 looks like a good buy though and I imagine it would do pretty well at PS2. If you needed to bump single thread performance, you could shut down 2 cores and make it a 4 core cpu and clock it up a bit higher.

For most games these FX-6300's are a good CPU buy, but they are power hogs and the AMD board selection is pretty limited compared to h61, h67, H77, B75, and Z77 chipsets.
Old 2012-11-18, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

What are you upgrading from?

I imagine that if you go with the faster clocked Visheras (forget cores, go for hertz!) you won't be in a bad position.

But if you're upgrading from Zambezi...don't upgrade in a single (more like half) generation

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-11-19, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warruz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
I wouldn't build and AMD gaming system unless I was on a budget of some kind or just wanted to give to them a customer as charity. The FX-6300 looks like a good buy though and I imagine it would do pretty well at PS2. If you needed to bump single thread performance, you could shut down 2 cores and make it a 4 core cpu and clock it up a bit higher.

For most games these FX-6300's are a good CPU buy, but they are power hogs and the AMD board selection is pretty limited compared to h61, h67, H77, B75, and Z77 chipsets.
I never said i was building one, i already have one. I have never had an issue with AMD with exception to planetside 2. And while im a bit of a AMD fanboy its served me well for a long time.

My Current rig
Phenom 1100T O.Ced to 4.0 ghz
HD 7870
8 gigs of DDR3 1600
Asus Sabertooth 990FX MB

Im not in the market of buying a new MB + Processor , iv looked at performance charts and the 8350 does fairly well and has lots of OC room while having more cores also. While as i said intel does still lead in single thread performance im simply not willing to buy a new MB.

Anyway im not really looking for suggestions, im looking for information in how it does with planetside 2.
Old 2012-11-19, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
My Current rig
Phenom 1100T O.Ced to 4.0 ghz
HD 7870
8 gigs of DDR3 1600
Asus Sabertooth 990FX MB
Just curious about the 1100T, is it not performing well in PS2 after all the optimizations, I cannot imagine it wouldn't at 4ghz. I might be buying a Vishera soon to run some benchmarks on and post them up here.
Old 2012-11-19, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't think I'd do it. The 1100T (that's the X6 black edition thingy, yeah?)

The 8350 is in roughly the same performance bin as the i5-3470 and 3570. It's an upgrade but it's also a bit of extra heat...personally I think I'd be waiting for a whole-shebang upgrade.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-11-19, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warruz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
Just curious about the 1100T, is it not performing well in PS2 after all the optimizations, I cannot imagine it wouldn't at 4ghz. I might be buying a Vishera soon to run some benchmarks on and post them up here.
I was unable to test the last 2 weeks of beta as the fan on my video card died(of course they would not just send me a replacement fan so im waiting for them to fix it), but when i last played i had around 90 FPS when sitting in the sanc, which would drop to 40 in large battles. Im not sure how big of improvement where made in those two weeks but thats the info i remember.

Thats on high for everything but shadows at 1920x1080

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I don't think I'd do it. The 1100T (that's the X6 black edition thingy, yeah?)

The 8350 is in roughly the same performance bin as the i5-3470 and 3570. It's an upgrade but it's also a bit of extra heat...personally I think I'd be waiting for a whole-shebang upgrade.
What does it run with just a stock fan under load for temp? I have an aftermarket CPU cooler for O.C. And yes thats the 6 core last of the phenom line.

Last edited by Warruz; 2012-11-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 2012-11-19, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't know what temperature it runs at, that's going to depend on a lot of stuff...and it doesn't matter that much. Lower power parts can run at higher temps (see Ivy vs. Sandy).
What counts is the heat output and in benchmarks it seems to use more wattage than the Phenom. Not necessarily much or in all cases but it's made on a smaller process and that just screams inefficiency because it's not that much faster.

Old 2012-11-19, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
I was unable to test the last 2 weeks of beta as the fan on my video card died(of course they would not just send me a replacement fan so im waiting for them to fix it), but when i last played i had around 90 FPS when sitting in the sanc, which would drop to 40 in large battles. Im not sure how big of improvement where made in those two weeks but thats the info i remember.

Thats on high for everything but shadows at 1920x1080
40 FPS in a big fight is still pretty good performance. No need to run out and buy an FX8350 over that performance, but if you got some cash burning a hole in your wallet i'd be interested to hear you results.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum